A few of my Tamiya projects

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RedScampi
Approved Member

A few of my Tamiya projects

Post by RedScampi »

These are just a few. I must admit I'm spread pretty thin right now. :/
A blackfoot I found on craigslist for dirt cheap. Very nice condition, just needs a new paint job - obviously painted in the eighties!
A blackfoot I found on craigslist for dirt cheap. Very nice condition, just needs a new paint job - obviously painted in the eighties!
I bought this one and found out the hard way about e-bay.  This is now a big pile of parts.
I bought this one and found out the hard way about e-bay. This is now a big pile of parts.
This Frog was the dirtiest RC car I have ever seen.  Anybody recognize the body?
This Frog was the dirtiest RC car I have ever seen. Anybody recognize the body?
Talk about sticker shock! This is actually quite nice under the stickers and grime.
Talk about sticker shock! This is actually quite nice under the stickers and grime.
Attachments
This is one of my favorites! I've got parts coming to completely restore this Hotshot.  I know it's not cost effective but buying a new kit just doesn't do it for me.
This is one of my favorites! I've got parts coming to completely restore this Hotshot. I know it's not cost effective but buying a new kit just doesn't do it for me.
Gary

civilguy
Approved Member

Re: A few of my Tamiya projects

Post by civilguy »

Cool Tamiyas. That looks like a Parma Chenowyth body for the Frog-- what do I win?? ;)
Hotshots are my personal favorite- search the forums for my JG Manufacturing "Dart" body. I think it was the coolest Hot/Supershot aftermarket body ever. The Wells Coyote is interesting too and a smidge easier to come by, but just doesn't have the Dart's panache. The old aftermarket bodies were just awesome. 8)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

Ahhh, thanks for the tip on the body! It's really big compared to the other Frog bodies. Looks almost like a larger scale, not sure I will use it yet. I got all the paint off of it though. If anyone tells you getting paint off Lexan is easy, forget it! I have tried brake fluid, which makes the Lexan cloudy and brittle, Easy-Off, more of the same. Unless the body is rare or hard to replace, i just don't think it's worth the time. I have most of the paint off the Blackfoot too, that's going much better! I'm tempted to just polish the plastic back to a high sheen but there are a few dings that would stand out. I'll most likely spray it a solid color so I can fill the imperfections. Progress pictures coming!
Gary

RedScampi
Approved Member

Post by RedScampi »

I have been busy stripping paint, removing old stickers, etc from some of my recent acquisitions. The Blackfoot is getting close, just a few really stubborn parts left before I can start on the paint. Since I have to paint outside it'll be spring before I can though. :cry: The blue Frog body isn't too bad, I may spruce it up a bit and try to use it. The car itself has been totally disassembled and cleaned, then treated to a new set of tires and wheels. (I know the rears are Grasshopper wheels but my Grasshopper has a long way to go). The brown Frog is pretty much as I got it still. The poor neglected looking Super Hornets are actually both getting new paint too - thus the crappy looking bodies. You can see how I modified the rear wing on one of them because it had a big chunk out of the top of it. I think it looks pretty cool plus it makes the body look a bit lighter.
Attachments
P1020142 (Large).JPG
P1020138 (Large).JPG
P1020158 (Large).JPG
P1020153 (Large).JPG
P1020152 (Large).JPG
P1020149 (Large).JPG
P1020148 (Large).JPG
Gary