Jay Halsey Replica Holiday Rear Tires

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rcguy5
Approved Member

Jay Halsey Replica Holiday Rear Tires

Post by rcguy5 »

Hey Guys,

First off I would like to introduce myself. My name is Mike Bartino and I live in Ontario, Canada. My main area of the rc hobby right now is flying turbine jets and other aircraft. I have a serious interest in vintage cars mainly from all the magazines I would look at when I was a kid in the eighties. As far as vintage stuff I currently have a NIB Optima, Advance, Boxer and a NIB RC10 #6010 on the way. I also have a used #6016 RC10 I will clean up and run eventually.

You probably noticed the title, I am interested in building a replica Jay Halsey 85' IFMAR champion car since it always caught my eye in the magazines (the side view pic). I currently have the Proline fornt wheels and tires, JG front bumper and both the AJ' and Holiday rear tires all NIB. I know the original used Holiday rears and they have no lettering, the Holiday rears I have NIP have (off roader) on both sides. Are there two different Holiday rear tires or are the ones on the car in the magazine AJ' which have no lettering?

Thanks in advaqnce guys,

Mike

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Re: Jay Halsey Replica Holiday Rear Tires

Post by AscotConversion »

I have seen Holiday style tires which were obviously not Tamiyas (missing "off-roader"). Some appeared to be made in Italy, and some might have been the AJ's. I think a lot of things got copied back then :mrgreen:

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

My view is that I used Holiday Buggy Tires all the way back since 1985-86 timeframe, and the ones I seen that Jay used back then and I used all were the Tamiya ones that came with the gray set of rims and they always said "Off-Roader" on all of them. Even the ones that Jim Halsey shows in the video say "Off-Roader" on them.
1.JPG
The tires in this pic (if this is the one you are referring too) seem to have no writing on them, but due to the soft rubber look of the tire they don't look to be AJ's either, so it might be that Associated may have switched out the tires for their own Holiday Buggy Look-alike tires that initially came without writing on the sides, then later came with "Team Associated" written on the sidewalls (I have a set of these and they look like this picture); or the writing was sanded off for the photo shoot. Just a guess.
Jay.jpg
Just keep in mind this car in the ad above (body number, wing and front rims) is not the ones Jay used to win the '85 IFMAR Worlds as the ad shows, His car was #6, he ran the small Yokomo Dogfighter wing with glued small sides all stickered up and he ran the chrome front tamiya rims and holiday buggy rear tires.
1985worlds1.jpg
Do a search & take a look at scr8p and prp's Jay Halsey replica threads on this forum. They are fantastic.

rcguy5
Approved Member

Post by rcguy5 »

Hey Ruffy,

Thanks for all the info., I appreciate it. Now that I know what you have told me I think I will go with the NIP AJ' I have. I want to replicate the middle pic. you posted since that is what I remeber looking at all the time as a kid, actually I still look at my vintage magazines now and then. I also found the number 4 decals on ebay which will help replicate the look.

Mike

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i used the aj's on mine, mainly because i got them dirt cheap and they fit the look that was needed.
001 (5).JPG

Ruffy
Approved Member

Post by Ruffy »

Yeah, that car in the poster ad with the trophy (#4 car) looks pretty sweet. In retrospect, you could call it a second type of Jay Halsey Replica or at least an Associated Electrics Jay Halsey Ad Replica.
Either way that car looks sweet, and scr8p and prp each have done a fantastic job replicating the Jay Halsey car look. Congrats guys!
:D

rcguy5
Approved Member

Post by rcguy5 »

Hey scr8p,

What front tower is the one Jay Halsey used. By the way your car looks great, can't wait till I get mine done someday. I am going with the magazine ad replica.

Mike

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i've never got a definative answer on that, but it's most likely just a stock fiberglass tower, with 2 new holes drilled lower than the factory ones to gain more ride height, and then dyed black.