XXX Spec.

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mazdaj
Approved Member

XXX Spec.

Post by Mazdaj »

Long time fan, first time poster. A great web-site for reference. Losi came out with a XXX Spec around 2000. I was able to pick one up-can't seem to find a whole lot about the car. Any value to it? Was Losi's theory about spec racing worthwhile or was the idea/spec buggy/spec truck consisdered a failure? I know the reason I stopped racing was the $$. It was nice to see a manufacturer try to keep costs down whether it worked or not.

markt311
Approved Member

Re: XXX Spec.

Post by markt311 »

the spec cars were an attempt at a spec class that never caught on, no one came up with a real set of rules for motors and batteries. About the only spec thing they came up with was the blue tires. The spec kit is basically an rtr chassis that was sold in kit form, it's still a xxx, so it's not really too different besides the graphite parts, steel turnbuckles, and non hard coated shocks. As far as value, this year doesn't seem to be very good for losi prices, just hang on to it and enjoy it. A funny story, Losi didn't sell a whole lot of those kits, they took a few of them and built them then screwed them to the top of some trophies for a race Losi sponsored.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i think it would've been hard for that spec class to have taken off. especially if you could only use the losi spec vehicles. not everyone want to own/run a losi. :wink:

i think trinity had the best spec series, imho. there was 3 legal cars from what i remember (trinity, trc, and bolink). everyone ran the trinity spec battery packs, trinity spec 21t motor w/ spec brushes. you had to use a speed control with a list price of $120 or less (tekin 412p, novak m5, etc.). everyone ran the spec foam tires w/ the gray inside bead. everyone ran the same 120 tooth spur gear, and there was only 3 different pinions you could use (26,27, and 28). there was 4 different bodies you could run... 2 trucks, ford or chevy... 2 cars, ford or chevy. i had fun the couple years i ran that series in the mid 90's.

in the late 90's at an dirt oval track i raced at, we implemented a spec edm class. you could run any car or tires you wanted, but you had to used the trinity spec batteries and spec motors w/ the spec brushes. that was a fun class as well.

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

Thanks for the replies. The value to me is as a collector of Losi 2WD buggies-I don't think I'll part with it-it to me is another piece Losi history in the development of the buggy. I know it's a XXX in another form but different-gotta love the blue tires-don't see many popping up for sale! We had an on-road spec class with open-wheel modifieds for a few years that ran in the CT area. Agood time until the almighty dollar took hold. Oh, well. We can all remember the good old days with a smile!

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Yeah, I think spec has had more success in on road and oval than dirt through the years. I ran the bolink spec pan car on a flat asphalt oval, the A main guys were usually on the same lap or just one lap down which was not bad for a 8 second lap track. It was fun racing, the closest thing I see to it now is the trans am, but around here it's more like an ugliest paintjob contest :roll:
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!