RC10 runner builds

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

BLSully

RC10 runner builds

Post by BLSully »

Hey all, I have 2 RC10 buggies I am attempting to get running for vintage class racing at my local track. One of them is a stealth gold pan that is all original that I picked up last weekend, even had the resistor speed control in it still :) The other is a sad mess; my dad bought it new in '89, it's a 6-gear with short front arms, "A" stamp chassis. Between him and I, it has seen better days. This week, however, being inspired by the stealth car I picked up, I set to work doing a "runner" resto on it with the idea being dad and I can race in vintage together w/ the 2 RC10s.

The 6-gear is pretty shot....idlers have seen better days, curved e-clip is missing (?confused?), but the rest of the car is decent. I have a NIP black B-stamp chassis, nose plate, and motor plate I rebuilt the car on, rebuilt all the suspension with new lube and RPM ball-cups... so now it's mostly a matter of figuring out what to do about the transmission. Since it's a B-stamp chassis now, I have the option of either the 6-gear or a stealth, but buying a stealth on ebay is $$$.

Is there any way to run a B4 (or other readily available) transmission in the car without major (read: machine-shop-needed) hacking of the chassis?

I'll post pictures soon of both cars... Picked up a Viper body for the stealth car, so I have to peruse all your amazing builds looking for paint inspiration :)

EDIT: Pics

Thanks!

RC10resto

Re: RC10 runner builds

Post by RC10resto »

so you are making a runner out of a NIP chassis set :?:

BLSully

Post by BLSully »

I was planning on it, yes ;) As much as I would love a perfect shelfer, I barely can find the money in the budget to build running cars, let alone a museum. Some of the cars I've seen in build threads on here are beautiful.... as "nice" as the stealth is i picked up last weekend, it still doesn't hold a candle to the shelfers i've seen here

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Very nice looking builds you have there!

CamplinP
Approved Member

Post by CamplinP »

You can find a runner chassis really cheap. I would consider keeping the new stuff for a display build some day. Then again if it does not bother you, drive away. :)
The Fox, Falcon, 9 RC10s black/gold/graph, Optima Mid SE EXT, Losi XXXT, B3, B4, 3 T4s, Evader BX, Evader ST, Buggy Champ '09, Sand Scorcher '10, RC10T, RC10DS

Bimdapogs
Approved Member

Post by Bimdapogs »

I would sell the new chassis and buy a good used one. Few months ago, I forked out $50 for a nose plate like that. :cry:

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

6 gear isn't all that bad if it has full bearings and I think you can still get those e-clips for the idlers. If you can, ditch the manual speed control for a vintage Novak.

I agree with the others to get a runner chassis if you can, they're not that pricey. I suppose an alternative would be to make some kind of skid plate so at least your minimizing scratching on the pan.
-Kevin
-Kevin

BLSully

Post by BLSully »

Bimdapogs wrote:I would sell the new chassis and buy a good used one. Few months ago, I forked out $50 for a nose plate like that. :cry:
Actually... Rc10resto talked me into exactly that ;) we did some trading and the NIP chassis will remain virgin and he traded me enough parts to get a runner going that won't make you guys cringe to see run on the track :mrgreen: :lol: I really do appreciate the help I have gotten here already.

Speaking of the 6 gear, I started looking at parts I have around here for other cars and realized the e clips for the clutch on my rc10gt are the right diameter just not curved... I shaved down a washer of appropriate size and just barely got the e-clip on the shaft. Now just to get some bearings as the stock bushings are SHOT. ;) I think it will end up OK.

As far as electronics goes, I think I am going to run my old Tekin Rebel ESC with a almost brand new reedy fire hawk stock motor on lipos if I can get them in the chassis. Otherwise it's good old nimh packs for now.