Spare XXX-S to XXX-4, or JRX4??? :)

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Spare XXX-S to XXX-4, or JRX4??? :)

Post by UltraHIVE »

Hey all, I decided to leave behind all my Tamiya projects for a family of mostly vintage Losi. I have a few JRX2 and T's now, but I wanted to venture into 4wd. I found an XXX-S roller for cheap on Ebay, with intentions to convert it to a buggy. I then found another one, without wheels or shocks, for even cheaper so I got both. And finally, I found an XXX-4 with alot of spares, for a really great price and bought that too. Im soooo done spending $$$, I hope... :)

I got the first XXX-S here now and its really cool, with a very simple setup. I will definately keep the complete XXX-S as a road beast. While waiting on the XXX-4 to arrive, I started thinking, what can I modify the the extra XXX-S into?... Either a rally, stadium truck, or retrofit the drive system into one of the many JRX2 chassis's I have. I'll have all the parts needed from the XXX-4's spares, to do a straight buggy conversion to the XXX-S, but I think the challenge of a JRX4 would be most satisfying. What do you think?

------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, heres my mid motor 2wd buggy conversion JRXT, with LXT arms, an 8t Reedy KR, and Tekin TSC P-12, with a rewired 4x2 5000mah hump pack. I basically just flipped the rear around like what was done for oval conversions. I used the JRXT rear pivot, the 4 hole one, for a stronger trans mount. I have some long Traxxas telescoping axles on the way to make up for the wide LXT arms. Im having my machinist make custom shock towers based off Composite Craft front short shock design, and JRX Pro rear tower design, at 3/16 thick, either Delrin or a close material to the original. Whats great is that I can prototype any 2D part from thin lexan, cut from my plotter, based off 3D designs. That way I know the part fits by test mounting it before I bring the CAD file to the machinist. I love modifying RC :)

ImageImage

Chewbacca
Approved Member

Re: Spare XXX-S to XXX-4, or JRX4??? :)

Post by Chewbacca »

Nice mid motor conversion!

I remember reading a lot about a AE conversion from road to buggy over at RC action in the forums I think it was based on the TC 3 (??) I think that was even a Kit from 3rd party company.

Here's the BJ4x4

The one I meant was the TC3"O"

I hope this helps for inspiration.

As a side note: I don't think you'll find a plug & play solution, but will surly be a cool project!
*** POWDER - KING ***

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

sweet, thanks for the links... i hope its not plug and play, i kinda like the challenge :)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Wait, that motor and input shafts on the wrong side-

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

yep, I got hit pretty hard by a short course truck last time at practice. so hard that it ovaled my motor can. I flipped the rear around to protect the motor and help level out the buggy on jumps. gonna make a rear mini bumper out of kydex to protect the chassis. this is my beater / track car so I like to experiment here and there. the motor in it now is new so I broke it in in this direction.

sgirouard
Approved Member

Post by sgirouard »

I take it you reversed the motor spin (now reverse drives you forward)? If so, I hope you have an adjustable timing motor otherwise you're going very slow :wink:

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

Thats correct, and of course its adjustable. Its a Reedy KR 8t. I learned about reversing from the best, online forums that is :) I did have to adjust it, and broke it in, in reverse as well. I'll say this, its faster then my 13t XXXs 8) Although now Im thinking, I need to prove it being faster at least to myself, which means trusting a friend with one of them to race me... ugh! :?