I ruined my jeans.... ARGH

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

I ruined my jeans.... ARGH

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

I was fixing a misplaced hole on a rally car body by gluing a piece of lexan inside with epoxy with the plan to make a new hole in that piece... I did not notice but the body touched my jeans and left epoxy on it... CALISS! (French canadian sware word)... I imediately put my jeans in hot water (still soaking) but it seems that they are scrap...

I know... I should not ware nice pants to do this... It was a 5 minutes job. :evil: :evil:

I guess they are scrap heh?

joeyskates
Approved Member

Post by joeyskates »

Try soaking them in some acetone. :D

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Thanks...

Is this going to bleach them too?

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

With the trend of jeans having that worn look, you probally upped the value 50%. :D I always hear hot water sets stains where cool water is best for trying to get stains out immediately after it happens. With epoxy I doubt anything would get it out.

Whiskers
Approved Member

Post by Whiskers »

Acetone might work, but epoxy is like super glue and PVC cement. It bonds with the fibers, and just won't let go.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

At least you're not a painter. Nearly every piece of clothing I own has some paint on it.

jjacobsn
Approved Member

Post by jjacobsn »

Having some paint, glue,or other crap staining your pants makes you a man.... Enjoy it

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i betcha its pretty hard to get epozy out of your pants...

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Yeah they're ruined I'm pretty sure...

Thanks for the support though...

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

Your pants are toasted since one day's gone and the glue got the time to dry nicely. :? I have had the "experience" either when I was busy on gluing the wing dowels of a R/C plane, no chance to clean it if you don't do it straight away. The most common solvent for epoxy is denatured alcohol named also Isopropyl Alcohol.

By the way, the best results given to glue any base plastic stuff on plastic is to use... plastic. I use that to repair cowling, if offers the same caracteristic like new when neatly done. Some acetone in a glass can, a few holes on the cover and a few left over from the same plastic in the can. Let it melt overnigh and use the "pasta" like glue. I have never tried it on lexan 'cause I knew it would never find its original transparency but on hard Tamiya body it works very well. I guess there is also some "ready to use" products for body car shop repair but in the US I do not know the brands.

Every learing day is a good day,

Bonne chance, et criss de calice de tabernacle pourri... j'aime trop le français. :wink:
RC10WORLD

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

Yeah well... I kept them soaking in water so technically it's not dry yet...

I have some laboratory 96.6% alcohol here so I could try that I guess...

En passant.... on dis pas tabernacle au Québec. On dit tabarnak... bien tappé! Merci!

:)

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Post by RC10WORLD »

AYKBOBCAT wrote:Yeah well... I kept them soaking in water so technically it's not dry yet...
Unfortunately mate, yes it is. When epoxy/hardener are mixed, no chance to stop the epoxy drying, even in water. :? Warm water makes it even worse, its heat helps drying. If it helps making you feel better, I had some $150 slacks on, you guess the wife was pissed... .
En passant.... on dis pas tabernacle au Québec. On dit tabarnak... bien tappé! Merci!
T'as bien raison ! On dit tabarnak... vive le Québec libre ! :lol: Purée, il va nous manquer encore longtemps l'excellent de Gaulle.

Bien à toi.
RC10WORLD

coxy-ben
Approved Member

Post by coxy-ben »

ça parle français ici !!!!!!!! :D

AYKBOBCAT
Approved Member

Post by AYKBOBCAT »

HEY MY JEANS MAY BE OK!!!

I had given up on my jeans... I had some 96% laboratory alcohool at home. My wife tried the alcohoo on it and we can barely see the stains anymone!!!! This is great!

I have to wait for them to dry to see how it looks now...

Thanks for the various thoughts... :D

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Yep, had the same results with one of my favorite shirts. Unfortunately, a couple weeks later, the fiber started breaking, the glue made it brittle. With-in a couple months, there was a hole in my shirt were the epoxy was. That was 2 years ago, still got the shirt and you can see a little epoxy residue still in the fibers that are left. Good luck though, your pants are probably made of better material than my $12 Walmart shirt.