Thunder Tiger Phoenix BX Wheels

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Atlas
Approved Member

Thunder Tiger Phoenix BX Wheels

Post by Atlas »

Anyone here with experience using the Thunder Tiger Phoenix BX buggy wheels? Are they exactly like the older B3 wheels? Are the material the same or are they more "hard plastic?" Also are the front wheels on the Phoenix the same as the B3? Thank you in advance.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Re: Thunder Tiger Phoenix BX Wheels

Post by RichieRich »

Yeah, I'd like to know too. I saw the buggy at Pegasus Hobbies this past weekend but I forgot to ask if they had replacement wheels in stock.

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Yes, they are the same as the B2/B3 wheels. They are the same plastic material, but have a slightly more glossy finish on the face of the wheel. It's not enough to really matter though. The mounting area is not tapered for the sport axles so if you need the tapered seat you will need to use a body reamer to get the right fit. If I remember right the part number is PD8982 (Thunder Tiger).

On a side note; I took a pair and dyed them using RIT fusia fabric dye in an effort to get the old pink Yokomo color that some of us ran. If you monitor them and don't let them sit for too long in the dye they come out almost perfect!

If anyone needs pictures let me know and I can post them later this evening.

Jeff

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

Here's a few pictures of the wheels as they come and as they look after the Fusia dye. I've also included a shot of the back showing the mounting surface. The wheel on the left is how they come. The one on the right is after I used a body reamer to help it fit on the sport type axle.
Attachments
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0433.JPG
DSCN0436.JPG

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

Love the pink wheels! Where do you buy them?

Do you race at Strickland?
RC10WORLD

JHarris
Approved Member

Post by JHarris »

I have raced there, but not recently. My boys (Josh and Jeremy Harris) have been there alot more recent than me. You may have seen them there with my dad. Josh is an Associated/Reedy/LRP driver and Jeremy is now with Kyosho/Orion. We have been going to Port Saint Lucie lately and running indoors. Escaping the frigid Florida 50 degree weather has been nice!!!!

As for the pink; those were dyed. I just took the stock white Thunder Tiger PD8982 wheel and put it in a bucket of steaming hot water with RIT fusia powdered clothing dye. They don't need to be in there long and I would suggest stirring them and checking them often. I have another set that I let sit for a couple hours just to see what would happen. They look a little more beet colored. These however, are almost dead on for the old Yokomo wheels. I'm looking forward to doing a few more and painting another body to match the wheels. They probably won't see action all the time, but every now and then it will be cool to pull out the bright pink! And for those running the modern B4 wheels from Associated or JConcepts, this will work with them too.

strangersinspace
Approved Member

Post by strangersinspace »

Is there a place to buy those online? I'm not finding it..... :?

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Post by Soncho Ponza »

I use the front and rear on my buggy now you can get through horizon from your hobby store i think, il get number for u if u need. They are brittle though they crack at bearing pocket and around outer lip. Price is great. The phoenix is a briitle rig they did not make them out of as good a plastic as the b3 when associated made them. My 2 boys have them they love the buggies.

SnoopMaxx
Approved Member

Post by SnoopMaxx »

Do the universal axle from the BX fit on the gold tub ??
are they the same length ??
Morten Max