Buggy Champ Runner

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

germanrc10gt
Approved Member

Re: Buggy Champ Runner

Post by germanrc10gt »

thanks for your answers guys.

still have one question. i've never seen one srb with a modified motor i.e. motor with open endbell.
how is that motor mounted or fixed, only by that motor plate? can i use a modified motor at all?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

I run a 17turn mod motor in mine. You need to drill one hole in the gear case to secure the motor in and you don't use the plastic motor cover. I have heard that the motor hole is larger on the re-release so you may or may not need to remove the sticker on the motor or enlarge the hole to get the mod motor in.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

slotcarrod wrote:
germanrc10gt wrote:could i somehow use a 6-cell stickpack with that original radio?
i ordered a buggy champ but i guess i'll get me a new battery :?:
No, a stick pack will not work! You would have to make a hump pack, 5 cells on the bottom and 1 on top. If you have a lipo charger, just get a cheap 7.4v lipo for a Parkzone spitfire! You could also take your built car to the hobby shop and find many other 7.4v lipos that will fit! The A123 packs are slow, due to the low voltage. Not a big deal on this car!
I made a mistake, It's not the battery for the Parkzone Spitfire as that one is 11.1v. The ones I have are for a crawler and are the same size as the Spitfire pack but they are 7.4v. Like I said before "take your built car to the hobby shop and you will find many other 7.4v lipos that will fit!" I have some 2500 2cell's that fit well. :wink:

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

I have been running with Frog tires and wheels lately and the buggy hooks up 10 times better. Punch two holes in the rear tires, this is even better!

I placed 3M protective tape on all the repainted sections that see the most damage, and this works like a charm. I rolled many times yesterday and not one scratch. You can't even tell the tape is there. I need to top up my shocks!

As for fitting a mod motor, I'm sure most conventional stand up brushed types will fit!
DSC07704.jpg

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

I have never heard of doing that with tape. thanks for quicktip!

I have communicated to my wife this is what I want this year. Hope I get it- under $300 would be great

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Someone needs to fabricate an alloy roof and front pillars for this car. Then the spotlights will never brake off the roof.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

mikedealer
Approved Member

Post by mikedealer »

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

budhatrain wrote:I have never heard of doing that with tape. thanks for quicktip!

I have communicated to my wife this is what I want this year. Hope I get it- under $300 would be great
Yes the 3M protective decal/sticker (suff used on hoods/bonnets to keep the rock chips away) will work well for protecting your tub/graphite chassis as well.

Tower has the Buggy Champ for $319.00 USD (not in stock, they say they will get more but I doubt it) http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXPW7&P=ML

The store I work at, has 5 in stock at $389.99 CDN (about $345.00 USD) A bit high as we purchased them when our dollar was a bit low! http://www.pmhobbycraft.ca/store/

Not sure you will find one for 300.00 or less with cheap shipping. I also hear that there are no more being made by Tamiya and it's only one batch made! Got this info from a dealer!

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

what to do- i am bouncing between buggy champ and toyota tundra... I saw this great sand scorcher (gray and slick looking) when I first joined the forum- I think I have resolved to do a poor mans version just scored the new body set and looking for a frog/brat on the bay.

I am totally into building the kits and would regret not picking up one of kits- buggy champ/ toyota... Torn...that's all I can say. 4 bills is a lot to dip out right now.

Well I do have a rc10t and HPI hs4 MT to clean up... probably be cheaper in the long term. Long rant- tape idea is great and this buggy build looks hot!

TenzoR
Approved Member

Post by TenzoR »

budhatrain wrote:what to do- i am bouncing between buggy champ and toyota tundra... I saw this great sand scorcher (gray and slick looking) when I first joined the forum- I think I have resolved to do a poor mans version just scored the new body set and looking for a frog/brat on the bay.

I am totally into building the kits and would regret not picking up one of kits- buggy champ/ toyota... Torn...that's all I can say. 4 bills is a lot to dip out right now.

Well I do have a rc10t and HPI hs4 MT to clean up... probably be cheaper in the long term. Long rant- tape idea is great and this buggy build looks hot!

I have an old 3 speed Hilux and SuperChamp so maybe the newer ones are different but I doubted. IMO the Tundra will be a better build, just because it's more complex and a lot more parts. The Buggy Champ is really simple to build.

To be fair I bought a Buggy Champ just because it looks better :)

budhatrain
Approved Member

Post by budhatrain »

TenzoR wrote:
budhatrain wrote:what to do- i am bouncing between buggy champ and toyota tundra... I saw this great sand scorcher (gray and slick looking) when I first joined the forum- I think I have resolved to do a poor mans version just scored the new body set and looking for a frog/brat on the bay.

I have an old 3 speed Hilux and SuperChamp so maybe the newer ones are different but I doubted. IMO the Tundra will be a better build, just because it's more complex and a lot more parts. The Buggy Champ is really simple to build.

To be fair I bought a Buggy Champ just because it looks better :)

that's the way I am leaning

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Get the buggy, the Tundra will be around for a few years to come! Mind you...... What do we do when Tamiya releases the "new" Sand Scorcher and the Ford Ranger??????? :shock:

Fork out the coin! :cry: :mrgreen:

Raman
Approved Member

Post by Raman »

slotcarrod wrote:I have been running with Frog tires and wheels lately and the buggy hooks up 10 times better. Punch two holes in the rear tires, this is even better!

I placed 3M protective tape on all the repainted sections that see the most damage, and this works like a charm. I rolled many times yesterday and not one scratch. You can't even tell the tape is there. I need to top up my shocks!

As for fitting a mod motor, I'm sure most conventional stand up brushed types will fit!

Brilliant idea.. 3M protective Tape.. why didn't I think of that. My body is freshly painted, went the Orange and White route. Running mine with the Paddle Tracs on the back. Also picked up a Kamtech VW lexan.. just incase I roll it. :D

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Hey Rod,
How does it drive?
Will an RC10 walk away from it like BITD?
L8r,
Brian

Raman
Approved Member

Post by Raman »

RC10resto wrote:Hey Rod,
How does it drive?
Will an RC10 walk away from it like BITD?
L8r,
Brian
You can't compare an SRB / Buggy Champ to an RC10 LOL. The design of the SRB is from 1979. Its scaled down version of an actual baja buggy that raced in the mint 400. So at its core its a radio control scale model. Its heavy and has odd handling characteristics... positive camber. Back when this kit was released RC competition was virtually non existent.

RC10 was born with racing in mind. It revolutionized the buggy chassis with adjustable camber, toe, ball differential and to this day all 2 wd RC buggies are based on the essentially the same set up with addition of slipper clutches.