RC10T2 Revival/Modernization

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

SoHallOfFame

RC10T2 Revival/Modernization

Post by SoHallOfFame »

General backstory of this T2: I got this truck brand new in 1996 when I was 10 years old, built it, ran it for a year or two at the local dirt track (RIP A-Main Raceway in Vancouver, WA) then got tired of being so much slower than the buggies that were running laps around me and purchased a B3. At that point, the Novak Cyclone, Reedy stock motor, Piranha 1400mah NiCd battery, and Futaba receiver which were running the T2 got transplanted into the buggy and the T2 began its new life as a rolling paperweight. About a year later during a family trip, some f*ckwad smashed the back window of my mom's Pathfinder and made off with the B3 among other items. It was covered by insurance and I recall being given my share to rebuild/replace, but I suppose I was no longer passionate enough about the hobby to buy back in. Thus, the T2 remained hanging lifeless from a peg on the wall in my parent's garage up until they sold the place in 2017, at which time it was migrated over to my storage unit to continue its daily dust-collection duties.

Reintegration: Towards the end of last year, a few friends of mine picked up various Traxxas off-roaders and decided to get into R/C as a safe/socially distanced quarantine hobby. Naturally, instead of making things easy for myself and picking up an RTR so I could go bash along with them... I say bash, but we actually had something like 25-30 yards of dirt dumped into the empty lot behind my friend's house and rented a Bobcat to build a rudimentary circuit (boy is this hobby different as an adult :lol: ).... but yeah, instead of opting for an RTR, I decided that I had to resurrect this ol' boy out from the depths of purgatory and dive down the rabbit hole of figuring out what's what in the current lay of the R/C land, after being completely removed for around 20 years. Still can't really wrap my head around the fact that most of the tracks are carpeted now though. Nothing says "off-road" more than... carpet? I know its way easier to maintain and reconfigure but call me a purist or something...

Anyways, as you can tell from the pics, it's a fairly basic non-team-edition build and in mediocre shape - I respected the sh*t out of it when driving back in the day, but it definitely saw some time on asphalt between weekends at the racetrack. The only hop ups I could remember/identify were a full ball-bearing kit and the RPM gear cover (and maybe the mismatching HPI/RPM wheels if you count those as upgrades). As a 10/11 year-old I couldn't afford an airbrushed paintjob from the local hobby shop and I also didn't believe in myself enough to attempt rattle-canning it on my own, so the body stayed clear :oops:

TL:DR I've owned this RC10T2 for like 25 years, it's been sitting as a roller since like 1998, I'm reviving it so that I can stomp the sh*t out of all my friends' Traxxas garbage on the racetrack, and I wanna get my post count up so I can use the marketplace

Enough for now/more to come
Attachments
converted-IMG_0240(1).jpg
converted-IMG_0241.jpg
converted-IMG_0237.jpg
converted-IMG_0235.jpg

juicedcoupe

Re: RC10T2 Revival/Modernization

Post by juicedcoupe »

Just be sure not to get tangled up with one of the Traxxas vehicles. Comparatively, it would be like getting in a wreck with a tank.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

SoHallOfFame

Post by SoHallOfFame »

juicedcoupe wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:07 am Just be sure not to get tangled up with one of the Traxxas vehicles. Comparatively, it would be like getting in a wreck with a tank.
They'd have to catch me in order for that to happen! 8) :lol:

SoHallOfFame

Post by SoHallOfFame »

Alas, here is v1 of the revived T2. For electronics we went with:
  • Reedy SC600-BL speed control
  • Reedy 540-SL4 brushless/sensorless motor
  • Turnigy Trackstar TS900 steering servo
  • Flysky GT5 radio/FS BS6 receiver
  • Reedy WolfPack 3S 4500 mAH LiPo battery

Needless to say, the truck is way faster than it needs to be. The drivetrain seems to be holding up to the power pretty well; was a little worried that I'd be shredding gears based on some of the posts I'd read but the track I'm driving on is also a very low-traction surface so I'm sure that's helping as well.

First attempt at a rattle-can paintjob on the original body wasn't a total failure IMO, but I definitely should've used some masking tape for the roll bars :oops:
Attachments
converted-IMG_0271.jpg
converted-IMG_0270.jpg
converted-IMG_0269(1).jpg
converted-IMG_0276.jpg
converted-IMG_0275.jpg
converted-IMG_0274.jpg