93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds UK? Magazine Feature!! :-D

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Timanidzer

Re: My first Yokomo - YZ-10, 93 WCS!

Post by Timanidzer »

what a details can be replaced with other, more advanced models in nowadays??
Thank's a lot advance

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Timanidzer wrote:what a details can be replaced with other, more advanced models in nowadays??
Thank's a lot advance
There are many parts that are interchangable - this particular car sort of crosses over between the original 870C Superdogfighter & Works 91/93 cars which had flat chassis, & the later 94 - onwards cars that had a kick-up to the chassis - so there are parts from each side that fit this car. There are even some parts from the early Touring YR-4 car & 'Hot-dog' buggy that fit also.....

I'm new to this brand (Yokomo) & my knowledge is not good enough to tell you which parts are transferable with which car - your best bet is to make your own thread showing us (with attached pictures) what car you have got & tell us which parts you need to complete the car - or have as spares... then we might be able to help you :wink:

Timanidzer

Post by Timanidzer »

Yes, I would like to replace the body model, and the wing.
Model all the same-yz-10, but I do not know how old she was. owner from whom I bought, says that in her district three years.
but I doubt it because the look of your picture and realized that I had a similar model.

R-NO
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - YZ-10, i.d verification please

Post by R-NO »

pedro wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:Cliff seemed to as well, but you know how he is :roll:

R-No said that he has one of the cars from Basildon, and I wonder why we have never seen any other than masami's??
What are you saying you want to see a few :wink:

Peter
Dan,

You're a lucky man.
Here is a story. For Basildon, Yokomo made enough parts for 100 cars. 50 kits were handed to selected drivers.
The remaining 50 sets were used as spare parts. After the race, Yokomo took most of the cars back to Japan.
I say most because a few drivers kept their cars. Don't ask me who or why, I don't know.
In Japan, the crew at Yokomo stripped the cars down. With the un-used spare parts from the race and the stripped down cars,
they re-built 30 brand new cars. Those 30 cars were sold for 100.000 Yen in Japan and for even more overseas.
Although I got that story from a well known ex-Yokomo staff, I am not sure the 30 pcs figure is correct.
I would say this is more than that. Why am I assuming that?
Well, first of all, 30pcs is quite a small figure - even @ 100.000 Yen - for the Japanese market. I mean, all 30 pcs could have been easily sold within Japan.
None of them would have ever reached Europe, but at least half a dozen or more have been seen in Europe not to mention the US or Australia.
Secondly, on the below image, I am pointing out a -very- small difference between Masami's car (Left) and a mint WCS that was sold by Yokomo (Right)

On Masami's car, there are small holes in the front upper arms carriers.
On all the WCS replica's I could see, and also on the future '94 YZ10 production kit, those holes are gone. In place of holes, there are mould ejector pin marks.
My guess is Yokomo built the WCS replica's out of the cars, spare parts from Basildon AND with some production parts from the YZ10.
That's probably enough parts for more than 30 cars. Obviously it is just my guess.

My WCS was raced in Basildon and not handed back to Yokomo. It HAS the small holes.
Masami's WCS has holes.
I believe all WCS with the small holes are Basildon cars, not returned to Yokomo after the race.

Dan, your car does have the holes.... :wink:

R-NO

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

R-NO wrote:
pedro wrote:

R-No said that he has one of the cars from Basildon, and I wonder why we have never seen any other than masami's??

Peter
Dan,

You're a lucky man.
Here is a story. For Basildon, Yokomo made enough parts for 100 cars. 50 kits were handed to selected drivers.
The remaining 50 sets were used as spare parts. After the race, Yokomo took most of the cars back to Japan.
I say most because a few drivers kept their cars. Don't ask me who or why, I don't know.
In Japan, the crew at Yokomo stripped the cars down. With the un-used spare parts from the race and the stripped down cars,
they re-built 30 brand new cars. Those 30 cars were sold for 100.000 Yen in Japan and for even more overseas.
Although I got that story from a well known ex-Yokomo staff, I am not sure the 30 pcs figure is correct.
Well, first of all, 30pcs is quite a small figure - even @ 100.000 Yen - for the Japanese market. I mean, all 30 pcs could have been easily sold within Japan.
None of them would have ever reached Europe, but at least half a dozen or more have been seen in Europe not to mention the US or Australia.
Secondly, on the below image, I am pointing out a -very- small difference between Masami's car (Left) and a mint WCS that was sold by Yokomo (Right)

On all the WCS replica's I could see, and also on the future '94 YZ10 production kit, those holes are gone. In place of holes, there are mould ejector pin marks.
My guess is Yokomo built the WCS replica's out of the cars, spare parts from Basildon AND with some production parts from the YZ10.
That's probably enough parts for more than 30 cars. Obviously it is just my guess.

