Kyosho Lazer Alpha X - Rebuild or Scrap?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Zeel

Kyosho Lazer Alpha X - Rebuild or Scrap?

Post by Zeel »

Hey everybody!

First time poster and a relative newbie in the RC world, at least as an adult. I found my first (and only, sadly) RC in the basement when goong through some old stuff. Its an old Kyosho 1:10 Toyota Celica Carlos Sainz Limited Edition that I drove for about a year as a kid, until I broke it and never fixed it. I found it again and my own kids wanted me to fix it so they could drive it ( 5 and 3 yo) and I thought why the hell not?

The problem is,perhaps no surprise, spara parts. It seems like I broke the chassis and the front diff cage 15 years ago and never replaced them. Now I’m having trouble finding what I need from serious retailers and eBay seems like a mess. I’m also thinking about replacing some of the parts, maybe a beefier engine and new electronics. I have no idea what works and what doesnt, since the old powerpacks are dead and it seems the charger I had sent the same route.

So, on to my

1. What modelname should I be looking for when hunting for parts?

2. How much extra work is it to upgrade a few components? A new motor needs new powerpacks needs new servos need better drive train need new cogs.... ?

3. Is it doable? Is it worth it? Should I just get a new one?

I wouldnr mind a few extra bucks to repair it, after all it has some form of sentimental value, but within reason. I’m attaching some pics if that helps with identification.

Have a good one!
Attachments
Manual that came in the box
Manual that came in the box
The body isn’t even painted
The body isn’t even painted
Last nights fun :)
Last nights fun :)
Broken chassis
Broken chassis
Front diff housing
Front diff housing

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Kyosho Lazer Alpha X - Rebuild or Scrap?

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Zeel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:53 pm Hey everybody!

First time poster and a relative newbie in the RC world, at least as an adult. I found my first (and only, sadly) RC in the basement when goong through some old stuff. Its an old Kyosho 1:10 Toyota Celica Carlos Sainz Limited Edition that I drove for about a year as a kid, until I broke it and never fixed it. I found it again and my own kids wanted me to fix it so they could drive it ( 5 and 3 yo) and I thought why the hell not?
Hey mate, welcome to the board! A lot of great information available here, so be sure to have a search around...

I had a Celica the same as yours, right down to being a Carlos Sainz edition... still got the box top at home, but sold the car many years ago. Was a great fun car to run!

Zeel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:53 pm The problem is,perhaps no surprise, spara parts. It seems like I broke the chassis and the front diff cage 15 years ago and never replaced them. Now I’m having trouble finding what I need from serious retailers and eBay seems like a mess. I’m also thinking about replacing some of the parts, maybe a beefier engine and new electronics. I have no idea what works and what doesnt, since the old powerpacks are dead and it seems the charger I had sent the same route.
Spare parts can be difficult to find, but certainly not impossible, and definitely not expensive...

Zeel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:53 pm So, on to my

1. What modelname should I be looking for when hunting for parts?
You'll be wanting to look for Kyosho Lazer Alpha or Kyosho Lazer 2000 ... apart from the body, wheels and tyres, the buggy and rally car versions are very similar.

Zeel wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:53 pm 2. How much extra work is it to upgrade a few components? A new motor needs new powerpacks needs new servos need better drive train need new cogs.... ?

3. Is it doable? Is it worth it? Should I just get a new one?

I wouldn't mind a few extra bucks to repair it, after all it has some form of sentimental value, but within reason. I’m attaching some pics if that helps with identification.

Have a good one!
I ran mine with a silver can 540 motor, but got an Electronic Speed Control to replace the old manual unit. Was great fun to drive, fast enough to enjoy, and slow enough to not damage too much.

One thing I would recommend, especially with where you are at the moment, is to install full ball bearings. With the size and weight of the chassis, as well as the belt drive, the standard bushes really aren't up to the job. I found a performance improvement of about 25 - 40% , just by installing bearings!

Regarding replacing the broken parts, I do know a guy who has a small stash of Lazer 2000 Alpha parts, including a chassis ( :wink: )....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Zeel

Post by Zeel »

Thanks for the welcome! Browsed aroun the boards for a while and saw some impressive stuff!

Where is the best place to search for parts? Found some stuff AT eBay, but the chassis alone was 70 $... A bit steep imo. Any other retailers I should search for? It doesnt have to be original parts, dont mind aftermarket.

Will absolutely check in on the bearings, shouldnt be to hard to find. Anything else while I’m at it?

Edit: Also finding int confusing which model names to look for, the zx has obviously had a LOT of revisions since the nineties :). Also, DYAC.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Zeel wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:39 pm Thanks for the welcome! Browsed aroun the boards for a while and saw some impressive stuff!

Where is the best place to search for parts? Found some stuff AT eBay, but the chassis alone was 70 $... A bit steep imo. Any other retailers I should search for? It doesnt have to be original parts, dont mind aftermarket.

Will absolutely check in on the bearings, shouldnt be to hard to find. Anything else while I’m at it?

Edit: Also finding int confusing which model names to look for, the zx has obviously had a LOT of revisions since the nineties :). Also, DYAC.
Bearings is the best upgrade on one of these, especially for your purpose. I'd suggest maybe also finding a basher body for the kids to destroy, as those original Celica bodies are as rare as an honest politician.

Finding spares should be relatively easy, especially since you have the manual. Searches on eBay for the specific part number usually work, although I'd leave out any reference to "ZX", as this car is not a Lazer ZX.... and you'll be confusing the results with lots more referring to the later model Lazer ZX.

I looked in my used spares, and I do have a chassis, but no front transmission part :(

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Perhaps not the best runner for the kids, I´d find something more durable for them.

If it has sentimental value to You - restore it and shelf it. Of course You´re allowed ONE little testdrive on well cut grass, but that´s it :D

Fair priced parts should be possible to find for the Laser Alpha/2000 - Join some of the vintage Kyosho facebook groups and ask around.
Gone fishing

Zeel

Post by Zeel »

Incredible_Serious wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:49 pm I looked in my used spares, and I do have a chassis, but no front transmission part :(

Alex
Really? Would you be willing to part with the chassis?

/Z

Zeel

Post by Zeel »

DennisM wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:33 am Perhaps not the best runner for the kids, I´d find something more durable for them.

If it has sentimental value to You - restore it and shelf it. Of course You´re allowed ONE little testdrive on well cut grass, but that´s it :D

Fair priced parts should be possible to find for the Laser Alpha/2000 - Join some of the vintage Kyosho facebook groups and ask around.
Yeah, found a few parts, the shipping is what annoys me. Parts for 10 bucks with a shipping of 20 bucks (overseas) makes me a bit hesitant. Thinking of just using the cash to buy a new model.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Pile of parts found, finally!
Alpha1.jpg
Alpha3.jpg
Alpha4.jpg
Osiris is the key.