Chassis ?s 2 parts- To strip it or not? Straighten that bend

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RedScampi
Approved Member

Re: Chassis ?s 2 parts- To strip it or not? Straighten that bend

Post by RedScampi »

I recently sent a note to a powdercoater that many of the guys in an automotive forum I belong to use. Here is some advice she had on dealing with scratches and imperfections:

"I've tried JB Weld before but, in all honesty, it doesn't work worth a dang. The air bubbles that are impossible to completely remove expand when the part gets heated up to cure. Basically, it feels bumpy where the JB is, and if you look at it really closely you'll see what look like a bunch of little teeny volcanoes. It blows out right through the powder coating and looks awful.

I have had really great luck with a metal filler Permatex makes though. I can't find it locally but CaswellPlating.com has it for $12 (+ $8 for S&H). It's called "High Temp Metal Filler." Originally formulated for exhaust leaks, it's good to 2000 degrees -- perfect for powder coating -- and is very easy to work with, sandable, grindable, and gets even harder when it's baked. The only thing I don't like about it is that it comes in a little blister tube with a cutoff tab that isn't resealable, so it dries up pretty quickly.

As far as your rc parts go, what color do you want them coated in? Are they polished now? (The reason I ask is that candy translucent powders look STELLAR when they're shot on polished aluminum ... like a colored mirror.) Take a look through my website Gallery if you need some ideas on colors.

Assuming the color you want is one I have in stock (and assuming in the absence of photos there isn't a lot of unexpected prep), I can coat your rc parts for about $15 each. You would also be responsible for the return shipping to you.

If you aren't particular about doing your own repairs, I just bought a tube of that Permatex metal filler a couple weeks ago for another customer's job, and his stuff won't require the whole tube. I can fix the holes for you (maybe add a whopping $5 to your powder job lol).

If you want to send a couple photos of the parts / repair areas for a more accurate quote, my email addresses are [email protected] or [email protected]. Billy has a cool RC truck he doesn't play with but truth be told, I don't really pay a lot of attention to it so I'm not overly familiar with its components. But I guarantee you I could coat 'em.

Thanks for your PM and the opportunity to earn your business! Of course, if you have any other questions or want to discuss particulars, just give me a call. Hope your New Year is terrific!!!

Leanna
Gary

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

jwscab yes i think it is A E did some colours blue green pink and red i think im no expert though im sure latter someone will confirm

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

so Ive just scored some ultima hot trick arms and rear shock mount so one of my ultimas is going red i will probably re-due the hot trick ones to all i need now is the front might just colour one of the originals http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230425041686&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
thanks for that info red scampi ive been thinking how to fill the holes in my worlds it the usual ones to relocate the longer bat plus i have a few stealth converts it will be great to tidy away those holes that the 6 gear left SWEET and now i have my camera back i can take some pics

treehugger
Approved Member

Post by treehugger »

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-26346-Temperature-Repair-Compound/dp/B000ALBZMG

so i ordered the metal filler amazon had it for 7 bucks 13 shipped

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

treehugger wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-26346-Temperature-Repair-Compound/dp/B000ALBZMG

so i ordered the metal filler amazon had it for 7 bucks 13 shipped
Good to know. I'll be interested in seeing how well it works.
Gary