Rebuilding My RC10T

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BakedMopar

Rebuilding My RC10T

Post by BakedMopar »

Hello all. I am new to this forum but not new to the AE world. I have been involved with this hobby for about 20 years. My first Hobby grade RC was a Kyosho Big Brute, I got when I was 8 years old. About two kits later I recieved an RC10T for my 10th B-day. I had the first one from my local hobby shop as they were on order for seemed an eternity. Anyways I ran it for years then it sat in storage.

I now have a family of my own and my little girl is now showing interest in the hobby. After some debate of what to get her I decided to pull my RC10T out and rebuild it. I could have bought something and call it good but nothing like handing down something to the next generation. Here it is.

I was thinking about putting it all back to stock but I am going to go a different route. There's a couple of things that will get updated.

First we're going to start off with a decent "A" stamped gold tub chassis. I'm using this because the newer Stealth holes dont match up to the old stuff, but is so close that the mounting holes would run into each other.

All these parts will be re-dyed. Throughout the years the dye actually faded on most of the original AE stuff. All of the RPM stuff held its color very nicely though.

Next we're going to dropping a new T4 complete transmission.

Transmission is mounted.

Shock towers Cleaned up.

The lost art of dyeing.

Heres the Chassis all polished up.

It's like Christmas in June!!

The begining of assembly.

Switched over to 3/16" axles so I can interchange between the SC10 stuff. I also don't have to stock two different size wheels.

Here it is complete less body. Test drove it and whoa flashbacks!

Body is done! I ended up using a T2 body. I got in all requests :lol:

Well It's all done. Thanks eveyone for following along with me on the build.

a01butal
Approved Member

Re: Rebuilding My RC10T

Post by a01butal »

I'd say that's a pretty slick hybrid, meaning the best of all worlds you've got there. Was the chassis scratched on the bottom very badly. It looked like it polished up beautifully can you tell us what steps you took to get it so nice and smooth.

This is all very interesting!

blown5.0
Approved Member

Post by blown5.0 »

Nice looking rig, polished aluminum is always nice, its the upkeep that sucks! :D

BakedMopar

Post by BakedMopar »

Thanks. The chassis had very few scratches. I used oven cleaner to take off the anodizing. Then a fine wire brush followed by wet sanding up to 2500 grit. Then a quick polish followed by sealer. I don't know what the sealer is called (brothers stash used on auto wheels) but you apply it and it holds the shine for a very long time. It even resists finger prints.

On a side note. The aluminum has a lot of flaws probably being that there stamped.

Brat
Approved Member

Post by Brat »

Super Hybrid i'll say. I'm also waiting for my B4 tranny to arrive and will be doing a buggy of similar if not the same. :mrgreen: Anyway, did you custom made the aluminium block under that tranny? Can you give me the specification?
My collections:
Nikko Brat, Nikko Dictator II, Nikko Thunder Eagle, Kyosho Pure Ten Nitro, Associated RC10, Associated RC10T, Associated RC10 Graphite, Associated B4, Tamiya Tamtech 1/24 Porsche 962C, Tamiya Striker, Tamiya TRF 501X WCE.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Very neat build, but not sure how rigid that rear end will be. I would cut a square out of the chassis to drop that transmission down. Lower cg's are better and it will be more rigid.

How are you bolting the front of the wing/body mount? You need to get them bolted to the rear tower or bulkhead to reduce flex in the chassis! Some type of brace from the motor plate to the rear of the chassis whould be good as well. My 2 cents. 8)

BakedMopar

Post by BakedMopar »

slotcarrod wrote:Very neat build, but not sure how rigid that rear end will be. I would cut a square out of the chassis to drop that transmission down. Lower cg's are better and it will be more rigid.

How are you bolting the front of the wing/body mount? You need to get them bolted to the rear tower or bulkhead to reduce flex in the chassis! Some type of brace from the motor plate to the rear of the chassis whould be good as well. My 2 cents. 8)

I originally was going to drop it in the chassis, BUT there were some issues. The front of the tranny is where the trans mounts (only two holes under the back side). I would then have two options. Move it back to clear the rear shock tower or cut the front mounts off. If I was to move it back I would then be able to make a mount but the trans sits way too far back. The motor plate hits the rear of the chassis. It also creates a very ugly angle in the drive line. The outdrives then doesn't clear the rear arm mount and the dogbones bind.

It may not be super low COG but it's really just to get my daughters feet wet. The wing/body mounts have been mounted to the shock tower after those pictures were taken with the body off. I am not worried about the chassis flex eighter. On a side note when using the Litesink motor plate it doesn't remount it to the back of the chassis either. I currently have a 55t lathe motor in there with a 16.15 ratio so lucky it goes 5mph. It does pull some nice wheel stands though and about an hour in run time with a 3000mah sport pack :lol:

Thanks for your concerns

delsami
Approved Member

Post by delsami »

awesome with the t4 trans...makes me wonder how hard it would be to make a sc10/rc10t????
xxx,lunchbox,blackfoot,t4,2 rc10ce's,rc10 graphite,rc10 worlds car,2 rc10 t's,xx4---GONE:mip4wdrc10,rpm worlds,houge rc10,super clod,sand scorcher,f103,frog,xxxt,b2,b3,tc3,jrx2,fox,yr4-m2 usa,yz-10 many more LOL

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

I know dis guy he workn on rig sounds like one u es talking about, Ok maybe he was wrkn on et :( , He kinda slow Mexican but ju know he dus goood wrk :mrgreen: IM liking, I mean this guy i know likes, the thought of using new tranny in the truck build

vintage AE
Approved Member

Post by vintage AE »

nice looking truck, I think your daughter will enjoy it a lot. Nice to see that I'm not the only one dying my parts :D I am glad someone took the plunge and installed the new trans on an old chassis. I thought of doing this myself, but decided not to. Good job.