The Pink Nightmare

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

greene-r74
Approved Member

The Pink Nightmare

Post by greene-r74 »

I bought this car just for the chassis, tires and the clear gear cover. Early edinger, it looks like it was bench tested. Fried a servo then put back in the box. The worst part was that everything was dyed pink.. EVERYTHING. Even the idler gears and shock pistons.

So I took the chassis, tires and gear cover to finish my other Edinger car.
Then dyed the pink parts black, bought a straight ebay chassis and made this. I already built an Old is new car. So I decided to make a "Better with age" car. I wanted to keep it as old and crappy as possible yet modern and cool. So I used old tires, old shocks, 32 pitch gears, kept the sway bar. Then I did a few cool touches like polishing the nose and wing tubes, installed a body mount on the steering post. Kept the old S148 servo but installed a 2.4 ghz reciever and a cheap $60 3000kv brushless motor/esc combo. Need to find a body for it but man its fun to drive. That motor combo is perfect for a 6 gear car.
As you can tell by the tires the 3000kv motor is plenty. Only ran it about a minute and a half but it shredded the tires. Good thing they weren't that great to begin with.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: The Pink Nightmare

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Guess that you don't want to hear that I am 5 for 5 on undyeing pink parts back to white-

creeker
Approved Member

Post by creeker »

I just picked up the same motor. it is coming on Monday. One thing to watch out for is the running temp of the leopard motor. Sonce I payed for it I have been researching and it appears as though they do not handle heat well and should be kept closer to 150 deg instead of the fairly standard 160 deg.
Cadillac RC10
'92 RC10 CE Stealth
B4 RS
10L Project
Nitro Rustler

Synergy
Approved Member

Post by Synergy »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Guess that you don't want to hear that I am 5 for 5 on undyeing pink parts back to white-
Do you have a thread on this Sir?
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Here's my TC Showroom
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=18028

greene-r74
Approved Member

Post by greene-r74 »

Synergy wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:Guess that you don't want to hear that I am 5 for 5 on undyeing pink parts back to white-
Do you have a thread on this Sir?

Thats exactly what I thought. I found that CLR got a little bit of it off. I had a full set of white parts ready to go and was looking for an excuse to make something black anyway.

greene-r74
Approved Member

Post by greene-r74 »

creeker wrote:I just picked up the same motor. it is coming on Monday. One thing to watch out for is the running temp of the leopard motor. Sonce I payed for it I have been researching and it appears as though they do not handle heat well and should be kept closer to 150 deg instead of the fairly standard 160 deg.
I read that too. I also read where one guy rebonded the magnet with red loctite. At first I thought that 3000kv wouldn't be enough but I was really happy with how it ran. I'll be interested to hear how you like yours. This weekend I'll mount up a set of anacondas and run a full back in the street and see what kind of temps I get.

creeker
Approved Member

Post by creeker »

Just watched a video of a guy repairing with Red loctite, looks easy. Hopefully won't have a problem but if I do glad to know I can repair. Can't wait to get mine. Let us know how the anacondas work out.
Cadillac RC10
'92 RC10 CE Stealth
B4 RS
10L Project
Nitro Rustler

greene-r74
Approved Member

Post by greene-r74 »

The anacondas work good. Got some nice traction. 3 wheelin' around corners. Came off a little bump and did a slap wheelie and flipped it backwards. Its also cool listening to that old time diff spool up. Not slipping, but tight corners it will unload. I might have to make a video. Scratched up my nice motor plate. :(

creeker
Approved Member

Post by creeker »

Got 3000kv installed in my CE yesterday and got to play a little. Now I have to work on the gearing. Will probably run it around for a while today to get a good read on the temp, but then will have fun figuring the rest out. May need a bigger motor for the stealth trans soon :twisted:
Cadillac RC10
'92 RC10 CE Stealth
B4 RS
10L Project
Nitro Rustler

greene-r74
Approved Member

Post by greene-r74 »

I'm running a 6.17 final drive with tall tires. Is the 6 gear a 1.83? I think it is. Anyway I'm running 32 pitch 54/16 Hope that helps you out. You might need to run like a 78/28 to come close.

creeker
Approved Member

Post by creeker »

greene-r74 wrote:I'm running a 6.17 final drive with tall tires. Is the 6 gear a 1.83? I think it is. Anyway I'm running 32 pitch 54/16 Hope that helps you out. You might need to run like a 78/28 to come close.
No clue. Have to read some faq's to figure out my gearing. Right now running 81/19 on the stealth 2.25. The motor is only hitting about 100 f. I can tweak some more out of it :mrgreen: . Not sure how anyone controls is on the grass or dirt as when I power up fully it wants to do donuts. I suck. Maybe 3000kv is plenty. Thanks for listing your gearing.
Cadillac RC10
'92 RC10 CE Stealth
B4 RS
10L Project
Nitro Rustler

greene-r74
Approved Member

Post by greene-r74 »

Ouch your at 9.59 Whats the biggest pinion you have? I'm thinking like a 28/29 That will get you in the 6.2 to 6.5 range Shouldn't be spinning doughnuts that bad. what surface do you run on? and which tires are you using. Slipper adjusted right?