Q about armature compatibilities

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jools
Approved Member

Q about armature compatibilities

Post by Jools »

I've just 'reborn' my old burned out 'Rush' motor using the armature out of a pretty basic can motor which had stuffed brush holders.
I was surprised that it all fitted together and even bloody works!
I'm curious to know, was I just lucky that it all fitted together and worked? Or are these things generally interchangeable, (the dimensions of the rotor dia and the distance between bearings the same).
-Jools

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Q about armature compatibilities

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Jools wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:04 pm I've just 'reborn' my old burned out 'Rush' motor using the armature out of a pretty basic can motor which had stuffed brush holders.
I was surprised that it all fitted together and even bloody works!
I'm curious to know, was I just lucky that it all fitted together and worked? Or are these things generally interchangeable, (the dimensions of the rotor dia and the distance between bearings the same).
-Jools
Hey mate, good to see you back here again!

Regarding the motors, generally speaking their measurements are fairly similar... so things like bearing / armature shaft size and can length can be fairly interchangeable. This is one of the reasons why it is possible to put ballraces into some stock (bushed) motor cans, to increase performance. However, to get the best from the motor, it is possible to minutely adjust (with motor shims) the location of the armature within the can, which puts the armature into the best possible position within the magnetic field of the motor can magnets. Also, you may want to be careful with brush type (laydown, upright, angled, etc.), although I'll admit I'm not too sure on this one.

All a bit to techy for me.... but there are some more experienced bods in here who will be able to fill in the gaps, and point out any errors I might have made (again :lol: :roll:).

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Jools
Approved Member

Post by Jools »

Thanks for the welcome back Alex. I much appreciated the help you gave me the 'last time around'.
In fact this Rush motor is one I got from you I think (mind you I wouldn't trust MY memory!)
Yes I was careful to get the right length between bearings by mucking around with shim washers. Easy.
Good that It works because it looks very much more at home in my barnfind Procat than the crapcan it came with.
Cheers,
Jools

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Yeah, generally speaking a large percentage of motors used in rc can mix and match armatures. The earliest and latest motor could be quite different however.

Most used a two brush , two magnet, three arm/commutator design.