Grand Prix tires, Moody and other dirt oval tires.

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Grand Prix tires, Moody and other dirt oval tires.

Post by Charlie don't surf »

EvolutionRevolution wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:Thin rubber "cap" wrapped over a foam tire, I have some old ones here somewhere- we used them at tracks that didn't allow foams. Rubber over foam equals flubbers
AKA "caps".
nah, radial caps are asphalt belted rubber tires with closed cell cores. The dirt oval flubber is a mounted and trued rubber foam, trued to a desired size and shape then coated with contact cement or silicone then a thin soft rubber tire is placed over the foam tire. Kinda same principle ( very low expansion during high loads and wheel speeds ) but the caps were used to maintain traction on high speeds, the flubber was a way to get around the " no foams " rules at tracks when you came into town for a big race.

Here Is a really old and shot set
IMAG0887.jpg
IMAG0890.jpg

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

JB, the GrandPrix tires I had came on my first BBT sprintcar,I asked Randy where they came from and was told they were from England,they were an exact match to the ones on Eslay...JohnnySr

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Yeah guys, post old oval stuff. Thanks for the flubber info. The Grand Prix are manufactured by Mrc. Well that's what is marked on the wheels.

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
EvolutionRevolution wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:Thin rubber "cap" wrapped over a foam tire, I have some old ones here somewhere- we used them at tracks that didn't allow foams. Rubber over foam equals flubbers
AKA "caps".
nah, radial caps are asphalt belted rubber tires with closed cell cores. The dirt oval flubber is a mounted and trued rubber foam, trued to a desired size and shape then coated with contact cement or silicone then a thin soft rubber tire is placed over the foam tire. Kinda same principle ( very low expansion during high loads and wheel speeds ) but the caps were used to maintain traction on high speeds, the flubber was a way to get around the " no foams " rules at tracks when you came into town for a big race.
Tamiya and their Tire caps and other manufacturers and us pancar guys in Europe who call rubber sleeved foamies caps disagree. :wink:

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Cool, didn't realize the continental differences. :D You have any shots of the tires you are talking about?

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

Johnboy72 wrote:Unknown Manufacturer:

I really like these only because they match up to the Prolines so well! The one on the yellow rim is in really good shape.
My second favorite Grand Prix.
The Yellow one looks to be a Tamiya Lunchbox/pumpkin wheel. I would like to find a set of road tires like that for my lunchbox?
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Yeah I have a bunch of Lunchbox parts as this is what the KRP car uses for a rear axle. The majority of the rims were Tamiya as well. The fronts are too, they just cut them and narrowed them down. Sometimes on the left rear too. I'll try to get some pics up after christmas.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

JB, I wanted to know more on the GP tires and alum wheels so I called Randy again the tires did come from England and were used in 1/8 racing and the gentleman that made the wheels was in Colorado and has since passed on....JB are ya still in the Military or did ya ETS yet? Thanks JohnnySr

Johnboy72
Approved Member

Post by Johnboy72 »

Thanks for the info Johnny. Yeah, I'm still in the military trying to stick it out for the long haul. Already past halfway but damn if these sensitive soldiers and politics are killing me! Hard to be an NCO when you can't cuss or even touch a soldier. Some of these kids need to be smacked around! All they do is complain and whine. Oh well, back on topic. lol.

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Johnboy72 wrote:Thanks for the info Johnny. Yeah, I'm still in the military trying to stick it out for the long haul. Already past halfway but damn if these sensitive soldiers and politics are killing me! Hard to be an NCO when you can't cuss or even touch a soldier. Some of these kids need to be smacked around! All they do is complain and whine. Oh well, back on topic. lol.
Yup! know whay Ya mean...I was always cracking helmet liners on some recruits that didn't get in line 8) Ahhhh the good ole days...wish I coulda stayed in...but wrong place wrong time and 1 year in the hospital and all the training went to waste..not like the civies wanted a broken soldier...especialy in the late 60's...