Help with my Halsey 6 Gear Transmission Build....

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

CNA75
Approved Member

Help with my Halsey 6 Gear Transmission Build....

Post by CNA75 »

Hi all - I'm in the process of building my 6016 kit and am trying to replicate the Halsey method of building the 6 gear transmission as per this scan: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3748&hilit=halsey+six+gear .

I have a couple of clarificatory questions regarding a couple of the steps which I could really do with answering before progressing this. They are as follows:

1. What exactly is being done in Step 1? The picture isn't clear enough and I'm not sure what they mean by "burrs" on the metal gears that should be removed. I'm looking at my metal gears and they all seem to be smooth and fine right out of the packet. What am I missing here?

2. What exactly is being done in Step 18? I'm not sure I follow the description correctly - doesn't seem to make sense to me when they say "grind the radius left from the round cutter to a 90 degree angle". Obviously Step 17 says that you need to grind down the little step on each transmission side which distinguishes where the metal gears (as opposed to the idler gears) are located. Is Step 18 saying that you need to grind the side of each transmission where the metal gears are down to the same level as that where the idlergears are located? And what is at a "90 degree angle"?

Any clarification/help much appreciated from those 6-Gear experts out there. Thanks!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Help with my Halsey 6 Gear Transmission Build....

Post by Charlie don't surf »

The first step is taking a cutoff wheel and increasing the depth of the valley in the gears, allowing the peaks of the corresponding gears.

Step 18 is cleaning up the case after you increase the bore size of the outdrive hole- if you used a good reamer you wouldn't have that part- :mrgreen:

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

For step one, I don't think you're decreasing the root diameter, as much as removing the steel burrs on the teeth from when the gears were machined. AE never did a good job at deburring the gears and if that's not done, they tend to bind a little (and wear out the idler gears faster). I always preferred to use a small triangular file to do this instead of a dremel; it's too easy to remove too much material very quickly.

CNA75
Approved Member

Post by CNA75 »

ROH73 wrote:For step one, I don't think you're decreasing the root diameter, as much as removing the steel burrs on the teeth from when the gears were machined. AE never did a good job at deburring the gears and if that's not done, they tend to bind a little (and wear out the idler gears faster). I always preferred to use a small triangular file to do this instead of a dremel; it's too easy to remove too much material very quickly.
When you refer to "burrs" here do you mean any odd protrusions on the gears which were not machined off during the machining process?
Charlie don't surf wrote:Step 18 is cleaning up the case after you increase the bore size of the outdrive hole- if you used a good reamer you wouldn't have that part- :mrgreen:
I think that is step 19 from what I can tell. I can see what they are getting at for Step 19, however, it is the step before where I don't understand what they mean.....

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

CNA75 wrote:When you refer to "burrs" here do you mean any odd protrusions on the gears which were not machined off during the machining process?
Yes. On the steel outdrives, the burrs tend to look like bits of "flashing" along the sides of the teeth.

In steps 17 & 18, you're removing some material from the inside of the case so the outer side of the outdrive gear doesn't rub against the inside of the case.