MRP Drag'n Master Ad

The place for digital versions of specific articles and ads.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Dangeruss
Approved Member

MRP Drag'n Master Ad

Post by Dangeruss »

MRP Drag'n Master Ad

MRP Dragn Master Ad.jpg

Lowgear
Administrator

Re: MRP Drag'n Master Ad

Post by Lowgear »

I see you read my post on the Krazy 8 thread. :)

The concept of the Drag'n Master was super cool as it was the first of its kind, and inspired by the 1:1 Warlord puller of the time. Unfortunately, it was more of a novelty than a competitive puller. It used High Roller rear tires/wheels, and the fronts were from their Pro-110 buggy. It had a thin sheet metal chassis, and an open plastic gear reduction.

Body off pic: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=44668

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Lowgear wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:48 am I see you read my post on the Krazy 8 thread. :)

Well, I don't want to brag but... oh yeah, this guy 👉 :mrgreen: 👈 can read! :lol:

Great background on the Drag'n Master. Didn't know it was based on the Warlord. Which, had one of the coolest paintjobs in the day. Flames AND swords! :twisted: :lol: ...you're the first person I've talked to who remembers funny car sled pullers. Normally I get a shrug and "I don't remember that" like I'm making it up :roll: :lol:

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I remember it all because I was there! :D I was a major fan, and my parents would bring me to the monster truck and pulling shows frequently in the '80s to early '90s. I had the magazines, posters, toys, video games, VHS videos, etc... There was even a cartoon called Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines.

I suppose it depended on where you lived as I think that kind of thing was bigger on the eastern half of the country

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Me to!! :mrgreen:

I always liked the postcards they handed out at the shows. Never got one autographed though... it woulda ruined the photo 8)

Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines?... get outta my head! :lol: I haven't heard anyone mention that cartoon in forever. :D

Going to the monster truck shows was fun back in the day when Bigfoot ran on the USHRA tour. Then Bob Chandler left and the USHRA became "Monster Jam"... the automotive version of pro-wrestling...

Remember Hulk Hogan's Rock-n-Wrestling? Another fantastic cartoon! :lol:

Never thought about locale playing into it. Pulling being a very fractured sport, add in the short life span of funny car pullers and, what you and I saw as awesome I guess others never saw at all.

Wonder if the funny car pullers failed for the same reason the Krazy 8 and Drag'n Master did... :?

1911Colt
Approved Member

Post by 1911Colt »

When I moved to Missouri back in 97, I was pleasantly surprised to accidentally stumble upon Bob Chandler's shop. :D They had a few of the race trucks in the garage. You could walk up to the second level to better see the trucks and watch them work. The show truck with 10 feet tall tires sat out front. I saw the Aerostar minivan there on a few occasions as well.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

1911Colt wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:37 am When I moved to Missouri back in 97, I was pleasantly surprised to accidentally stumble upon Bob Chandler's shop. :D
Funny to think... one day you're just driving along and all the sudden... "Holy crap... Bigfoot!" :D

They hold R/C monster truck races there too, which is pretty cool.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Dangeruss wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:01 am Me to!! :mrgreen:

I always liked the postcards they handed out at the shows. Never got one autographed though... it woulda ruined the photo 8)

Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines?... get outta my head! :lol: I haven't heard anyone mention that cartoon in forever. :D

Going to the monster truck shows was fun back in the day when Bigfoot ran on the USHRA tour. Then Bob Chandler left and the USHRA became "Monster Jam"... the automotive version of pro-wrestling...

Remember Hulk Hogan's Rock-n-Wrestling? Another fantastic cartoon! :lol:

Never thought about locale playing into it. Pulling being a very fractured sport, add in the short life span of funny car pullers and, what you and I saw as awesome I guess others never saw at all.

Wonder if the funny car pullers failed for the same reason the Krazy 8 and Drag'n Master did... :?

Yeah, I had some of those and the programs they used to hand out as well. I may very well still have some of those items but haven't come across any of it in at least a decade by this point. Although, I do have a USHRA hat in my closet that I don't know when or which event I got it from. I'm guessing from the early '90s. Then in something like 95 or 96 I almost got to drive around the Liquidator ride truck on the beach while vacationing in Wildwood NJ. I ultimately couldn't due to it being a manual, and not having my driver's license at the time. :( There was also the War Wagon monster truck on display which was super cool to see!

I remember watching Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines but don't recall much of the plot. It was short lived, and I was only 4-5 at the time. I just read through its Wikipedia entry which brought back some additional memories. :)

Oh yeah, I remember Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling as well! That was around the time I started watching wrestling, and have continued to every year since then. As a matter of fact, the last job I had before being laid off, was working for a major wrestling news site.

I could very well be wrong, but I swear I've read in the past that some (most?) of the funny car pullers were actually converted over from their drag racing use. Maybe that's the reason they didn't last too long.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Lowgear wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:38 pm Yeah, I had some of those and the programs they used to hand out as well. I may very well still have some of those items but haven't come across any of it in at least a decade by this point. Although, I do have a USHRA hat in my closet that I don't know when or which event I got it from. I'm guessing from the early '90s. Then in something like 95 or 96 I almost got to drive around the Liquidator ride truck on the beach while vacationing in Wildwood NJ. I ultimately couldn't due to it being a manual, and not having my driver's license at the time. :( There was also the War Wagon monster truck on display which was super cool to see!

I remember watching Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines but don't recall much of the plot. It was short lived, and I was only 4-5 at the time. I just read through its Wikipedia entry which brought back some additional memories. :)

Oh yeah, I remember Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling as well! That was around the time I started watching wrestling, and have continued to every year since then. As a matter of fact, the last job I had before being laid off, was working for a major wrestling news site.

I could very well be wrong, but I swear I've read in the past that some (most?) of the funny car pullers were actually converted over from their drag racing use. Maybe that's the reason they didn't last too long.
Driving a monster truck as a teenager would have been epic. And on the beach no less. yes, Yes, YES... skunked. :lol:

Bigfoot was a cool cartoon, in the line of sentient vehicle shows it ranked third, below M.A.S.K., with Transformers taking first. But was indeed short lived.

That's cool that you worked for a wrestling news site. Like a whole thread on it's own. Talk about a neat way to earn a buck.

Yeah, like you said, IIRC the pullers (and even the mud drag funny cars) were converted NHRA cars. I watched a video, couple years ago, one of the funny car drivers was talking about how they were the first to run a mud drag funny car. Said they were approached by one of the promoters about putting a set of paddle tires on the car and racing it. They thought, "yeah right" at first but it was a big hit so they ran a spare car for the mud drag racing, though only for a short time. Interviewer asked why and he said, "Cause it was a pain to clean up". :lol: