Spur gear options??

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

PhilV

Spur gear options??

Post by PhilV »

I was finally able to hit the track with my Bandit and I was severely under geared. Started with a 84/24 then went to an 84/27 and ended the day with an 84/31. And I still was not able to clear the jumps I should have been able to. Also, with the 31 pinion, I could not put the gear cover on, so that’s another issue. Some of the local fast guys told me their spur / pinion combos, which was 72/31. So home I went to figure out what to do. I am running the old school traxxas slipper with the friction pegs, and the smallest spur gear available for that set up is 78t. To try and match the 72/31 ratio I’d have to run 78/33, but then my gear cover won’t fit. I’m sure the obvious answer is to get the STRC top shaft and run Associated spur and slipper, but was wondering if there were any other off the shelf options for spur gears that might work.
Chewbacca’s Franken slipper is an option but Durango and Serpent Spurs aren’t readily available.

juicedcoupe

Re: Spur gear options??

Post by juicedcoupe »

Why not convert to the new style input shaft and slipper?
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

SoCalSnakeEyes

Post by SoCalSnakeEyes »

You may know me as Jessica. Or, that girl that raced a Stampede at SoCal Raceway. Maybe, that girl with the big big block El Camino.
IG and YT @ Jessica's 2 Car Garage https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMP9VnJ76BZv6EZJSRke_pw/

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

I believe the old style Kimbrough with a lot of holes should also work with the pegs.

Kimbrough

They say RC10 B4 so I don’t know about the center hole diameter
*** POWDER - KING ***

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Post by Chewbacca »

Actually those spurs don’t make any sense for a B4 which has the newer style slipper.

I am pretty sure they will work on a Bandit, yo ou might want to drop them a line asking.
*** POWDER - KING ***

PhilV

Post by PhilV »

I will probably be doing the STRC top shaft soon, just wanted to try other options.
I’ve got a few Kimbrough spurs on the way, so I’ll see how those work out. Jim at Kimbrough said the inner diameter is a little bigger on the Spurs he’s sending, but maybe I can make a spacer to take up the room. Just hoping the friction pegs fit on the holes of the spur.

PhilV

Post by PhilV »

I got my Kimbrough spur gears in and was able to use one of their 69tooth options. The friction pegs fit in fine and the center hole where the hex bushing goes was just a few thousandths to big and there was just a little bit of movement. But I put it all together anyway and ran it on the track. I got the speed and gearing options I was after. The friction pegs go past the slipper plates a little bit, but there was still plenty of engagement. I had a little bit of wobble when I first installed the spur, but realized I should flush all the pegs on one side of the spur first, then add the plates. This made the spur straighter, still not perfect, but better. Oh, and with the 69/30 combo, I was still able to run my gear cover with no rubbing.
With that being done, I am going to pick up the ST racing top shaft this week, so I can compare the options.