Storm to cougar conversion

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Momo5
Approved Member

Storm to cougar conversion

Post by Momo5 »

I won an original Storm (not the 2000) off of ebay. It looks to be mostly complete from the pictures. It was an auction that I just threw a bid on and didn't expect to win it at all. But since I won it I'm interested in converting it to a cougar buggy. How hard would this be to do and what parts would I need?

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Storm to cougar conversion

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Momo5 wrote:I won an original Storm (not the 2000) off of ebay. It looks to be mostly complete from the pictures. It was an auction that I just threw a bid on and didn't expect to win it at all. But since I won it I'm interested in converting it to a cougar buggy. How hard would this be to do and what parts would I need?
Hey mate, would that have been a Storm with two bodies, box, red chassis, won for the opening bid? If so, you've done well.... if the seller had posted OS (and, more importantly, I had cash :( ), then I would have bid on that....

On to the question.... You'll need a Cougar body, wing, and wing mounts, wheels and tyres, front and rear shock mounts. You will want to check the gearing for buggy rather than truck, and you'll probably want to also check the rake angle of the front shock tower. Shocks should be the same Cougar2 - Storm.

I have both manuals in .pdf, great for just such a comparison......

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Incredible_Serious wrote:
Momo5 wrote:I won an original Storm (not the 2000) off of ebay. It looks to be mostly complete from the pictures. It was an auction that I just threw a bid on and didn't expect to win it at all. But since I won it I'm interested in converting it to a cougar buggy. How hard would this be to do and what parts would I need?
Hey mate, would that have been a Storm with two bodies, box, red chassis, won for the opening bid? If so, you've done well.... if the seller had posted OS (and, more importantly, I had cash :( ), then I would have bid on that....

On to the question.... You'll need a Cougar body, wing, and wing mounts, wheels and tyres, front and rear shock mounts. You will want to check the gearing for buggy rather than truck, and you'll probably want to also check the rake angle of the front shock tower. Shocks should be the same Cougar2 - Storm.

I have both manuals in .pdf, great for just such a comparison......

Alex

Yep...that would be the auction I won. Heres a pic of what all it comes with..

I'd rather not have to hunt down parts for another car, so if anyone has a Cougar that you might like to trade for this Storm, let me know.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Sooooooooo tempting........
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Incredible_Serious wrote:Sooooooooo tempting........
I'll take a few better pics of it when it arrives in a day or two. If its something your interested in we'll take it from there..

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Ok the Storm has arrived. Other than owning a Shotgun for about a month years ago when I was a kid, I dont really know much about these early Schumachers. The car is more complete than I thought it would be. The chassis is pretty scratched up. Its missing some parts of the slipper clutch. The front bulkhead is there, but it looks pretty beat up and needs to be replaced. Original shocks are complete but may need a rebuild..there is no oil in them right now. It will also need misc screws and such. The two bodies are clear, but are scratched up pretty good, and are pretty buste up around the mounting areas. Heres some pics. Let me know if your interested in trade. I will also post this is the proper section in a few days. I'm only posting it here because of an ongoing discussion with Incredible_Serious.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Matey, not really in a position just now to do any rc purchases (selling more than buying 99% / 1%), but may be able to help you out with the truck if needed.... what parts are missing from the slipper?

Alex
Osiris is the key.

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

No prob Alex. I think I'm just going to sell this because I found a pretty sweet cougar 2 for sale locally. Funny enough its missing the entire slipper set up as well, but I may go ahead and get it and then try to track the parts down for it.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Option is still there to combine the two and sell the Storm with solid layshaft rather than slipper... not like you could sell it for less than you got it for! :lol:
Osiris is the key.