Hello From Oregon

Forum rules, site questions/comments, new member introductions.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

gtrgeo
Approved Member

Hello From Oregon

Post by gtrgeo »

Hi all,
I started racing in ~89. At the time I was living in Albuquerque, NM and wanted to explore the sport. Found a local track, Fast Track, if I remember correctly and they sold me on a Traxxas Bullet RTR as it was recently a winner in a recent regional race and the owner sold me on it being a good affordable starting point. It was not too long after I felt limited with the Bullet and purchased a new JRX2. After a while the JRX2 turned into a truck using one of the JG kits and I ran like that for a while until Fast Track's second location closed down. Thankfully another guy opened up Racer's Inn which was a nice small indoor track. I picked up one of the Losi JRX Proformance kits and began racing buggy again. I took that setup to the '91 Cactus Classic where I finished 3rd in the F main. I figured out I had a ways to go on that trip but was still having fun. In my mind I felt the JRX was holding me back. I experienced a large contingency of RC10s and Team Associated drivers (met Jay Halsey there) at the Cactus Classic and decided I needed an RC10. I picked up an RC10 Graphite kit. I raced that buggy until Racer's Inn's second location closed up. I think that was around '92.

Life moved on, had a couple of kids, bought a house and change jobs. in '97 I found that some of the guys I used to race with had formed a club and petitioned the parks dept to build a track in one of the public spaces. I explored this for a while and realized my gear was outdated. Having always felt racing trucks was a little more forgiving I picked up an RC10T3 kit and started racing with the club. My work transferred me to Oregon in '98 so that was the end of my racing in Albuquerque.

Exploring the Portland area I found an outdoor track on the east side and an indoor track in Washington. If I recall it was called A-Main Hobbies. As the weather tends to be wet here, I stuck with the Indoor track. I raced the truck for a while but felt the call of buggy racing. As the A-Main crowd were primarily running Losi vehicles, I picked up a used XXCR-KE buggy. I started taking my son with me to the track and he raced the T3 and I raced buggy.

The long drive to Washington as well as increased work hours drove me to back down from racing.

Well, the kids are all grown and I still have my old RC gear so I got to poking around looking for parts and found this place. We do have an indoor offroad carpet track in the area but I am not sure I want to take the plunge into racing again. The new buggies are nice and it is pretty amazing how much they have evolved over the years. But, I tend to prefer the old cars. Nostalgia I guess.

I am hoping I can gather info to restore some of my old gear to running condition. I do not necessarily have anything that I would consider polishing and hanging on a shelf but it would be fun to get some enjoyment out of running them again.

Thanks,
George

coxbros1

Re: Hello From Oregon

Post by coxbros1 »

Welcome!....good background. If u do decide to race a modern 2wd carpet buggy its pretty amazing how well they handle, big power!, and very durable....and the best part is they dont get dirty!....trust me i prefer vintage anyday but just sayin it can be fun
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

gtrgeo
Approved Member

Post by gtrgeo »

Back in NM I used to occasionally race my RC10L on an indoor carpet track. One of the hobby shops was able to use an empty storefront next door to set up a temporary carpet track a couple nights a week. I really enjoyed the simplicity of the pan car and cleanliness of running on carpet. I can definitely see the attraction to racing off road on carpet. With most of the newer buggies running gear diffs it seems pretty low maintenance.

Thanks,
George

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

with gear diffs, lipos, brushless there is zero maintenance!
Dont forget to vote in Build of the Month! these guys spend alot of time restoring these cars and could use your support👍
Tap pic for clarity: Derek