My WCS was raced in Basildon and not handed back to Yokomo. It HAS the small holes.
Masami's WCS has holes.
I believe all WCS with the small holes are Basildon cars, not returned to Yokomo after the race.

R-NO

great thanks for you important message,I checked my new built WCS from Japan.as you said, the upper arm
mount has a small hole.
15.JPG

crusaderlyf
Approved Member

Post by crusaderlyf »

And thanks R-NO, I have another question.
you said those 30 cars were sold for 100.000 Yen in Japan,but as I know,WCS used works'91 outer box and marked just 53,000 Yen.Is that 30 cars is a complete car? that on market WCS not come with dampers and tires.
Attachments
02.JPG

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

R-NO wrote:
pedro wrote:

Peter
Dan,

You're a lucky man.

Masami's WCS has holes.

R-NO
This is awesome info - many thanks..... are you saying that it could be possible that my car was one of the cars actually used for the Worlds? Or at the very least one of the original batch of 50? Of course not all 50 cars would have been used at the Worlds as that would have made most of the field Yokomos!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I have e'mailed back the guy who I brought the car from to see if he knew the name of the person who owned this car previously. This WCS & a two speed graphite YR4 were donated to the Southend Model Car Club (Southend is in Essex - the same county as Basildon) by an 'accomplished' racer. The gent who I brought the car from was selling it on behalf of the club.

Would be interesting to know who this racer was.

I'm with R-No in sharing my scepticism, that there were only 30 or so of these kits (+ those that were not given back to Yokomo) ever made, especially when you consider that I can probably think of at least 4 or 5 complete cars just on this forum.... at least two of those are new-built there also seems to be quite a fair few WCS specific spares floating around to - perhaps these were released to encourage people to convert to their 93 or 94 cars to a spec closer to the Worlds winning machine.... but obviously both these cars are quite different fundamentally to each other but share commonality with the WCS.

Of these WCS parts i've noticed differences with the parts that are on my car, see how the inner cut-out to the bottom of this rear shock mount is radiused compared to the sharp corner on my car!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

P.S; we need to see more pics of your car crusaderlyf :wink:

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

i have to say his car is mighty impressive!! thanks for the pic's yunfei!! ill send them your way now dan, check out the anodised purple bits! didnt know you could anodise magnesium unless they are ally :wink:

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

DerbyDan wrote:I have e'mailed back the guy who I brought the car from to see if he knew the name of the person who owned this car previously. This WCS & a two speed graphite YR4 were donated to the Southend Model Car Club (Southend is in Essex - the same county as Basildon) by an 'accomplished' racer. The gent who I brought the car from was selling it on behalf of the club.

Would be interesting to know who this racer was.
Gary - you are correct crusaderlyf's WCS is sweet.... some of those images are same/similar to ones i've seen before (see the last pic in my first post on this thread)

I love how this Yokomo model seems to be shrouded in mistery!

Anyway I got a reply from Gary (a different Gary :wink: ) about my car....

Hi Dan,

Nice to hear from you again.

I am reasonably well thanks. I hope that you are ok?

The racer's name is Stuart Collard. I seem to remember that he mentioned something about it being used at the Basildon World champs but that was some years ago. He always spoke about this YZ10 as if it were something very special but when he stopped racing the all he's gear was left in his garage where it gradually deteriorated. his mum who stilll does all our catering brought all his old stuff down to the club for the kids to use as bashers. Most of the stuff was only fit for that, but the YZ10 and YR4 needed saving in my opinion, so I offered to sell them on behalf of the club, before they were destroyed! Stuart himself was a top driver, but not sure he would have competed at the World's level himself. He did know some of the very best drivers though (Jamie Booth, Ellis Stafford etc). I suspect this car may have come from one of those sources. Stuart is/was a Tamiya man through and through. One of the top Eurocup drivers for many years.

Hope that this helps?

Gary

So it still seems possible this actual car was used at the 93 Worlds - but if it was, who drove it? It seems this Stuart chap may have inherited the car from someone who could have raced at the Worlds, as opposed to having raced it in Basildon himself. I wonder if anyone has a full entry list for the 93 Worlds - in-particular how many UK entrants were running Yokomos?

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Just found this image showing Cliff Lett with his WCS at basildon

Strangely this image from the same event shows JD Beckworth's YZ-10 which is obviously not one of the 'new' cars

Oh & here's another one of Masami's car

Soncho Ponza
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - a YZ-10, 93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds

Post by Soncho Ponza »

great read and picks....

kenooze
Approved Member

Re: My first Yokomo - a YZ-10, 93 WCS poss ran at 93 Worlds

Post by kenooze »

Sure JD used his own Yokomo, the Duke !

mamadoesntletme