2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: 2010 -- VONATs -- Class Entry Discussion

Post by scr8p »

Erich Reichert wrote: What about if we went to box stock motors? I was talking to Tamiya about supplying them as handouts for Classic to overcome the overgearing issue for some cars... maybe its a fix for Clods and heavy metal too
i would vote for that.

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

Handout Silver cans?? Awesome Idea, I'd be in for it... :wink:

Erich,
Will we be able to still use our Lipos though??
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Yes the silver cans. I was thinking Sport tuned as well but was thinking that Tamiya might not want to pick up the cost for sport tuned handouts. Never hurts to ask though.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Silver cans would be cool for MT and entry level. You think we'd be able to clear the doubles with silver cans? Definitely ask if you can get Sport Tuned though, you never know. Heck, even if Tamiya wasn't going to give them away, maybe they could supply them at a discount price at the race? Just another thought.

MOmo
Approved Member

Post by MOmo »

That was my suggestion. I think for some of those purists, I think its only fair that there be one or a couple classes utilizing the Silver can. I also wonder about the RC10/JRX conversion kits for trucks? (I have 2, proline and the JG (I think) but setup on RC10 buggies.)

I also have a Tamiya King Cab. Without complicating things, could the stadium truck class be broken down into 2 classes, one for the Tamiyas sledgehammer, etc. and another for the RC10/Losi/kyosho conversions?

Also, when i hear heavy Metal, I think large, Clod, USA1, Double Dare, etc. To me, the larger stuff needs to not be racing against the smaller tamiya (lunch, blackfoot, king etc.)

Erich,

I would think you could get contacts at AE, or Tamiya to donate some silvercans. Wonder if Traxxas would donate the 20t stingers?

The downside of some of these is that I would want to run multiple classes, but I have to fly, so carrying equipment might be a challenge. Id probably run an original vintage, my converted stadium OR 10T, and a Sein car (totally modified).

MOmo

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Ya I actually talked to Tamiya about doing handouts for this year and it just didn't pan out but they were definitely cool with doing them so it's a possible fix for everyone. I like the idea too since all those "tamiya-type" cars ran on those style motors originally so I think it feeds further into the nostalgia of them. On another note Momo, take it from me, I tried running three classes this year and its just about all you really can do. If anything breaks your sort of screwed... there just isn't time to keep all three running and get them all set up, etc. I would tell anyone to run two classes and if they really feel like they're on top of thing maybe do a third and just not take it so seriously (in case you have to miss a round or something).

On another note while we're talking about the "other" side of the country (lol)... I've started poking around a very little bit about doing a race out in CA. Nothing yet since I literally just started this today but perhaps you and others won't have to fly so far to get some track time in. I'm hoping to spread tings out a little bit out there hoping it'll make the Nationals bigger next year and in the future.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

hey erich, were do you think a yz10 w/ a jg monster truck conversion would fit? to me, any converted buggy (rc10, jrx2, ultima, etc.) turned into a truck should have to run in the stadium truck class. but this one would be 4wd. doesn't seem right to throw it in the heavy metal class, either. :?

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i dont mind the loose rules & classes that have been in effect over the past 2 years.

but...

i think a 'racer spec' class would be cool, where sub-c batteries (maybe just nicads...) and brushed motors (fast ones) are required. maybe handout motors and a pre '94 esc as well. it'd make the oldschool guys with the dischargers and motor dynos happy and validate the whole 'vintage' theme.
have just a couple rounds of qualifying and one main.

imo, it'd make an exciting main with the possibility of the racers burning something up or running out of juice.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

badhoopty wrote:
i think a 'racer spec' class would be cool, where sub-c batteries (maybe just nicads...) and brushed motors (fast ones) are required. maybe handout motors and a pre '94 esc as well. it'd make the oldschool guys with the dischargers and motor dynos happy and validate the whole 'vintage' theme.

imo, it'd make an exciting main with the possibility of the racers burning something up or running out of juice.
NiCd, brushed, 2.0 rear wheel pre 94 class would be great. Maybe go with a 'spec' rear tire, the Losi silver 2.0 step pins are still available...maybe Horizon would donate them as a handout. 2.0 wheels would be the only problem, but since it's a vintage class you'd just have to man up and find them yourself.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Both years I ran vintage tires, Nimh and brushed motors. I did have newer (5 year old) ESCs, but I could have easily run one of my old Novaks. Like I've said about a billion times already in this thread, the reason I go to CT is not so much to win, but to have fun racing old cars.

Mazdaj
Approved Member

Post by Mazdaj »

templeofspeed wrote:
badhoopty wrote:

NiCd, brushed, 2.0 rear wheel pre 94 class would be great. Maybe go with a 'spec' rear tire, the Losi silver 2.0 step pins are still available...maybe Horizon would donate them as a handout. 2.0 wheels would be the only problem, but since it's a vintage class you'd just have to man up and find them yourself.
This was the point I was tring to make in my prior post.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Mazdaj wrote:
templeofspeed wrote:
badhoopty wrote:

This was the point I was tring to make in my prior post.
i brought the idea up last december. you can see how far that went..............

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8238

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

Erich-
I sent you a PM about a possible stock motor supplier for next years race. I've got my fingers crossed that something will work out.

dirtdiver

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

got it thanks mister! :) As far as the electronics. I love the idea too on paper but I'm dumbfounded to try and understand why anyone would want to try and run equipment that was unreliable at best 20 years ago much less 20 year old unreliable equipment. LOL. The tires thing I would stay away from for three reasons. 1. they don't work on RCHR's surface much less anywhere (esp with no inserts), B. spikes would most likely tear up the track and the last thing I'd ever want to do is damage such a beautiful facility, and Third. The widespread ability to find tires, much less enough to race a weekend on is next to none. As a whole for both electronics and tires I kept is open so that more people could have fun and not have to invest a boat load of money... sort of the whole point of the race was that nowhere else in this hobby could you reasonably race with under $200 worth of equipment.

soniccj5
Approved Member

Post by soniccj5 »

I raced with all my old radio gear(Futaba Magnum Jr). The only new electronics I had was a Trinity C027 motor and two 3300 NiMH. I even used my original Team Losi JRX2 tires on the front of my Rc-10. Humm.. That might be one reason I had trouble steering..