Old is New JRX2 (Arms mounted)

The place for all things Losi.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

Re: Old is New JRX2

Post by Seabass »

Well I hope I can turn this one into a nice car like the others I have worked on. I ran Losi cars back in the day and I just can't get comfortable driving my RC10. I am hoping I can get this one finished. Once done I plan on driving this one too. Which ever one feels the best to me will be my driver. The other will be cleaned up and shelved.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I'm not sure if you saw my modern frustration with the old car thread but basically I talked about my RC10 issues. I've spent about 6 months working on/tuning my RC10 to make it the best it could be with the advantage of now having the adult budget and knowledge that I never did as a kid. I've since remedied many issues but I also mentioned my JRX-Pro. I built a Pro from spare parts, set it up according to my best guess based on my RC10 experiences and then took it to the track. It handled better and was far more forgiving than the RC10 that I had been working on for months. It is just plain easier to drive. My best setup guess on that car was better than all the testing work I'd done on the RC10. It wasn't even close. My RC10 will get out on the track again with many changes but that car will probably forever remain second to my JRX-Pro unless I come up with some really spectacular fixes for certain things I don't like about that car. I do have ideas so I should probably never say never. Now I can't wait to get back out to the track to fully dial the JRX-Pro in. It's going to be very nice. I like it better than the XX. It's far less fragile. I can't even give the XX away since they are practically worthless. Now I know why! You're going to love it!
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I saw your thread about the RC10. Of course my RC10 was nothing close to what it should have been and that is probably the reason why it feels a bit loose. There are a ton of things that I have not messed with and I really have not put a lot of track time on the car so that is proably the major reason I wasn't completely satisfied. Last race I went to was the first race I had been to in years. Started practice turning 31 - 33 sec laps. By the last day of racing I was consistently under 30 sec a lap and was even throwing some 28's in the mix. Problem was everyone else was throwing consistent 28's and 27's with the RC10 as well. I need more practice, LOL.

I raced Losi cars back in the day and was very comfortable with the car. This one is going to have some significant changes as well just because I like changing stuff and adding my own touch to the car.

Which ever one I like driving the most will end up being a primary car. I will probably bring them both out when I go to the track though. I will have the option of chossing the car I want to run that way.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

I'm hoping that after the RC10 goes back together that I'll start to like it again. I too will have them both out at the track and will be able to select between them but if I can guess in one evening on a setup on the JRX that is better than the setup that I came up with over 6 months in the RC10 (and I know what I'm doing!) then it does not bode well for the RC10. Driving ability only goes so far. At some point an old design is an obstacle that can't be overcome with any amount of skill.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

This sound like it will be a very smart project. cant wait to see it... :D

slow_jun
Approved Member

Post by slow_jun »

Will stay tuned,also have a similar project.....
“It is more shameful to distrust our friends than to be deceived by them.”
― Confucius

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I have not gottem much done one the car and I am waiting on a few things before I can really take off with this car.

The chassis is in nice structual shape but cosmetically the thing was pretty rough looking. There was gobs of superglue all over the thing. Apparently the car also belonged to Chad Warner since his name is engraved into the bottom and the top. Off course it looks like they used a hammer and chisel to dig in the chassis :lol: . I decided to try something with the chassis before I decide to cut a new one out of some material with the kick up.

I remembered seeing someone using vinyl and covering a JRX2 chassis. For $9.00 I figured what the heck.

I had to sand the chassis down with a DA sander to get rid of all the superglue. I then covered the top and bottom with the Vinyl Carbon Fiber stuff. It looks really good but I am not sure how well it will hold up to running. Worst case scenario, I pull the car apart and just paint the chassis black, or cut a new one from the material I have.

mikea96

Post by mikea96 »

That looks really good!

m_vice
Approved Member

Post by m_vice »

Is this the Vinyl Carbon Fiber than comes with the glue on one side?
looks good on the photo, :D

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Yeah it has adhesive on the other side. I picked it up from eBay, figured I would give it a shot. $9.00 shipped and was enough to cover the two sides and I still have enough for one side of another chassis.

askbob
Approved Member

Post by askbob »

Lookin' good! The CF vinyl is trick.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

maybe put a piece of the clear chassis protector over top of the vinyl on the bottom. should help it last awhile longer.

UltraHIVE
Approved Member

Post by UltraHIVE »

nice! love how it brings it back to life... always wanted to do that. i tried to make my own CF vinyl, but i think the vinyl i use is too glossy. does that have a matte finish?

i have 4 chassis' that need restoration, and a fresh can of resin. im hoping to salvage the good one by just filling in the few extra holes that were made. gonna try to mix some black dye into the resin, hope it works out :D

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

I was able to get the first couple sets of arms cut for this build. Machined the new arms out of 6/6 nylon, same material as the dynotech RC10 arms. The rear arms are the same length and width as the standard H arms found on the Pro, Pro SE. The front arms are swept back and the same dimensions as the front arms from the Pro Se. Basic design changes but same geometry as standard ole Losi arms. These will not break either so I guess that is a bonus.

I still need to drill the hinge pin holes for these.

I plan on making a big run of these at one point. I may have a set or two for sale soon in the BST. I need to check the clearance for sliders on the rear arms to make sure they will clear the arm. They should but sometimes, the plan does not always work as scheduled.

nvxwax
Approved Member

Re: Old is New JRX2 (machined new arms)

Post by nvxwax »

They look great Jake, Im thinking you should bring the Jrx2 and the 870 to next years Vonats :)