6 gear vs stealth

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

knucklebuster
Approved Member

6 gear vs stealth

Post by knucklebuster »

Alot of folks (some on this forum) seem to think the 6 gear is a no good relic that requires alot of maintenance. So much less efficient and heavier than the stealth.

It can be a pain to set the pivots so that the gears mesh smoothly. It's loud. The idlers wear out. The idler screws are a wicked pain. Oh yeah, the diff is on the outside of the topshaft. What?

When I got my first stealth a while back, I was dying to run it against my original. On the first run I immediately blew the left side bearing on the top shaft. No damage to the gears as I shut down asap. First run goes to the stealth.

Second run. Original ran with a stock asc blue label motor and new brushes, the stealth with a modified motor (I assume b/c of bearings) with unknown turns and new brushes. Geared the same, results are dead nuts even.

Almost forgot, both were run with novak t4s and fresh 3000 nimh packs.

I've wanted to post this for some time. I was hoping to have some actual data ie feet/sec, but you'll just have to take my word for now.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

not to be picky, but did they both have the same spur and pinion? if so, they weren't geared the same. for example:

6 gear - 81 divided by 21= 3.86 x 1.83= 7.06

stealth - 81 divided by 21= 3.86 x 2.25= 8.68

that's a huge difference in the final drive, no matter what motors or batteries your using.

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

scr8p wrote:not to be picky, but did they both have the same spur and pinion? if so, they weren't geared the same. for example:

6 gear - 81 divided by 21= 3.86 x 1.83= 7.06

stealth - 81 divided by 21= 3.86 x 2.25= 8.68

that's a huge difference in the final drive, no matter what motors or batteries your using.
scr8p, same final drive ratio is what I meant when I said geared the same. Good eye though.

I'll be picky now... I thought the 6 gear was 1.87?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i'm 99.9% sure it's 1.83, but hell, i've been wrong before. :)

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

Even so, the final drive ration was pretty close. The only variable, a big one, was the motor. I expected to see the stealth leave me behind. I was shocked when the ran neck and neck down the street.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

since now you had thinkin', i was looking around on the associated site. in the q&a section, one answer says it's 1.87. then a couple questions down, the answer says it's 1.9. so apparently associated doesn't even know. :roll:

then in a sticky hoopty posted, there's a gear ratio chart done by twister that says it's a 1.85. i was told long ago that it was a 1.83. so, that what i went by.

carloco8

Post by carloco8 »

The old six gear trans is 1.833333333333333................. and so on lol. If you had a stealth and 6-gear trans both with the same motor and final drive ratios, the stealth should still be quieter and accelerate a little harder. I love both transmissions, but switch your motors and give your cars another run :D

superfly
Approved Member

Post by superfly »

I've read 1.85 but it could have just been rounded up for math simplicity...

But anyways I've been a fan of the 6 gear forever and I think that when I switch to Lipos very shortly the added weight will be wickd for rear traction...With Nimh i do feel the rear is too heavy and jumps and tight turns arent the greatest...

However I've run 19T spec motors through two 6 gears and I havent seen any wear or problems yet. Yes the diff needs to be cleaned more often as the gear cover doesnt seal very tightly...but the 32 Pitch gears are bomb proof and I've yet to wear out a set of idlers in a 6 gear...

I have about 5 stealths ready to install in the two RC10s that i run but I'm just being stubborn running the 6 gear trannies...I guess its even more vintage which is why i still run rc10s and not a new b4...

But like i said i feel the rear is a bit too heavy but with Lipos it might be just perfect...I might even place a 1/2 oz in front of the front suspension mounts if the rear still is too heavy...I'll let you know when the Maxamps lipos come in...

http://www.maxamps.com bought 3000HV 50$ each

:twisted: