Wow, I've never seen one of these before!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: Wow, I've never seen one of these before!

Post by mikedealer »

it really is a decent price.. contact dynotech and see what they would charge for making the cad and custom cutting the plates. i paid over $150 for a plate and shock towers. NO chassis, and believe me the quality and price was great for what it was.. this is definetly a great buy.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

I knew mike would get it. I think I might get it myself after Mike snaps some pic and update his ride. :mrgreen:

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

I asked the seller if the chassis was countersunk, he said no, but could do it upon special request, he didn't say that it cost more for it. I would ask him before they finish the order to countersink it if you want.

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

looks like a rc10 option also
http://cgi.ebay.com/Team-Associated-RC10-RC10T-Carbon-Fiber-Chassis-TBG_W0QQitemZ250531464986QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRadio_Control_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3a54d6c71a

i woulda like to see a composite craft honestly but that is cool too

i have the countersinks and drill press i can take care of

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

that rc10 chassis look pretty friggin' cheesy. especially how the nose brace tubes attach to the upper chassis rails. nice. :roll:

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

ya it does look like a disaster waiting to happen lol.

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

In response to the Ultima parts- I like some of them, but I don't really think that most of the original parts were worth reproducing in carbon. The towers were not well designed originally. They had rigity issues, and very limited adjustments. The chassis (I would prefer) to see as a one piece molded design, or at least with a stamped front section like an RC 10. The upper plate looks great, but I also don't like it being an exact copy of the original (like mentioned before- mechanical speedo mount, etc). And last but not least, the motor plate. They look cool, but because this (as with most models) model uses THREADED holes in the std aluminum plate, I think the holes in the CF plate will become worn and strip in a short period of time. Most of these cars (rc) are designed by engineers with years of materials engineering experience. These designs reflect this. They have materials that are used properly in the areas where they should be used (aluminum motorplates, composite shock towers, steel drive shafts, etc), and for the most part this should not be strayed from unless there is a good reason. Remember most of us have what I like to call "originalty issues", and should be aware of this. This means that you don't have to be different for the sake of being different, and it is OK to copy someone as long as it was done properly, or requires little improvement. And on that note, my next project is an Ultima project like you have never seen before :lol: . -Jeff

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

jay dub, I'll be looking forward to that build!

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

i dont think the ultima designers took into account for material engineering experience, or at least, they really sucked at it

-Remember the red shock clamps on the shocks? i have a bag of 30 of them, all broken in the same spot.
-How bout the turbo ultima composite top plate, i have about 4-5 of those that are broken in the same exact spot from front impacts.
-The rear bulkhead material is trash also, flexible as hell!
-original rear motor plates were just plain aluminum, not hardened or anodized in anyway, flexible also.
-the original shock towers in that thin aluminum also? those were just a mess

then roll back 3 years previous to 1984, the release of the rc10. Overall, i think the car is pretty solid and no real "weak point" or "weak defective" single part. the materials were pretty solid. The Turnbuckles were terrible but they suck on any car even today unless they are titanium
Jay Dub wrote:In response to the Ultima parts- I like some of them, but I don't really think that most of the original parts were worth reproducing in carbon. The towers were not well designed originally. They had rigity issues, and very limited adjustments. The chassis (I would prefer) to see as a one piece molded design, or at least with a stamped front section like an RC 10. The upper plate looks great, but I also don't like it being an exact copy of the original (like mentioned before- mechanical speedo mount, etc). And last but not least, the motor plate. They look cool, but because this (as with most models) model uses THREADED holes in the std aluminum plate, I think the holes in the CF plate will become worn and strip in a short period of time. Most of these cars (rc) are designed by engineers with years of materials engineering experience. These designs reflect this. They have materials that are used properly in the areas where they should be used (aluminum motorplates, composite shock towers, steel drive shafts, etc), and for the most part this should not be strayed from unless there is a good reason. Remember most of us have what I like to call "originalty issues", and should be aware of this. This means that you don't have to be different for the sake of being different, and it is OK to copy someone as long as it was done properly, or requires little improvement. And on that note, my next project is an Ultima project like you have never seen before :lol: . -Jeff

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Hey bdrmbully, post pics of the optima or start a thread.
i would love to see it all together. :D

bdrmbully  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Post by bdrmbully »

m_vice wrote:Hey bdrmbully, post pics of the optima or start a thread.
i would love to see it all together. :D
look for my posts in this section they are in here and other ultima's there dope a lope!! lol hardly even get responses on them but they're around...
ok here i'll make it easier ....
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=12612
2nd place is just the 1st loser

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Can someone comment on the thickness of the carbon? I bought some 959 parts from him and they were a bit thin. I would be afraid that if you did run it, it would snap in two pieces.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com