Can an old Pro-Ace super charger be used on Nimh batteries

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Can an old Pro-Ace super charger be used on Nimh batteries

Post by artfull dodger »

Buddy gave me his old Pro-Ace super charger that he got when he bought the RC10 I now have. Has adjustable current, trickle charge and can run on AC or DC power. Question is, can I charge my 5000mah batteries with it? I do plan to get a newer charger in the future, just not in the budget right now. The charger is basicly new in its original box. He also has a Tekin 100 peak charger that is new in the box I could use but I would have to find a 12vt power supply. Mike
Silly NT's, I have Aspergers!

minreg
Approved Member

Re: Can an old Pro-Ace super charger be used on Nimh batteri

Post by minreg »

You can use a NICD charger to charge NIMH batteries. Not sure what the charge rate is of that charger but a 5000 battery will take a while to charge. Not so sure I would trust the peak charging ability of a charger I dont know but as long as you stop the charger when the battery is slightly warm there should be no problem.

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

Thats kind of what I have been doing. When my wife gets her new slash, it comes with an overnight charger. I can use it to peak the NiMH pack. I managed to get the original 25yr old Nicad pack to recharge after doing a discharge, a fast charge with max current(about 2.5 amps) and the boost switch on, then allowing it to trickle charge all night. Only got lightly warm but it took the charge and I ran the car this morning. I dont run every day so I can leave a battery on trickle with the current knob in max position to let the battery charge if need be. I just hate to let stuff collect dust, espicaly what is essentialy a 25yr old but brand new charger! Actualy 2 of them. I have the Tekin BC100 high output. Its never been used. The box was sealed till yesterday. The List price for it was $102 and he bought it for $75 plus tx. The original sales reciept was tucked into the box flap. Even the decal sheet to add decals to the car ect was in there. Talk about more memories of my racing days as a 12yr old. I didnt have this exact model, but I ran a Tekin charger. Mike

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Wish there was some way to update the peak voltage threshold on these old chargers from what I have r read that is the only major difference between nicad and nimh chargers. I have a box full of old chargers that are perfectly fine but completely worthless. :x

artfull dodger
Approved Member

Post by artfull dodger »

There probably is, if your an electrical engineer and can modify the control circuit boards for the different peak voltage. And I agree, shame we cannot use these old chargers like we could. Atleast for non Lipo packs. I would like to find one of the little gold AE timer chargers to add to my display. Mike

minreg
Approved Member

Post by minreg »

I use many old chargers and old batteries. The peak detect may work fine. Give it a try to find out if it works well with the given pack. I watch my packs and never leave them unattended while charging. Just dont want anyone to have a meltdown.

minreg
Approved Member

Post by minreg »

I put this Tekin in a computer power supply back in the day. Still works great.
It used to have a nice polished finish.

isobarik
Approved Member

Post by isobarik »

minreg wrote:I put this Tekin in a computer power supply back in the day. Still works great.
It used to have a nice polished finish.

ha ha awsome :mrgreen:

mvh Isobarik