Newbie Question

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jc03

Newbie Question

Post by jc03 »

Hello everyone. I had an RC10T as a kid sometime around 1992 and am thinking about getting back into the hobby. I don't believe I'd race the truck but would probably drive it in and around my driveway/sidewalk in the cul de sac and in my backyard. That said, is the RC10T4.2 a good choice for me? I'm nostalgic for that model but my concern is most of my driving will be on pavement and I'd like to run on the grass in my yard. I also understand that model is electric but I've always wanted a gas truck. Getting a late model gas RC10T may also be an option. What are the pros and cons for gas and electric? Any help would be appreciated.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Re: Newbie Question

Post by justinspeed79 »

Nitro its more expensive in the long run, dirtier, requires more maintenance, there's a pretty steep learning curve if you don't know what you're doing, they require more support equipment, and they are just a little more involved generally speaking.

Electrics are the oopposite. Cheaper in the long run, cleaner, less maintenance, and a little easier to use and maintain.

Nitros are loud, electrics are relatively quiet in comparison. Depending on where you run that could be a major factor. If you have neighbors closer by, they probably will not be big fans of a nitro car/truck.

Initial investment is about the same depending on what you want.

Performance wise pretty much comes down to how much You want to spend. Staying on the cheaper side of things, Nitro has more bang for your buck (initial investment-wise), but if you want spend the money brushless/Lipo electrics can easily outperform nitro.

For me, and many others, though, it comes down to one thing, I'm a gear-head. I love engines, especially things with engines and wheels. For me and others who feel that way, an electric will never be as much fun as a nitro, it just isn't the same.

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I agree with Justin. Electrics can be just as fast as nitro, but nothing beats the noise and smoke of a nitro.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

If you are going to drive around your cul de sac and back yard, get electric. The noise nitro engines make is bad enough if you are into r/c cars, to your neighbours it will sound worse than someone continually using a gas leaf blower right outside their house.

Electric these days can be faster than nitro. Electrics are easier to use, just charge the battery and they are ready to go, no engine tuning needed because it's warmer/colder/wetter/drier than the last time you ran it. Unplug the battery and electric is ready to put away, nitro needs emptying, cleaning and after run oil adding if you want to guarantee easy starting the next time you use it. If you don't clean it a nitro truck will end up covered in and smelling of two stroke oil. Nitro also needs you to keep buying the fuel to run it, electrics cost a few cents to charge each time.

Nitro fans chose them for the noise and smell. Personally I'm an electric fan because I can't stand the noise and smell of nitro. This is what they sound like when you are bashing a truck.
[youtube]mIl3GFUfb-8[/youtube]

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Justin pretty much said it all. Those of us who choose nitro do so because we like the realism, not because it's easier or cheaper. This:
Electric these days can be faster than nitro.
is a true statement, but it does fail to mention that pushing electrics up to and beyond nitro speeds requires quality brushless set ups, expensive LiPo batteries (which do have maintenance requirements), and certainly does tax your components. A lot of motors, batteries and ESCs have let their smoke out from back-to-back-to-back speed passes.

Getting a nitro or electric to run 45 or 50 MPH can be done pretty easily and cheaply. A ~$100 nitro engine or ~$100 brushless ESC/motor combo will accomplish this in a 1/10 scale (will almost certainly require 3S LiPo in the electric, though). I have a gold pan buggy with a $120 Atomik Venom brushless combo on 3S that runs 42 MPH on current 20/81 gearing, could easily step it up 20% with 24/81. Similarly, I have an RC10GT with an $85 HPI .18 (brand new price) that clocks 46 MPH without breaking a sweat. Both will flip themselves over backwards on high traction surfaces, too. But my 82 MPH 10GT was considerably more involved, with ~$700 build cost. Likewise, to make a brushless 1/10 run those speeds, you're talking a 1/8 scale ESC & motor ($300) and 6S LiPo ($100).

All that said, something to consider if you're looking at RC10T vs. RC10GT. Go in search of RC10T parts; you'll find some NOS and a lot of used, with a handful of new manufacture aftermarket, which is generally stuff that is compatible with the 10GT. Now hop on eBay and punch in RC10GT; you could literally build a brand new truck with 100% aftermarket parts, you could make it all aluminum (in a half dozen different colors), etc. The 10GT is one of the most, if not the most, popular nitro stadium trucks ever, and it is still very well supported, even though it was long ago dropped from the Associated line-up. And they were popular for a reason. I have five of them (six, if you count the one I'm selling).
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

jc03

Post by jc03 »

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger on the RC10T4.2. Man, I love the sound of a gas engine though. Maybe I need 2 trucks!

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

Only two? :mrgreen:

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Only two?
I was thinking the same thing.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

RC104ever
Approved Member

Post by RC104ever »

I will admit that I'm lured by the sound and realism of nitro or gas because its like a 'real' car / truck. But I am NOT enthralled with the maintenance requirements. Even basic electric requirements make me a little mental to be honest.

So for that reason, I prefer to drive my electric vehicles, then just unplug it and store it. If I need to do maintenance on it I will usually do it when I have to do some kind of part replacement or repair. But that's just me being lazy :mrgreen:

Currently, my RC10's will hit 50 mph (GPS verified) and my B44 will hit 60 mph. I used the same setups in all of the cars - Mamba Max Pro with a Castle Brushless. The RC10's have 5700kv's and the B44 has a 7700 kv - which is a beast.
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars