Newbie Question

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jc03

Newbie Question

Post by jc03 »

Hello. I have an RC10T I purchased maybe 6 years ago and sparingly used in the driveway and things like that. My daughter now has an interest so I just purchased a new lipo battery and we went out to try it. It’s an rtr truck with the controller that came with it, completely stock. It took quite awhile to bind and when it did only the steering worked. Both lights on the co troller kept flashing. About a minute later the throttle started to work but only in forward and when you’d let off the gas it stopped like the brake was on. Not knowing much about the controls I slowly changed the throttle settings on the remote. No changes. My daughter was driving it like it was and all of a sudden it took off and couldn’t be controlled. I caught and helps it up while adjusting the throttle dials on the remote. It kept going. We turned it off and back on and it worked like it initially did, only forward like the brake was on. I checked all the connections and they seem fine. When I replaced the remote controls batteries they were mildly corroded so I brushed the contacts. Does anyone have any thoughts on the problem? Thanks in advance.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Re: Newbie Question

Post by Lonestar »

jc03 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:31 am Hello. I have an RC10T I purchased maybe 6 years ago and sparingly used in the driveway and things like that. My daughter now has an interest so I just purchased a new lipo battery and we went out to try it. It’s an rtr truck with the controller that came with it, completely stock. It took quite awhile to bind and when it did only the steering worked. Both lights on the co troller kept flashing. About a minute later the throttle started to work but only in forward and when you’d let off the gas it stopped like the brake was on. Not knowing much about the controls I slowly changed the throttle settings on the remote. No changes. My daughter was driving it like it was and all of a sudden it took off and couldn’t be controlled. I caught and helps it up while adjusting the throttle dials on the remote. It kept going. We turned it off and back on and it worked like it initially did, only forward like the brake was on. I checked all the connections and they seem fine. When I replaced the remote controls batteries they were mildly corroded so I brushed the contacts. Does anyone have any thoughts on the problem? Thanks in advance.
welcome aboard, cool that you are playing with RC cars and the kids. We need more people like you in this hobby :mrgreen:

it sounds like you need to rebind (just to be sure) and then to recalibrate your speed controller. What this allows it to do is to learn where is the neutral, the full throttle, the full brake. Otherwise it sees the signal properly, but isn't able to interpret where in the range your command is...

Can you post a pic so we can identify which gear you're using and help better?

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jc03

Post by jc03 »

Awesome! Thanks. Sure thing. Here are some pics. How would I go about rebinding?

Darn. Couldn’t post a pic off my phone. Do they have to be hosted or is there another way? Thanks.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

jc03 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 am Awesome! Thanks. Sure thing. Here are some pics. How would I go about rebinding?

Darn. Couldn’t post a pic off my phone. Do they have to be hosted or is there another way? Thanks.
hey :)

it can be hosted here I think - you can click the "attachment" button when you post and upload it there.

Re-binding -it's just like binding the first time ;) you need to run the procedure from scratch again. Well, you know what, scrap that - if the steering works, don't bother.

Calibration sequence is typically initiated from the speed controller. It's a typical sequence that uses the "extra" button you have on the controller case, and it changes from one controller brand to another... Do you still have the instructions that came with your RTR? If not, then please show a picture (see above :D ) so we can point you to the right place ;) Or can you read the name / brand of your controller on the sticker that is likely on it?

'later
Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

jc03

Post by jc03 »

Thanks for the info Paul. I’m going to did through some stuff today and see if I can find the original directions. Here’s another try at the pics. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rVad0EnCwgpguEJAq5ZSA5qw#Lewis_Center

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

I have trouble with pics too. What I do is (and there are several "what I do is" methods out there from various members) I share/text the pic to myself then save it to my phone then attach it to my post. Sending it to myself in a text seems to reduce the size and it uploads here with no issues. But I have an Android phone. Good luck.
Hope you're doin' something fun.