graphite chassis' in racing???

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

graphite chassis' in racing???

Post by PBR Allstar »

I was thinking last night, and it occured to me that I don't remember seeing any pro or top level drivers running an AE graphite chassis in competition? some twin deck stuff like masami, or modded/worlds tubs like BK, But did any pros run the AE graphite chassis in a single deck configuration???

scr8p
Administrator

Re: graphite chassis' in racing???

Post by scr8p »

i know masami did. i'm sure there were others.

rraeford
Approved Member

Post by rraeford »

I once overheard a conversation with Jay Halsey at a race the Florida WInternationals and he said that Associated didn't want them running equipment that wasn't from the kit car (other than the stuff no one could actually see, I imagine). Makes sense when you think about it. He also made a comment about the graphite chassis being. "a rubber band."

FWIW

rraeford

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I have raced for many years with many associated drivers (and of course others). One thing about the RC10 series of cars that no one talks about (I asssume it is because few know) is the inharent ability of aluminum to absorb and dissipate stresses placed on it compared to composites. I remember discussing the Fusion speed tub chassis with Derek Furutani (associated factory drive at the time), and his inability to get his car dialed in with the graphite tub chassis compared to his standard aluminum counterpart. And watching the car on the track it handled noticably worse than his usual car. I (and the peaple who drove them) noticed even the associated woven chassis (which were quite flexible) were much harder to drive in high bite applications compared to the aluminum cars. They didn't jump as well, and were far less predictable. The only time I have seen composite chassis cars perform well in off road is when the are made very rigid. My two favorite handling 2wd buggies- Schumacher Cougar Works, and Associated Worlds/Team car. Both aluminum chassis :) . I believe that an aluminum chassis works as an dampening component, and allows for a wider working range in chassis setup. It also allows for a more forgiving car that is easier to throw down on a new track, and get the car working resonably well in a short period of time.-Jeff

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

in one of the articles in the scan section, i remember reading something about the offroad drivers favoring the tub chassis over the graphite. that's the complete opposite for guys that used the rc10 for oval purposes. most of the guys in my area back in the day, if they bought a tub kit, it was only because it was cheaper than the graphite kit, and they were going to be using an aftermarket lto (raborn, composite craft, etc.) chassis when they built it anyway.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Like this?

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

remember cliff lett's rc10 graphite dirt oval racer from the ads?

the graphite chassis' wouldn't last long on the bumpier and big jump tracks.
after a couple of hard landings or running-into's, that chassis would be toast. i remember clearly hearing one cracking at the nose, during a race. sounded like toast being broken.

i was reading about how the fibres react to forces put upon it during a race. how they also could contribute to a tweaked chassis or bike. like carbon fibre, it has a short life on the race course. be it formula one or on a tour de france bike. the fibre's only could take so much abuse before cracking under pressure. always wondered why these teams toss/scrap perfectly new looking noses, wings, or even bike forks away? that's why you see a lot of these touring bikes and f1 cars being sold after a race/season. these guys, clearly, have the funds to have another fresh part/chassis made.

i pretty sure the guys at the associated factory knew about this, and that's why you didn't see any of their drivers using them. the aluminum rc10 tubs had the benefit of its aluminum sides supporting the bottom part of the chassis. real stiff chassis. but, when you needed some flex on certain tracks you would see some of these drivers cut away a piece from the aluminum sides. like halsey, masami, lett, and others.

honestly, i think the graphite chassis was made due to the popularity of the hobby horizon tq10 kit, and the dirt oval crowd.