Mrc/Academy Sb Pro carbon edition version 2

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

vwjuice
Approved Member

Re: Mrc/Academy Sb Pro carbon edition version 2

Post by vwjuice »

I thought that seemed high as well. I was thinking of a 74t spur (I think I have one) and a 22-23t pinion. Does that sound closer??

Yeah I got all 3 for $60 shipped. 2 Trinity Duo's and 1 Team Powers. The team powers has 1 race day on it and the Trinity's each have 3 race days. Very low use. I snagged as soon as I saw them for sale. :lol:

Yazz

Post by Yazz »

Hi. Need help with my academy SB Sport here. It's kind of a nightmare to source for parts out here in my place. Wish you pro's could tell me if other models could have compatible parts. I heard some of associated's parts might fit which are easier to source here. Thanks

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Yazz, I did quite a bit of fitment on mine back when I ran for them (please dont use the word Pro when referring to me, LOL).

What parts are bad that you need to replace? Maybe I can help.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Yazz

Post by Yazz »

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I just bought the SB Sport from another guy. Dont really run it yet. Tried looking for parts that are prone to break like arms, diff gears, hubs etc. MRC hobby directed me to it's dealer in Singapore which doesnt seemed to be carrying the parts anymore.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Amainhobbies.com has some part still in stock for the sb and eBay has part come up now and then. The on road car shares drivetrain parts I think it's the str4? Something like that. As for arms, I just got mine going a few weeks ago and took it to a very rough outdoor track and beat the hell out of it. Nothing broke which was a complete surprise to me for the hits it took. The buggy was pretty well dialed with the stock tires. only problem I'm having is my slipper clutch keeps loosening after about 30 seconds of runtime so I'm going to get a rebuild kit for it and the diffs. Then it'll be smooth sailing.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

stock up on front arms & C carriers, those were the only items i ever suspension broke (well, bent hinge pins like crazy), the only other item I seemed to break was rear diff outdrives. too much up travel would spread the outdrive and snap it...broke probably 1/2 dozen.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

Yazz

Post by Yazz »

Noted. Thanks guys.

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Yeah, I broke front arms too. Getting extras would be a good idea.

Yazz

Post by Yazz »

...'break a leg' :P

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Raced my buggy for the first time today in the first annual Halloween Pumpkin classic. I used JKracing37's setup I found on petitrc that he used years ago. This setup fantastic from the start. The buggy had a ton of steering and rocketed out of the corners. I ran it in rookie since I haven't raced in three years and have never ran 4wd buggy.

I didn't get any time to practice with the buggy before racing begin as we had 82 entries so track time was extremely limited and I was running two classes.

So I went out for the 1st qualification race and it did really good except for the slipper was way too loose. I ran a Trinity Duo 10.5T motor and the slipper was screaming down the entire straight. I could tell the rear diff was also a little too loose.

I tightened the diffs and the slipper before the next qualification race. The next race I didn't get my transponder plugged in very well so it came unplugged halfway through, but the buggy was moving pretty good.

We moved onto the double A mains and this was where I had too shine. I qualified 11th out of 13 and we all ran together for the mains. We aren't allowed too pass until after the second turn at the start of each race so I held back a little at the start expecting a pile up on the third corner. Of course it happened and I got thru easily enough and moved into 8th. Then I started chasing down the rest of the field. I had moved into 5th within a couple laps and was chasing down 3rd and 4th when I came onto the back straight and hit a rock and snapped my front arm. I ended up finishing last that race.

Start of the final A main and my esc started freaking out. Somehow my drag brake changed from zero to max. If I let off the throttle it would lock the tires. It was causing the bugy too nose dive hard on every jump. I ended up adjusting my throttle trim up a little bit too stop the drag brake and that did help a lot. The buggy was easier too drive, although it wasn't as fast as the previous race since I didn't have any brakes. I also need to get a new servo as I threw in an old basic Futaba servo from the 80's. I used the stock tires which I was impressed with their grip, but I will be getting a set of Jconcepts Barcodes for it which is the hot ticket at our track. I will post some pics tomorrow when I get them all downloaded.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

Glad it ran well for you VW...I am assuming you used my old set up? I didnt even know it was posted online for all those years!
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

Yes I did. The only thing I did differently was I used the stock shocks instead of Losi shocks. I need too get some better tires as I was usting the stock grand prix tires, but it did really well.

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Did you experience outdrive wear? That was a key problem with my sbv2.

If you haven't already you should get the steel outdrives.

I used losi shocks on mine.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I have ran it a few times at a local outdoor track at a park and then raced it yesterday at a local indoor hard packed fast clay track. I haven't seen any wear on the outdrives yet. I broke two ball studs on it at the outdoor track. It was great on the clay track.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

VW, you have the Pro (first version), edition 2, not the SB V2 (which uses plastic outdrives), right?

naushad, my SBV2 also have crazy outdrive wear - I did the steel outdrives and it was good after that.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com