Nitro car recommendation

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MOmo
Approved Member

Re: Nitro car recommendation

Post by MOmo »

Im in agreement on the Elect. vs nitro.

I worked for several LHS over the last few years and the nice thing about Elec. depending on the neighborhood, you can run it at ANY hour!

As for your ?s
1) reccommendation for a truck of a car... Look at the surrounding terrain. is it more condusive for street or dirt.Technically, its easier to convert an offraod rig for street than vice-versa.

2) recommendation on 2WD or 4WD
4wd does have advantages, but like others have said, twice the potential issues. 4wd will allow for more of that "go anywhere" feeling.

3) what model car, engine, etc.
Best thing is see what the LHS carries. Traxxas is a good goto. Pretty easy to get parts and most LHS carry it. No kit forms avail. They are coming out with a elec. Revo which looks promising. (might be worth waiting for the BL version which im sure they will release shortly) http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/erevo5605/trx_erevo5605.htm

If you want 1/8th scale, you might locate a cheap 1/8th scale buggy and try a BL conversion (see http://www.rcproductdesigns.com/ ) for options. A BL setup isn't cheap neither are batteries, BUT, from what i have read, they work really well and seem to hold their own w/ their gas counterparts. (good insight on conversations these elec. conversions http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=158327 )

Ultimately, its what your budget can support. Before i would sell anything to anyone, I alway ask what the purpose of the vehicle will be, experience w/ RC, and where they plan to run it. If you have experience w/ nitro and understand the "tinkering" required, then go nitro. For beginners, I suggest Elect. Easier, less maintenance esp. w/ BL setups now, and you can run w/o disturbing the neighbors.

Good Luck!

MOmo

rhoonah
Approved Member

Post by rhoonah »

Thanks for the post MOmo.

Basically, I was heavily into electric RC when I was a kit (about 20 years ago). I used to race my RC10 competively, etc. I still have 8 or 9 of my vintage electric cars/trucks. I also had a nitro car back in the day so I am no novice to RC'ing. My old RC10 doesn't look anything like the classic gold pan that it once was because of all of the modifications so the tinkering is actually something that I enjoy.

As for terrain, it will be mainly driven around my property which consists mostly of grass and in the driveway, etc. There are some surrounding areas where I could hit the dirt, etc. with it. So I am more interested in something that can eat up the "unforgiving" terrain like grass, etc. that my vintage 1/10 scale electrics don't like to run in.

Anyway, thanks for all of the great information everyone.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

You mentioned chain/belt drive. Most 1/8 buggies or truggies are shaft or dogbone driven-- no worries there! The only issue I have ever had with 4wd is maintenance-- especially with 3 diffs rebuilds become that much more time consuming. I can take down my entire 2wd stadium truck in an evening-- less the aggravating shock rebuilds of course! :roll:

I just threw my T-Maxx up there in case you're getting 'sticker shock' looking into kits! :wink: There are plenty of other used options out there if you just want to sample what the modern nitro scene is like before jumping into a $600+ ride.

Good luck to you!
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

If you are heading towards the 'truggy' view Associated is in the race for the truggy title. Seems I read something awhile back about one and I haven't heard anything but great stuff about the RC8 that it will be based off of. If you aren't going to be running alot like you mentioned maintenance won't be a big deal either for you. I prebought and RC8 before they showed up on the scene and sold it before delivery since the factoryteam kit was on its way but ended up losing interest and not having the money to get re-interested so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how they are in the greatness dept. but will find out later this summer when I get back to work.

anyway my 2 cents says get a truggy for what you have to run on at home and at the track. Also seems to be a class most races are getting into if they haven't allready and they seem to be a cool alternative to the monster truck scene. Good luck with your decision.
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

what's nitro? :?

