Early morning score!!!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Early morning score!!!

Post by scr8p »

Charlie don't surf wrote:I want to know who the heck decided that the Shuey spikes would hook on that surface?
i really don't remember when those tires came out. i know at some tracks around here, when i started racing edm's, they were already using them. prop & wheels in tamaqua, pa comes to mind. i was racing at macungie memorial park in the main building, and there, we were using the crps's with the large spikes.

i know ROH73 raced hardwood around here before i got into racing in '91. there was like a year between when he stopped and i started. he might be able to shed some light on it.

as amx said, it was most likely just one of those things that someone stumbled upon. being as though running mid-motor wasn't the norm in the early 90's, the cars pushed reall bad on the hardwood, and it was tough to try and dial it out. running the skinny schumacher's on the back, you got rid of half the tire patch, and it freed the car up to roll through the corners much better. yet still had plenty of bite to come up of the corner. the reduction of rotating mass was nice, too. especially when we were running a 27t.

amx73
Approved Member

Post by amx73 »

That's right the Schumacher tires came in Green, and Blue compounds. I think they made the cars sit higher also, which made them lean over more for better cornering on hardwood. I never understood the thought process behind the Cat tires myself. I always wondered why the never got a big roll of indoor/outdoor carpet, and taped it down?

Jake
One mans junk, is another mans treasure!!

fastang
Approved Member

Post by fastang »

What did you use for rear wheels when using the shuy fronts on the back? Did you just cut down a rear wheel or put a pin slot in a front wheel and drill it out. Id love to see some pics of these cars!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

we just used the narrow 870c/yz10 yokomo, or trinity yoke/dominator wheels with the yoke rc10 rear hub adapters.
IMG_1351.JPG

amx73
Approved Member

Post by amx73 »

scr8p wrote:we just used the narrow 870c/yz10 yokomo, or trinity yoke/dominator wheels with the yoke rc10 rear hub adapters.
IMG_1351.JPG
That's the ticket!!! Were u running a Late Model body? Or EDM?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the 93-94 indoor season i ran late model (finished second in points - lost buy 10 points). that's how the car is set up in the pic with the andy's mount up front. i had a CW open comp camaro body on it, with the big side dam. the years before and after that was all edm.

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

In NY we ran tires that made sense-but the rest of the car was pretty much the same, faster than the better than average PA car. But otherwise the same-but better :wink:
1 a1 wallts car 001.JPG

amx73
Approved Member

Post by amx73 »

NY car my rear end!!! :lol: Nj cars were the best...dirty, looked like thrown together junk but, beat the pants off NY, and PA cars!!! :shock:

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

That's right the Schumacher tires came in Green, and Blue compounds
the yellow compound that schumacher is using today is amazing. i believe that in the uk they run touring cars indoors primairly on polished wood floors according to the guys on the schumacher forum the yellow compound was designed for that surface. it works wonders on polished concrete as well which is what i run them on, stagger rib on all 4 corners. dale hartzel ran his a few times at strands in mcadoo on the hardwood before they put down the carpet and stopmed the feild with his.

amx73
Approved Member

Post by amx73 »

All right!!! Got it in the mail this morning!!! Here are some better pics. Sorry about my shaky camera work...little blurry!