My Kyosho Ultima Build

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Re: My Kyosho Ultima Build

Post by Mr. ED »

I'll try to remember taking a picture tomorrow. I'm not sure if you can buy those blue rings separate

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Well happy new year guys!!!

I found the spacers seperate on amainhobbies.

Now the delimma for the turnbuckles

Here is a email I got from lunsford
"The only parts we ever made for the Ultima were turnbuckles. We didn't have the technology to make screws back then.

Below are the turnbuckle sizes we put in our kit:
4 1 1/4" Punisher Turnbuckles
2 2" Punisher Turnbuckles

We have a wide variety of Punisher turnbuckles available on our website. They are sold in packages of 2 with ball cups included in most kits.

Just follow the link to our website:
http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LUNS&Category_Code=3MM

Sincerely,
Barb"

Heres my delima, do you think those sizes will work? because I think if you add the ball ends the lengths would be too long for the 2" ones. Do you think the 1 1/4 will work with ball cups? I also need a link for the center of the steering, it needs to be the exact same lenth as the 2 steering posts distance from eachother, I am just unsure of how long of turnbuclkes to buy and add the cups and have them be too long. I know they can be adjusted, but I don't want barely any ball cup on and the threads to rip out or too much lenth on turnbuclke and the cups have to go all the way on with no adjustment.

Also I think the threads on the rhino steering are standard, I think 4/40. I tried a kyosho ball stud and it wasn't the right size, I tried other metric screws like the shock holding screws for the ultima and they were the right size but the thread didn't match. So I tried a ball stud from my t4 and it threaded in fine. So I take it I will prob use RPM ball cups for Associated and Losi cars with probably Associated ball studs. LMK what you think.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

I'm putting that slipper clutch on ebay since you guys said they work like crap anyways. Hopefully it will help recover some of the cost and pay for a few more parts I need.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Do optima mid rear arms fit the ultima?

Prince Steve
Approved Member

Post by Prince Steve »

ace028 wrote:Do optima mid rear arms fit the ultima?
Sorry no they do not. Why would you want to switch them out? Length?
AKA ( settin03 R/C hobbies and more ) on Ebay

Since being on this site I have found that I have too many parts and R/C Models. Please help me get rid of them. ;-)

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

only because I saw andys rear arms for a mid on ebay and thought it would be cool to have andys rear on my ultima just to match the front ones. I don't want wider then stock in the rear though.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I wouldn't do that: if you manage to get the length right using other axle corriers, the shock mount position on the mid arms is further aft. Not far enough aft to put the shocks on the back of the shocktower unfortunately.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

I'm not going to change the rear arms. I am thinking of putting the original arms and hubs back on though, just becase the part quality seems better. If someone wants the rear arms and hub carriers in trade for a new front OEM bulkhead LMK.

Small update,

Rcscrews emailed me and said my new screw kit is on its way, so hopefully it has all the correct sizes, or at least most of them lol.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Received my RCscrews kit today, I will post later if it actually has the correct sizes. I took a quick peek in the box and it does appear to have some of the correct screws like the countersunk ones for the bumper. Maybe that list of screw sizes I included with the kit I returned helped.

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

ace028 wrote:Received my RCscrews kit today, I will post later if it actually has the correct sizes. I took a quick peek in the box and it does appear to have some of the correct screws like the countersunk ones for the bumper. Maybe that list of screw sizes I included with the kit I returned helped.

I'd be interested in seeing how the screws work out. I've been thinking about placing an order for a couple Kyosho based projects myself.

The bulkhead & trans to chassis screws seem to be tough to find in the correct pitch.

I love the Ultima builds, they're great cars to modify.
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Well a lot of screws that were missing are in my kit now, but it is still missing some stuff. I have started replaceing the easily acessible screws, and will finish this weekend. I still don't recomend products from RCscrewz because of the hassle to get the correct ones. I send the initial kit I ordered back with a list I typed out from the ultima build manuel and the kit I got back is still missing some screws, and it appears that some of the really long ones still aren't the correct length. Pics later.

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

ace028 wrote:I still don't recomend products from RCscrewz because of the hassle to get the correct ones. I send the initial kit I ordered back with a list I typed out from the ultima build manuel and the kit I got back is still missing some screws, and it appears that some of the really long ones still aren't the correct length. Pics later.
X2

vwjuice
Approved Member

Post by vwjuice »

I agree to stay away from rcscrewz. I just bought a used B4 and it came with a new rcscrewz kit and most of these are the wrong length. It's the current model rc10 buggy and they have the wrong screws in that.

ace028
Approved Member

Post by ace028 »

Well he sent me a email saying he sent out the missing screws. He also said that the m3x33 for the gear box I will have to cut down from 35mm.

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

This may or may not help you.
Kyosho still has the M, L, and LL turnbuckles in stock. I think they are UM-12, 13, 14. UM 11 is the short one and is hard to find. However if you don't mind silver, IFW2 is the same length and style, just different finish.

Also, HPI carries a lot of the same style screws that were originally on the Ultima. Phillips, steel, same finish. May have to trim to length on the gearbox screws tho.