Turbo Optima 2019 re-release in “boring” box art colors

The place for all things re-release Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

XLR8
Approved Member

Turbo Optima 2019 re-release in “boring” box art colors

Post by XLR8 »

I haven’t contributed anything to this message board in a while so I thought I’d post some pics of a newly completed 2019 TO re-release – for the one or two members out there who might be interested in seeing this car.
P1010337.JPG
P1010331.JPG
P1010334.JPG
P1010343.JPG
Applying the window stickers was a challenge as it’s nearly impossible to avoid finger prints or trapped dust.
The kit includes two full sheets of pre-cut masks for the body to achieve the box art paint scheme. I’d tested a few manufacturer’s red paint colors before settling upon Tamiya PS-2. It’s not a perfect match to the supplied side stripe stickers but I think it’s about as close as I could get without custom mixing something. To achieve a perfect match, I guess one could paint the side stripes rather than using the stickers but they have a very fine black pin-stripe that would have been very hard to reproduce in paint. The white is Tamiya PS-1. Everything was undercoated with Walmart gray primer and flat black. The rear window “shade” and driver figure are painted on the top side of the lexan. I’ve used the lexan’s protective film as a mask – just lightly score the film with a sharp xacto, peal and paint - it works great!
P1010308.JPG
As with the Javelin re-re, the TO comes with two bumpers so I’ve opted for the mini one for this build.
P1010339.JPG
P1010346.JPG
This one’s going on the shelf and I really wanted to build it as close to the original vintage chain driven car as possible. However, I was a little disappointed to discover that this kit does not include a chain – only the belt. There’s an empty blister on the card that’s marked for the chain and the kit does come with sprockets but, unlike the Javelin re-re which comes with both belt and chain, you have to buy the chain separately for the TO (I’ve confirmed this with Kyosho).
“I am sorry, the "Turbo" does not include the chain drive.
It only comes with the belt. Chain drive is an option part for the Turbo.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Kyosho America”

Fortunately, I just happened to have a chain left from another project to use here.
P1010347.JPG
P1010310.JPG
The driver figure and sticker set are the same as the Javelin.
P1010348.JPG
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Re: Turbo Optima 2019 re-release in “boring” box art colors

Post by XLR8 »

I’ve also found in my box of Kyosho parts a vintage Le Mans 240S motor in good condition which, according to the old TO manual, is appropriate for this car. It’s a shame that the motor is mostly hidden behind the motor guard.
P1010328.JPG
P1010329.JPG
This is the fourth Kyosho Legendary Series kit I’ve built so far and every one of them have been an absolute joy to assemble. The parts are top quality and beautifully finished, everything fits as it should, and everything that’s needed to build the car apart from paint and a few basic hand tools (knife, pliers, etc.) are included in the box.
Doug

jkelm24
Approved Member

Post by jkelm24 »

There's more than one or two of us interested. The Turbo Optima is a great model, vintage or rere.

Great job!

matt1ptkn
Approved Member

Post by matt1ptkn »

Even when I build a NIB kit, it doesn't turn out this clean. Nice work!
Matt

Just a part of my RC collection: Matt1ptkn's Toys

"I wish there was a way to tell you're in the good old days, before you've actually left them."

mtbkym01

Post by mtbkym01 »

Great looking buggy, more than 2 of us interested without doubt :mrgreen:
You name it - and I want it ;)
If it's Old Skool, It's Kool

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

looking good despite the bigger bore shocks, the somewhat very-yellow gold ano, and those 2.2 rubber monstrosities :mrgreen:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

matt1ptkn wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:05 am Even when I build a NIB kit, it doesn't turn out this clean. Nice work!
Thanks! If I had a better camera, you would be able to see the flaws - there are many.
But it helps when you have quality materials to work with. For instance, the mask sheet that comes in the kit looks like ordinary paper-based masking tape like the cheap stuff you find at Walmart but upon closer inspection it actually appears to have a plastic film laminate layer that I'm sure is meant to prevent paint bleed. It's hard to see in my low-res pics but the paint edge is very clean.
Doug

