Question on clear coating ABS

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Greenie
Approved Member

Question on clear coating ABS

Post by Greenie »

So I've decided I want to clear coat my Super Champ body. The guy I bought it from already put the decals on and did a pretty good job. I don't want to pull the decals but I do want a shinier look. Can I spray clear coat over decals and everything? What's a good brand to go with? I am a noob at doing good quality paint work, and I want to be sure I get it right the first time. :)

Greenie
Approved Member

Re: Question on clear coating ABS

Post by Greenie »

Sorry, I might add that I don't have a spray gun. Just looking to use the best canned stuff that's available.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I can't say I've done it before, but I will say be careful. ABS can be melted with alot of solvents that are present in paints. I would test an inconspicuos or spare piece first, to make sure it doesn't distort.

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

That's what I'm nervous about. If there's nothing I can do then maybe I'll just dust it with Pledge a little more often and call it good. :) I melted a few model rockets as a kids from doing all kinds of crazy paint work. LOL

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

yes, you can I have used Dupli-color truck,van&suv auto touch up spay paint over decals many times and it works well I have also used it on the decal paper when printing decals which also had good results. The thing you need to be careful with is mixing different types of spray paints
Attachments
000_0001.jpg

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Is the body painted? You need to go with a clear that compatible with the paint. otherwise your paint may crinkle up. If it isn't painted it would be okay to use the Tamiya clear.

I used Tamiya telefonica Blue and a clear on my SC

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

the best thing for you to do would be to contact the guy if possible and ask him what he used for paint before you do anything

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

Since you don't have a paint gun, I'd probably use SEM brand clearcoat. You can get it at autobody supply shops. The best IMO though is a catylized clearcoat if you have access to a paint gun, I use House of Kolor or Alsa Dynatone on my ABS/Styrene bodies....
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

No, it's not painted. I'd like to paint the rollbar silver and then clear coat the whole thing. I'll be sure and get paint/ clear coat that will work together.

My main concerns were eating up the plastic like someone already mentioned, and messing up the stickers. If I can get around that then I'll be happy.

Shodog, love your SC. Do you have more pics of it somewhere? I'd love to see them. What silver did you use on the body? It matches pretty good with the metal rollbar. Is your Tamiya clear coat over the stickers? That's what I want on mine. I eventually want to run the same exact tires you have on there but with the stock 3 piece rims. I think they have a better 1-1 scale look. Nice car!

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

I found a set of repro decals on ebay. Is it worth it to rip mine off and start over? Give it a full paint/ clear coat and then put on new stickers?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

Greenie wrote:Shodog, love your SC. Do you have more pics of it somewhere? I'd love to see them. What silver did you use on the body? It matches pretty good with the metal rollbar. Is your Tamiya clear coat over the stickers? That's what I want on mine. I eventually want to run the same exact tires you have on there but with the stock 3 piece rims. I think they have a better 1-1 scale look. Nice car!
Thats the only pic I have online as I deleted my TC showroom a while ago. The wheels have changed to ones with holes but that's about it. the clear coat is under the stickers. The silver is from tamiya. I think the roll bars on the body and the one on the car would look killer in Red. as for ripping the sticker off, if they are applied well then keep them and work around it, otherwise I would start over and paint the body as it will look much better.

Greenie
Approved Member

Post by Greenie »

Yeah the stickers that are on there came out pretty good. That's why I'd really think it over before I just ripped them off. I still might buy the repro's as a backup. I like the other idea mentioned to try the clear coat on another piece of plastic first. I'll put some random decals on a piece and then clear coat over it. See how that turns out first. I wouldn't be so concerned with all of this if I could just run down to the hobby store and pick up another SC body should I mess up. LOL :)

Thanks for all the help!!!

RedScampi  It’s my birthday!
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Model Car guys spray Future (Now Pledge) Floor Wax onto their cars for clearcoating. It smooths out imperfections, seals decals and provides a very nice glossy finish.
Gary

HotRodJosh
Approved Member

Post by HotRodJosh »

A QUALITY clearcoat will not hurt the body or the decals/stickers....try to stay away from any lacquer based spray-bombs....
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription.....is more cowbell."
Pinstriping by Josh

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

RedScampi wrote:Model Car guys spray Future (Now Pledge) Floor Wax onto their cars for clearcoating. It smooths out imperfections, seals decals and provides a very nice glossy finish.
Yes! This stuff is the bomb! http://www.floorcareproducts.com/floor-finish/index.asp

I use it all the time. It can even be brushed on and give a great finish! Cleans up in water, I am sure it's acrylic, and it's cheap, and one purchase lasts a long time!