3d10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Re: 3d10

Post by discgolfer72 »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:56 pm
discgolfer72 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:29 pm got the rear transmission brace sorted out for using a rc10gt gearbox
That's awesome, well done.
Me thinks you might need a wheelie bar. :D
thanks lol. it sure has some umph! . i exploded the rear plate on it while i was testing radio gear . one went full throttle and it was on my bed . one wheel caught and had enough force to rip the arm holders out of the plate lol . i am one step ahead of you on the wheelie bar lol! this thing has been in my stash forever ,time to use it
Attachments
IMG_20240404_165949841_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240316_190135875.jpg

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

discgolfer72 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 pm
it is using a rc10gt transmission with a electric conversion kit and i drilled the top so i could install the top shaft the opposite direction.
Nice build.

I think you misunderstood the laydown transmission concept... :mrgreen:

That's more like a reversed laydown, moving CGR even further back, loving your builds none the less.
*** POWDER - KING ***

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

XLR8 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:39 pm
More research is needed. I have a BBX, Axial and Injora transmissions but I'd rather not tear into them at the moment.

Imagine a TA06 diff dropping into an AE Stealth case -- how crazy would that be! :D

EDIT: The Stealth diff gear is much smaller tooth count so no chance replacing it with a TA06. Anyway, curiosity got the best of me and I've opened the BBX and Injora cases and discovered the diffs are interchangeable after swapping out the bearings; Injora requires 16x8 while BBX uses 15x10 (easily sourced). But there's a problem. With bearings, the BBX diff assembly is maybe a couple mm's wider than the Injora so it won't allow the case halves to close. :?
I assume you installed the BBX diff with the BBX bearings into the Injora case, correct? I realize that the bearing diameter is too small for the case, I just wanted to check back what exactly you compared. I did find 10x16mm bearings but they are even wider than the BBX bearings 15x10 (5mm vs. 4mm). So was the BBX diff already too wide with the 10x15x4mm bearrings installed? Or did you actually have 10x16x5mm bearings on hand to try it out?

Update: I also found 10x16x4mm bearings, so at least no extra width for the diff. Now if you look at the Axial / Injora case there seems to be enough material in the bearing area to deepen the hole by a mm on each side:
Attachments
Axial_2.JPG
Axial_1.JPG
*** POWDER - KING ***

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Chewbacca wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:20 am
More research is needed. I have a BBX, Axial and Injora transmissions but I'd rather not tear into them at the moment.

Imagine a TA06 diff dropping into an AE Stealth case -- how crazy would that be! :D

EDIT: The Stealth diff gear is much smaller tooth count so no chance replacing it with a TA06. Anyway, curiosity got the best of me and I've opened the BBX and Injora cases and discovered the diffs are interchangeable after swapping out the bearings; Injora requires 16x8 while BBX uses 15x10 (easily sourced). But there's a problem. With bearings, the BBX diff assembly is maybe a couple mm's wider than the Injora so it won't allow the case halves to close. :?
I assume you installed the BBX diff with the BBX bearings into the Injora case, correct? I realize that the bearing diameter is too small for the case, I just wanted to check back what exactly you compared. I did find 10x16mm bearings but they are even wider than the BBX bearings 15x10 (5mm vs. 4mm). So was the BBX diff already too wide with the 10x15x4mm bearrings installed? Or did you actually have 10x16x5mm bearings on hand to try it out?

Update: I also found 10x16x4mm bearings, so at least no extra width for the diff. Now if you look at the Axial / Injora case there seems to be enough material in the bearing area to deepen the hole by a mm on each side:
First, my apologies to discgolfer72; this conversation probably should be posted in a separate thread. Somewhere Jeff has posted a detailed review of the Austar/Injora transmission but after searching the message board for an hour this morning, I can't find it. :( Maybe there's a way to move these unrelated posts to a more appropriate thread.

Anyway, I'll try to keep this brief...
Injora vs BBX diffs.JPG
Yes, the BBX diff assembly is too wide to fit the plastic Austar/Injora cases.
Austar/Injora assembly width outside-outside bearings approximately 21.2. Bearings are 5mm wide
BBX assembly width without shims (I removed them after taking the photo) approximately 24.3. Bearings are 4mm wide.

O.A. width of Austar plastic cases is about 25.2mm so there isn't much material available for modification. Maybe it's possible to increase bearing bore depth.
Doug

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

Chewbacca wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:39 am
discgolfer72 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 pm
it is using a rc10gt transmission with a electric conversion kit and i drilled the top so i could install the top shaft the opposite direction.
Nice build.

I think you misunderstood the laydown transmission concept... :mrgreen:

That's more like a reversed laydown, moving CGR even further back, loving your builds none the less.
i have done many of the true gt conversions using the gt chassis and running them mid motor ish (most posted here in the t section .but also most being lost to photobucket hell ). i was digging through my stash and found the old electric kit so thought i would throw it on one . due to the design of the 3d printed chassis if i had left it stock (not flipped top shaft) it would not have fit , if i made it fit then it would remove any and all the parts that reinforce this chassis and stiffen the rear plate . i have a shorty pack version of the chassis that puts the battery forward right behind the servo , once i get it finished i may use it on this one to even out some of the rear weight .
i did start working on a rear cover/brace last night ,just need to add the holes for attaching the wheelie bar
Attachments
asdasdasd.jpg

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

XLR8 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:54 am
Chewbacca wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:20 am

First, my apologies to discgolfer72; this conversation probably should be posted in a separate thread. Somewhere Jeff has posted a detailed review of the Austar/Injora transmission but after searching the message board for an hour this morning, I can't find it. :( Maybe there's a way to move these unrelated posts to a more appropriate thread.

Anyway, I'll try to keep this brief...

Injora vs BBX diffs.JPG

Yes, the BBX diff assembly is too wide to fit the plastic Austar/Injora cases.
Austar/Injora assembly width outside-outside bearings approximately 21.2. Bearings are 5mm wide
BBX assembly width without shims (I removed them after taking the photo) approximately 24.3. Bearings are 4mm wide.

O.A. width of Austar plastic cases is about 25.2mm so there isn't much material available for modification. Maybe it's possible to increase bearing bore depth.

you guys are good . im interested in finding a diff myself (just 100 other things to do first lol , cub scout rocket day is tomorrow and im in charge of 30 kids launching lol) . id rather the info pop up in here so i see it vs having to go track it down lol

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »

i had to make a hobby store run today for some final stuff for our scout rocket day that is tomorrow , so i picked up some rod ends while i was out.
IMG_20240405_150659561.jpg

. decided to test print the rear guard while i was packing .
rocket day is ready to go
IMG_20240405_151743611.jpg
and the rear guard finished . it fits about like i expected it would . now that i have some more reference points i will adjust it according , hopefully round 2 i get it right lol
IMG_20240405_150730066.jpg
IMG_20240405_150718905.jpg
IMG_20240405_150714155_HDR.jpg

discgolfer72
Approved Member

Post by discgolfer72 »