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Lonestar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:51 am looking good despite the bigger bore shocks, the somewhat very-yellow gold ano, and those 2.2 rubber monstrosities :mrgreen:
Thanks!
I had the same impression when I first saw those pre-release photos; apart from the big wheels and big shocks it looks like the original car.
Actually, the wheels are 2.0 (same as the original car - the new tire's smaller OD probably makes the wheels look large) and the shocks use the same pistons and internals as the earlier non-threaded shocks - the external threading makes them appear larger than they are.
Still, it does look like it has larger wheels and shocks and that tends to detract from the car's heritage.
I have an original unpainted TO body and the re-re body is identical in every way with only one exception; they've included cut lines at the back to accommodate the re-re Javelin's wing mounts. Of course with the Javelin mounts, one would need to remove the wing before the body could be removed but it might be interesting to see this car with a wing.
Doug

emerilnut
Approved Member

Post by emerilnut »

The car looks great. I just ordered mine and it should be here by the weekend. :)

Thanks for the info on the stickers and masks.... I actually just watched the ONE guy on YouTube who chronicled his TO rere build, and I could see that he painted the center of the body red, but it appeared the side pods were outside sticker. You confirmed that they are, in fact, stickers. This concerns me because I was going to kind of "resto-mod" mine by having the red be a completely different shade of red... so the box art style would match, but the red would be off (intentionally). But how am I going to get that THIN black line between the red and the white?

Also, I'm going to build mine brushless, and I need some recommendations on a very low profile ESC to either go under that top tray or fit underneath the driver figurine.

Your build looks great, and I can't wait to dig into mine.
Proud owner of an RC10 Championship Edition from way back in '92
Late-model stuff: Durango DEX210 v1 and my daughter's Traxxas Rustler

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks. I think you're going to enjoy building the car.
Regarding the pinstripe, I haven't used this product before but this company sells 1/64" wide black striping tape.
https://hobbymasters.com/line-o-tape-pinstriping-tapes/
The black stripe that's included with the TO's decal set is about .5mm wide so it's pretty close.
There appears to be a little more space for an ESC below the radio plate but I still had to remove the fan from my Reedy SC600BL to make it fit in my vintage TO runner.
I probably would not locate the ESC under the driver figure even if it would fit - ventilation in that space is very limited.
Please post some pics of your car when it's finished - or, as you're building it.
Doug

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

Turned out very nice. :D Another option on the pinstripe might be the Pactra trim tape if it's still available, I've got a roll of black tape that has 7 different thicknesses on it, not sure if it can be used on the inside of the body or not.

I found using automotive glass cleaner to apply the stickers really helpful, helps to align stickers properly and just wipe it off when you're finished. I've also heard of people using warm soapy water as well but haven't tried it.

Lastly, I'm not sure what the mini front bar is meant for, personally I don't see the point of them, they don't offer any protection whatsoever and it takes away from the look of the original. Each to their own though.

Keith :wink:

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Thanks Keith. :D
I think you're right about the bumper...
P1010560.jpg
Kyosho packs both bumpers in the box so you won't need to choose.
The bigger bumper definitely makes the car look more vintage. Now, if I could only do something about those hideous tires.... :roll:
Doug

Timmahhh
Approved Member

Post by Timmahhh »

Wow, that looks really nice! Bigger tire spikes would look more at home, but those aren't too bad.

keithrc
Approved Member

Post by keithrc »

XLR8 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 pm Thanks Keith. :D
I think you're right about the bumper...

P1010560.jpg

Kyosho packs both bumpers in the box so you won't need to choose.
The bigger bumper definitely makes the car look more vintage. Now, if I could only do something about those hideous tires.... :roll:
That looks a lot better. Actually I don't mind the tyres, they look to have more grip than the old OT-66's.

Keith :wink:

USAPaulo
Approved Member

Post by USAPaulo »

Hi! Fairly new to this forum and trawling re-re Turbo Optima threads ahead of building mine over Christmas. This is another fantastic example, I hope mine looks as good when I finally get around to it. I'm planning to do one box art body and another scheme (to be decided!) on a repro body I've bought as my TO is going to be regular runner.

Cheers, Paul