Resurrection of a Worlds Car - Update, Race Meeting No.4!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Re: Resurrection of a Worlds Car - Race Meeting No.3!

Post by DerbyDan »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Cool stuff! What is the point of the astroturf? There is obviously dirt under there, why not run on it?
The Astroturf provides a consistant surface to race upon - it doesn't deteriate during the days racing & doesn't turn into a mud-bath as soon as the enevitable rain comes (I live in the UK) I'd love to race on a hard-pack dirt track, but i'm afraid over here it would really need to be built indoors & model car clubs don't really have the money to afford a permenent indoor facility.

The Astroturf is good but it doesn't suit our older cars - there is alot of 'side-bite' which makes our narrower, shorter wheelbase cars more prone to flipping over (grip rolling) especially on the undulations & bumps.

liam

Re: Resurrection of a Worlds Car - Race Meeting No.2!

Post by liam »

awsome build....it looks fast even when its standing still

where could i get a rear suspension mount like that, mine has only 2 holes

where did you get the body done? smart as £$%&!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Thanks Liam,

The shell I painted myself... its quite an easy design really - you just need patience cutting out the 'Cow' pattern!

The rear shock mount is standard to the Worlds Car - but I believe Fibre-lyte do them in the same design in carbon fibre.... but to be honest I don't think you really need the extra holes as the ones i'd only ever use line up with the two holes you have in the Team Car tower... save your money & try it as it is first :wink:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Raced the World's car again this weekend... again at the Stotfold track (where the final round of the UK national series was held) Again, it took a little while for me to get to grips with the track & the un-predictable nature of the various ramps & obsticles.... which finally saw the demise of my wing wire!

However in the final round I finally got it all together & placed the car second on the grid for the final.... which I also finished second. I must explain that this was a lightly attended club meeting... there were only 5 cars running 2wd & the guy that won our final lapped me with his Atomic Carbon CR2... but it was encouraging & I felt more confident & quicker for it as a result.

Here's my car & my Mate's B3 in front of the track.

It was a bit of a retro-day with my mate running his B3 & Kaszal running his ProCat in 4wd!

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

That's great work. You guys continue to inspire, what you called a runner to begin with would have been a proud shelf queen for me. Congrats!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

RCveteran wrote:That's great work. You guys continue to inspire, what you called a runner to begin with would have been a proud shelf queen for me. Congrats!
Thanks RCveteren :) .... all of the cars on the shelf are basically retired racers... its the current runners/racers that get the attention. For me the level of preparation for a racer should be the same as you would for a shelf queen, that way you know that it will serve you well on the track :wink:

I raced this car again last Saturday & for me it was its most successfull outing, this time there was alot more competitors to race against which made my 3rd place all the sweeter! The track this time was all grass, laid in the corner of a Cricket field with man-made wooden ramps to make it interesting... this is the typical sort of track that I used to race on ten or so years ago (fully astroturfed tracks were unheard of back then) I suddenly felt much more at home & the car was handling like a dream - the only advantage I could see with the modern cars is that they appeared to be less prone to flipping over if the driver didn't quite get the car lined up right for one of the ramps. I actually was well out in second spot in the A final when I caught one of the ramps slightly askew which rolled me over, causing me to drop down the field :(

I'm even more pleased that it felt like I could have got more out of the car with some minor tuning (new front tyres would have helped as the track wore during the day) I was also continue to struggle with the diff slipping, nail the throttle from a standstill & the slipper would slip.. but landing off jumps & burying the throttle at mid-speed would give that distinctive diff-slipping noise :|