My Team B3 Runner

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

teman
Approved Member

My Team B3 Runner

Post by teman »

I Picked this a short time ago from a local for a "newer" runner, I basically was just curious about the newer car set up and stealth. I added the Novak C2 pretty quick, a RPM bumper and a random motor I have to get it rolling. The aluminum bottom plates are/were trashed and replaced them with black plates for now. The tires/rims are beat-up so that's on the list. A NEW body is needed, the body pictured was originally yellow. I overspayed it and did a B3 theme in vinyl for the time being. More to come on this one also, I was thinking team resto and my first brushless set-up. :mrgreen:
P1011010.JPG
P1011008.JPG
P1011007.JPG
P1011009.JPG
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Re: My Team B3 Runner

Post by teman »

I finally got back to this project, just about everything but the chassis and transmission has been restored with some splurges on blue shock bodies/caps etc. I wish I could find nice blue anno'd chassis plates, but a black set will suffice. The current motor I'm using is the Speed Gems 15t double and the buggy runs great! New wheels and tires were sourced - it took a while for the actual B2-3 rims, but I have them now :D

The most recent part of the project was lighting :D I started with the RPM light bar 80982 for the LED holders and used Asso truck mounts 7323 to mount it to the bumper. Instead of the small LEDs, I used NTE 8mm LEDs 30059)wired in series :lol: To power these suckers I needed 4 AA's - the standard Futaba receiver pack and switch was perfect for this. I think it came out pretty good :mrgreen:
-Kevin
rpm light kit 80982.jpg
rpm light kit 80982.jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
rpm light kit 80982.jpg
rpm light kit 80982.jpg (48.43 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
7323_md.jpg
7323_md.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
7323_md.jpg
7323_md.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
P1011189.JPG
P1011185.JPG
P1011188.JPG
-Kevin

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

teman wrote: I wish I could find nice blue anno'd chassis plates, but a black set will suffice.
the blue show up off an on on ebay. Sometimes expensive and sometimes never to get a bid. Last set of 3 pieces I seen go for about $45 and the pieces after that never got a bid at $5 a piece. Guy had the two pieces you have pictured. I had them on my watch list and wished I would've put a bid on them just to watch them but didn't that time :roll: . B2 chassis are still out there...can't think of the seller right off hand but its been mentioned in the ebay thread.

I like the idea of the rear truck body mounts. You got any closeups of the front to show us how you did it a little better?

Thanx
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Interesting, I thought the blue plates were Asso Anno'd :oops: Thanks for the info 8)

Here's a couple more shots, I would've liked to use the lenses and grilles in the RPM kit, but it just doesn't work with this size LED :roll: I find it odd that I didn't have to use any kind of resistor on the wiring, it just works perfectly as is :D

I see I need to re-glue the right side again though looking at the photos :oops: :lol:

The body fits OK, it's just a little tough to get to front the body clip. With the body mounted, the wiring from the LEDs to the switch slips OK outside to inside - I think it's better this way as opposed to wiring attached to the body.
P1011183a.jpg
P1011187b.jpg
-Kevin

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Yeah. The blue parts are Associated anodized Factory Team parts if that was what you were thinking. Looking back at one of mine I was after the 2 chassis pieces like you have pictured but found out tonight I have a local guy that has alot of anodizing done that said he could add some of my stuff to his 1:1 bike parts on his next job. Gonna take a shot at seeing how close the blue is that he can get done is to the factory team stuff.

I like how you mounted the lights. The upclose stuff helped me get a better idea of what you did to incorporate actual associated parts into it :wink: . Did that extra package of batterys do anything to the handling or haven't you gotten that far yet?

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

flipwils11
Approved Member

Post by flipwils11 »

They are hard to find but I have a set. Try calling Sheldon's Hobbies in San Jose to see if they have any left.

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

klavy69 wrote:... Did that extra package of batterys do anything to the handling or haven't you gotten that far yet?
Todd
A bit less steering and more traction. It does add alot of weight back there which is going to force me to use stiffer springs - I was hoping to add the blue stiffer set.

I think the same set up would work with AAA's for a smaller footprint. I'm going to try that next, all I need is the battery holder and solder the Futaba connector on it.
flipwils11 wrote:They are hard to find but I have a set. Try calling Sheldon's Hobbies in San Jose to see if they have any left.
Will do thanks!
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Seems to work fine with 3 AAAs (4.5v) Not as bright as the 4AAs (6v) but much smaller footprint. I grabbed a couple yellow LEDs for the middle, I'll see how that goes *fingers crossed* :lol:
P1011192.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Update...
the old trans went into the rc10bt3 for some runs so I built an new trans and bought new shiney MIP CVD's for this (some of the parts aren't in the photo sorry)... came out great just in time for some inexpensive BL stuff ... a Reedy 3300/Trackstar 60a :D It's nothing to brag about, but it will be fun to experiment with for a while then pass on to the sons b3 when he can drive better 8)
P1011223.JPG
GOPR0143.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Here's a photo from earlier this week at my test track with the new body when there wasn't snow on the ground :lol:
Photo02191706_1.jpg
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

Video from today with the Turnigy/Reedy (23/81) 7cell 3000 nimh. I had to set it at medium punch to keep it out of weelie mayhem :lol: I thought it ran great, almost 2 hrs on 3 packs and didn't get hot at all. :D The buggy itself held up really well, no broken parts. 8) My driving though, hasn't really improved much. :oops:

As for the small track itelf, it's coming along slowly. We still need to build it up more, widen the jumps, put the banks in and edge the track. It's turned into a "C" shape for now, so it's triple>double>single>double and then back to the triple :mrgreen:
-Kevin
http://youtu.be/rtONXZYOx0s
-Kevin

teman
Approved Member

Post by teman »

New vid with slo-mo's from last week, check it out before the copyright nazi's see it :roll: :mrgreen:
My 3300 died, so I was running a new Speedgems 15t/Novak Super Rooster combo for this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1P_G7n6ros&feature=youtu.be
-Kevin