Black Avante - I just want one

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Re: Black Avante - I just want one

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

ROH73 wrote:
THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:but he was RICH!
Ah yes...the rich kids always got the cool stuff!! :evil: I had some friends like that...and I bought several of their RC cars used after they grew tired of them and got new ones. :D
Yeah, I got a lot of his hand me downs. A lot of the time he would just give me stuff. He's always been a good friend. It was just a nice coincidence that he happened to be rich. :D

Back to the subject at hand, I like the original Avante wheels better than the newer red ones. I'm surprised they changed them. :?
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

I love reading those articles from RCCA, but back then, they didn't want to isolate the manufacturers by saying their products sucked. The safest way to review a car (when it was new or during a shootout) would be to run it as it came out of the box. This way, they can always provide an objective opinion based on what was provided in the kit. The door was left open for someone to say that modifications would improve the car's standing/performance.

With that said, the stock tires that came on the Avante sucked...and I'm pretty sure that contributed to the car's poor performance during that test. Most people who raced had multiple tires for different conditions. If I remember correctly, he was runnning losi 4 rows on all 4 corners. When I think about it. most of the cars (with exception of the CATs) were running that tire at our track.

I remeber the car working very well when it was working. But ultimately, it was left on the shelf on race days because it was too fragile.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I'm almost certain that in the right hands these cars could be made to work well enough. Yeah those tyres wouldn't be so great and with better tyres, some R&D and the right attitude the car could be driven around a race track (carefully). No doubt there will be it's limitations but I've seen Tamiya Frogs wheeled at speed and last the distance.

There will always be something faster, better handling or more reliable but to some people the thrill of enjoying this car out on a track would be enough.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980