XXT

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

tn102

Re: XXT

Post by tn102 »

should I cut it first? it also came with the extra wing that needs to be painted, but I am going to leave it clear. I am also going with this paint, Tamiya PS-22 Polycarbonate Spray Racing Green

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

You dont have to cut it first , some ppl do, some dont, I tend not to as it gives me more to hang on to. For your wing you will hve to cut it out or mask it off it you dont want to get any paint on it. take your time and make sure all the masks are pressed down good as the paint will creep under.
Looks like a nice colour
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

tn102

Post by tn102 »

the LHS didn't have tamiya paint, but had Pactra paint. I got metallic green, hopefully it'll be about the same. I think I'm going to cut it first, so I won't damage the paint after I get it painted. I also have to drill the holes for the body mounts, so I am definitely going to do that first. That way if I mess up drilling, I wouldn't have used any paint.

What would I use to attach the wing to the body? I was thinking super glue would work, but I don't know if there is anything that is better.

Also, I want to paint 2 stripes down the middle with some white I bought, and also paint some white on the sides. Would regular painters tape work to mask it off, or is there something special I need. The body did come with window masks, so I know those will work.

I read somewhere that the metallic paints have a good backing with white. Does this just mean I spray paint white over the metallic green? I know I am going to paint the green first, then the white, from darkest to lightest, but do I cover all of the body with white after I get all of it painted?

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Dont use super gllue on your wing, wont be strong and will probley react with the poly body, use servo tape or there are little plastic wing mount screws.
The green painters tape will work fine just burnish the edges( press em down good with a rounded piece of plastic works best).
Coating the inside of the body in white will make the metallics pop more and is a good idea, silver is the most recommended for metallic backer but going by you at 20-30-40-50mph you will never see the difference.
Take ur time have fun.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

tn102

Post by tn102 »

I am now having electrical problems. The ESC is only a forward/brake, and I adjusted the transmitter to a 70/30 instead of the 50/50. I then proceeded to set the ESC to accommodate for the change. I ran the battery thru it, charged the battery back up, and now it won't move most of the time, the very little it does is when I bump it with my foot and it takes off for a few feet. I think something happened to the motor when I set the ESC, because at first I was having problems and it would just take right off full throttle and not stop.

Is this the motor, or do i need to reset the ESC. the ESC is a Novak Cyclone.

If I need a new motor, I'm probably going to save and get a brushless system. what should I get? I am running a 6cell battery with deans connector. I was thinking Associated 540R 3900kV Motor/XP SC450-BL ESC

Also, would it be faster or slower with a brushless system on 6 cells. If it's going to be slower I'll just look at getting some new motors and some motor connectors and have several on hand so I can easily swap a bad motor out.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

Check all connections and motor brushes

tn102

Post by tn102 »

Well I checked the brushes and they look ok, but I don't exactly know what to look for to tell if they are bad. The only connection that isn't soldered is the battery connection.