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

In regard to your question regarding actual top end speed of a Truggy...I am not too sure but it will be plenty fast!. I do know that they lap slightly quicker than a 1/8th buggy all things being equal (esp on a broken track). My experience with 1/8th nitro is mainly with buggies geared for running around a track so top end speed is not really a main concern. Todays cars are pretty much over powered...so don't worry they will go through thick-ish grass :D

Rebuilding diffs are a pain in the butt but given that you are primarilly running it in your yard and not really tuning it for a particular track....it would not be a big deal. Most times, after a run its a matter of dusting it off, wiping off spilt oil, and running some after-run oil through the engine. Keep the car clean after each run then you will not encounter problems later on. If you leave fuel and dust to dry, it will be harder to clean after. You can use an electric screwdriver to work on your nitro cars but loosen/tighten them manually (save abit of time and a sore wrist). If you have access to a air compressor, it will cut your maintenance time by half. The drive train for the 1/8th buggies are pretty much bullet proof and will take alot of abuse.

Another thing to look for is to get a standard engine and not a pull-start type. Pull-starts may seem more convenient and cheaper to begin with but trust me....your arm will thank you later on. Invest in a good starter box...trying to start a brand new engine is a pain without one (I recommend the Mugen one but they are pricey). Read the instructions carefully before you start, take your time building, pay particular attention to setting up the radio gear and use good quality loctite (medium strength...do not use the high strength one) I love both types (nitro and Electric) of RC cars, they both have their own pro and cons....it just depend on the individual.

Good luck with your choice....look at what your local hobby store sells but also do your research on whats out there.

rhoonah
Approved Member

Post by rhoonah »

Great advice all the way around. I was looking at the RC8 and that seemed to be a pretty nice ride. I tihnk that I will probably go the truggy route when I get one since that seems to support what I want to do with it pretty well.

I wasn't sure about the drive trains now a days... my only experience with gas-powered cars was a Thunder Tiger Silver Fox about 20 years ago and that was 4WD and was chain driven.

uzzi... great points and I will certainly heed that advice.

Thanks to all for your insight and advice!

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

I tell you what, I have watched my brother beat the living daylights out of his wife's new t-maxx 3.3. The downside to the new version, no reverse. But there are a ton of aftermarket parts available and they are a blast be it in the grass, dirt or on the street. Plus you have electric start. Sure it is not all gold and glitter. Everything has a point of failure. But parts are cheap, plentiful and upgrades will vastly improve in the performance and durability of the truck.

Regardless of which route you take, there are lots of little things you can do to make the experience a great one. After run oil, fail safe, thread lock, proper alignment; these will all make your new vehicle last longer and function better. But you already know that stuff probably.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

rhoonah
Approved Member

Post by rhoonah »

That brings a good question... do most nitro cars not have reverse? If it does have reverse, does it require a 3 channel radio system or will a 2 channel do the trick?

purpletimbo
Approved Member

Post by purpletimbo »

Only 2 channel reversing, is as far as I know Kyosho's QRC system, very cool, but real old school now.
Tmaxx have reverse and Savages can do I think, and my 1/7 Nitro Spyder does as well.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

purpletimbo wrote:Only 2 channel reversing, is as far as I know Kyosho's QRC system, very cool, but real old school now.
Tmaxx have reverse and Savages can do I think, and my 1/7 Nitro Spyder does as well.
Tamiya Terracrusher/wild commando had 2ch with reverse, but that like the QRC from kyosho is outdated.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

My MGT has reverse with 3 channel. My savage doesn't have reverse but its an old ss.25 that didn't come with it. My early tmaxx had the FOC installed when I bought it and ended up buying a Reverse tranny/parts/3 channel tq3 to bring it back to reverse...never did it but my 2.5 tmaxx has reverse and it doesn't work :roll: ...quite common with these actually.
As for your RC8 and the truggy version they will not have reverse and most 1/8 scale buggies/truggies don't come with it so you won't pry have that option. There are plenty of 2 speed versions coming out on these now or an option you can install but no reverses yet. Got a guy I run with locally running a truggy and from what I see he doesn't need it. but for bashing around the yard I got my 'monsters' for that and reverse comes in handy. Let us know what you end up with since you are fueling my RC8 fire again :wink:
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!