=getting a little busy here!=

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

badhoopty
Approved Member

=getting a little busy here!=

Post by badhoopty »

thanks to all of ya for coming here and talkin about these silly things!!! since i'm usually non-internet on the weekends its REALLY cool to see so many posts come monday. i can only imagine all the groovy 'buy it nows' i miss out on...

i've already learned alot more about them from you guys, and hopefully we can poke and prod some more and get some solid history recorded/documented as well as establish a little community of geeks who like 20 year old mini dune-buggies.

feel free to give any suggestions on how to improve the board. along those lines i'm thinking we should create a read-only section for scanned material, those posts should really have a place of thier own and not just be buried under multiple pages of other stuff.

i've been approving alot of peeps for the buy/sell forum as well, but i cant stress enough to really use solid judgement when making deals. i can see in the future implementing further restrictions to its access such as being a member of this site for a certain amount of time with x-number of posts... but for now buyer beware, and ask alot of questions and get alot of pics if something is in question before you send some dude you dont know money or worse yet send something in trade.

also, if you change your forum look to the 'rc10' version in your profile, you can thank apexspeed for the logo. it took him maybe 5 minutes to do what melvin and i have been putting off for ages.

thx apex!!

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

My thoughts exactly. This forum is taking off. I'm excited.

A really agree about the scanned material section idea. Some members have been posting some awesome old ads and articles. I think having a whole section just for that as an online RC10 library or archive would be awesome.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Not a problem! I'd like to contribute more, too. I gotz mad skillz, yo. :D

I have more scans to do to add more to the ads archive, too. I absolutely LOVE the old stuff, and with my local carpet track going belly up this last weekend, and the off road track in the area blind to electric cars, I'm focusing more on the old stuff now. Maybe I'll start to plan that 2008 vintage off road race I have been thinking about. ;)

doug

liquorboxracing
Approved Member

Post by liquorboxracing »

apexspeed wrote:Not a problem! I'd like to contribute more, too. I gotz mad skillz, yo. :D

I have more scans to do to add more to the ads archive, too. I absolutely LOVE the old stuff, and with my local carpet track going belly up this last weekend, and the off road track in the area blind to electric cars, I'm focusing more on the old stuff now. Maybe I'll start to plan that 2008 vintage off road race I have been thinking about. ;)

doug
Sign me up for 08 Vintage race! I'll be bringing a few friends as well! :D

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Man, this is one of the few times I wish that I still lived in Iowa. I could drive over for the vintage race. I'm dieing to race my RC10 runner. There is a new track coming to the area, I wonder if they'll have a vintage buggy class. I hope so.

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I have a lot of ideas in my head for a vintage gathering. It was done with vintage BMX a few years ago in Rockford and it was a huge success. A large group of vintage mountain bikers did it last year and already have sponsors and magazine support for next year's event.

We're in the process of trying to move to Nashville this fall, so if my plans come together, It will still at least be in the middle of the country (more or less). If nothing else, a beautiful vacation spot. ;)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

The vintage BMXers do it every year at Rockford, and every year it gets bigger and bigger. They've got sponsors, races, and awards like at a car show. The legends of BMX show up too. I've been to a few local vintage BMX gatherings around here. One had probably at least 50 people show up and well over 100 bikes. I went to the NYC premier of Joe Kid and Brian Blyther and Mike Dominquez showed up. I got a pic of Blyther on my Trickstar. There's vintage 1:1 sports car races too.

There seems to be some vintage RC races going on. I've heard of them, but never been to one. I know that there is also an RCMT class where you have to run a nearly stock Clod or USA-1, you can't use any of the modern race chassis or setups.

Vintage everything seems to be very popular now. I like it. BMX got super popular in the 70's and on thru the 80's. The RC boom was in the 80's, so maybe we're on the edge of a big vintage RC boom. I hope so. If that's the case, what do you think the Hutch Aerospeeds of RC will be? Time to buy them up. :lol: I'd say JRX2 bodies, but those will be easy to reproduce.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Okay, this is now getting a little bit weird. I just did a search on ebay, I looked up "JRX2". In the related searches section up top, along side "JRX-2", "JRXT" etc, it also had "GT Performer". :shock:

I guess all us big kids are buying back all of our old favorite toys. :D

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

I worked loosely with Bill Curtain (vintagebmx.com) on the first Rockford event, then had my car break down on the way out to the gathering. I was pretty bummed out, because my original looptail PK Ripper and prototype JMC frame would have been fun to display. :(

I talk about this with my wife all the time, because she thinks I'm an idiot, but my generation was the pioneer of a LOT of hobbies and toys through the 70s and 80s, like skateboarding, BMX, mountian biking, Nintendo, Atari, R/C cars, and then touch toys like Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, He-Man, and MANY others, and now, as adults, we have disposable income and a very strong urge to return to the times in our lives that made us the happiest. Collecting and restoring these vintage hobbies and toys for us is therapy that older generations couldn't ever understand completely. It's a drug of our youth, and we can't hit it enough.

doug

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i swear to go we're all the same person... i got a looptail myself. :wink:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

Must be a personality type thing. The addictive collector's society. We're all sickos. What else are you guys addicted to?

As a kid, I was mesmerized on the brown and powder blue of SE Racing. I sold the looptail a few years ago, but I still have 3 or 4 vintage SE Racing jerseys hanging in the closet. :)

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

I've got an 87 GT Pro Freestyle Tour Team Model. I was more of a freestyle guy. But, I do have a modern BMX cruiser, it's a Welham.

I'm into art and painting mostly.

Still have all my old GI Joe, Star Wars and Transformer toys from when I was a kid.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i had pretty much everything gijoe up till they came out with the lame serpentor crap. i mean everything.

traded all of it to a kid for TWO thrased bbs-style wheels for my omni 2.2.

other than trading my haro sport freestyler for a booster e.q. and some kraco 6x9's the gijoe fiasco was my dumbest trade EVER.

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

Ive got my '90 GT Performer still. Black with the black bendable mags. :D Its in pieces at the moment. Its in need of a rebuild. Ide love to repaint the frame, but wont do it till I get my hands on a sticker sheet.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i had a haro fsx, with skyway tuffII mags. it was black and coral. back in my vert days. then i wanted a race bike, so i traded that for a haro group 1a. that was coral and gray. then i got my license, and the bikes went bye-bye. i saw an fsx on ebay a few months back, almost identical to my old one. it was black and blue. i was tempted to grab it, but i didn't.