Jay Halsey Sighting...?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fordtransman
Approved Member

Jay Halsey Sighting...?

Post by fordtransman »

Well, for anyone that thinks its as cool as I do...

I was road testing one of my customers cars near my work, here off of the US I-15 and the CA91, and low and behold, I came up next to the Jammin Products caravan pulling his CORR buggy on an open trailer behind a motorhome. Behind it was another truck pulling a Jammin Products trailer with Jammin! insignia and R/C cars plastered all over it. When the motorhome slowed down to turn and get on the freeway, I passed it and looked back.... I would have to say 9/10 certainty that it was Jay driving it... Likely down to the race facility at Lake Elsinore as depicted on his CORR related site. Of course, it was the only time that I didn't have my cellphone/camera on me!!! So, unfortunately no photos. He looked pretty happy to be going racing!!

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Re: Jay Halsey Sighting...?

Post by Bongo Fury »

I had an opportunity to talk to the Jammin’ Man several years ago, and his Father Jim too. Very friendly, engaging, playful and funny even. Despite the pressure of being at a national race on the road. Always good to see that someone who many look up to are good decent folk. Which I think is more common in all racing generally, but then I’m not exactly unbiased in the matter.

Off topic a little, but I’m surprised at the lack of personal stories on this board. We all go ga ga over recreating paint schemes and such, but seems there is little interest in the people themselves. While I enjoy the toys greatly, for me a huge part of this hobby is the great people I have had the good fortune to meet and even race with. Where else can a nobody me pit next to and interact with World and National champions? So far I’m at 5 Worlds and 11 national champs I can think of.

That said, no offense to anyone here, after all I am one of the new guys myself.

Cheers, Dave

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Bongo Fury wrote:Off topic a little, but I’m surprised at the lack of personal stories on this board. We all go ga ga over recreating paint schemes and such, but seems there is little interest in the people themselves. While I enjoy the toys greatly, for me a huge part of this hobby is the great people I have had the good fortune to meet and even race with. Where else can a nobody me pit next to and interact with World and National champions? So far I’m at 5 Worlds and 11 national champs I can think of.
i'd guarantee the majority of members on this board have never been to worlds or even national event. so unless the well known drivers raced locally at one of the tracks they ran at, chances are they'd never get to meet any of them.

i've been lucky enough to race with sponsored drivers since i started racing. just not halsey, kinwald, losi jr., etc. maybe if dirt oval would've gotten the coverage that off-road did/does, the guys i raced with would be just as well know.

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Good point, I forgot that many here are collectors and not necessarily racers. BTW I’m not a world traveler to races either, just geographically lucky.

Actually that is one of the most intriguing things about this site, I remain amazed at the general youth of many of the active members. Makes me think my enjoyment of the vintage stuff might actually be somewhat rational!

Northy2
Approved Member

Post by Northy2 »

Jammin is a really cool guy, got to meet him at last years Neo :D Hope to chat to him at this years too :)

We introduced him to Jaffa Cakes- he bought a box full to take home :lol:

G
I'm back! I was 'Northy' but my profile got screwed :(