My 12L4 is now road worthy (New pics 8/15)

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

My 12L4 is now road worthy (New pics 8/15)

Post by SmallScaleSmitty »

I know...I know, it's not vintage, but it is on-road! :mrgreen: The 12L4 I snagged on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270415689809 is now ready to tear up the road...err appartment complex tennis court in my case. After getting the funds together and waiting for my saddle pack to arrive from cheapbatterypacks, my L4 is now ready for her de-flowering. Here are some pics of ole Bessie Lou after some living room hijinx freaking out the cat last night. :)

Reedy Flash 13T double

Futaba S3002 dual ball bearing metal gear servo

Futaba MC330CR ESC

CheapBatteryPacks.com 5000mAh Elite NiMH 4 cell saddle pack

And here are some pics after her bodyless maiden run.

Sliding into the fence around the tennis court took a bite out of the right front.

Dirty feet.

The chassis kissed the pavement a time or two.

And the only casualty was one lost body clip (forgot to take them off the posts :oops: )

She runs like a scolded frog but those green dots don't grip the tennis court too well, plus the diff was slipping. I'll get her dialed in though. :wink:

Taylorm
Approved Member

Re: My 12L4 is now road worthy (with pics)

Post by Taylorm »

cats for some reason don't like being chased by cars......... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

She sure looks pretty, any thoughts on a body? And is she for racing or more just good ole fun?

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Kcal wrote:She sure looks pretty, any thoughts on a body? And is she for racing or more just good ole fun?
Thanks. Yea, I have an unpainted Protoform Speed 12. I got to get the stuff together to get it painted. It's just for fun. There are no tracks here in town, otherwise, I probably would race. I haven't actually raced in the better part of 20 years.

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

I checked out the body online very nice, what’s your color scheme going to be? That’s always the hardest part for me, well that and my less then perfect painting skills.

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Kcal wrote:I checked out the body online very nice, what’s your color scheme going to be? That’s always the hardest part for me, well that and my less then perfect painting skills.
That's true, it is tough deciding design and color scheme. I'm not a great painter either so my plan is to keep it relatively simple with mostly silver and some black seperated by 1/8" metallic blue pin stripes following some of the body lines. I toyed with the idea of doing multiple pinstripes and adding another color like red or orange, something to make it pop but I think I'll stick to the cool and neutral colors. Maybe one day I'll get an airbrush and try to hone some skills at doing ghost flames or something fancy shmancy, but for now I'm going to keep it simple.

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

Im not the best painter either . I use a airbrush city GD102 . there cheap to buy and have parts if you need them. I will never go back to spray cans you have way better control with the airbrush .
SmallScaleSmitty wrote:
Kcal wrote:I checked out the body online very nice, what’s your color scheme going to be? That’s always the hardest part for me, well that and my less then perfect painting skills.
That's true, it is tough deciding design and color scheme. I'm not a great painter either so my plan is to keep it relatively simple with mostly silver and some black seperated by 1/8" metallic blue pin stripes following some of the body lines. I toyed with the idea of doing multiple pinstripes and adding another color like red or orange, something to make it pop but I think I'll stick to the cool and neutral colors. Maybe one day I'll get an airbrush and try to hone some skills at doing ghost flames or something fancy shmancy, but for now I'm going to keep it simple.

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

Please forgive the drywall dust in addition to my hobbies I have other callings but as far as silver and black go..... I used electrical tape (poorly) (great way to go if used properly) a silver spray can and an airbrush for the black if you go similarly wait for the paint to dry super well and then clean the whole body until it is spotless in-between colors. That would be my best advice I also have another body that will not suffer the same fate, it seems everyone likes the 1/12th and no one is looking at 1/10th any longer as I am a basher and a poor one at that, I prefer the larger cars my mom always told me it would make me go blind but as usual I didn't listen..................... Oh well live and learn.................. or not...............
Attachments
cars 049 (Small).jpg
cars 048 (Small).jpg

Kcal
Approved Member

Post by Kcal »

Oh shes light wicked fast and far beyond my driving capabilities, I have seen that car pass me at 30mph in the air a foot or so perfectly level without a body, now I prefer restorations now as they are more challenging and in depth to me personally. But for a solid car few people have that hits the per verbal spot.

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Well, here she is with her new 'lid'. I till have some trimming to do and some height adjustments. It's by no means perfect, some bleeding spots and I even flubbed up the front mouting post holes. I'll post more once I get it all stickered up. :wink:

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I'm tellin' ya man, you have to bring that car to Nashville for some racing!! Thunder has a huge carpet track and some of the most helpful guys. The guy that owns the place is a national level driver, he gives me a rent a 12th scale for road racing :wink: It's a very laid back racetrack, they usually have 4-6 12th scalers and a bunch of guys running trans am touring cars. We're racing this friday at 7. PM me if you want any more details.

The car looks real nice by the way!

Mark
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

SmallScaleSmitty
Approved Member

Re: My 12L4 is now road worthy (New pics 8/15)

All dressed up....