Daryl's question & answer thread on Team A&L Cars and Trucks

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Re: Daryl's question & answer thread on Team A&L Cars and Tr

Post by Daryl Lane »

J.M. wrote:Hi Daryl.
Is it a little too personal to ask why you guys split and went your separate ways? With the company name being what it is it seems like you two should be life long pals designing, creating and selling some of the coolest merchandise we have ever seen. (Can you tell I'm a fan of your merchandise) :)
I am hard to get along with, we both had young growing families, so the stress of running a business in a down sizing industry and paying the bills drove us in two different directions.
Old is more FUN

Team A&L know it all - really :)

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Daryl Lane wrote:
Dave it was an Associated pan car with a few mods to it, 14 sub "c" battery's, BSR caps, Tekin speed control and a Fantom custom wind 9 motor. I have pictures some where and I still have the car. It was either the following year or two years later I can the chassis with a Volovo 850 Estate "wagon" body on it. It ended up on the end of one of that years Associated videos flipping over in turn one.

i always wondered who's volvo that was. that thing was moving til lift caught the best of it.

out of curiosity, i noticed your late 90's factory works ads had a volvo estate body in them. were you a big fan of the life size european super tourers?

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Oh damn... It really was a divorce. I was only kidding. Sorry, bad joke! :oops:

What bodies did the "A&L" line have? I probably know this, just have forgotten.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

littleVETTE wrote:
Daryl Lane wrote: i always wondered who's volvo that was. that thing was moving til lift caught the best of it.

out of curiosity, i noticed your late 90's factory works ads had a volvo estate body in them. were you a big fan of the life size european super tourers?
I contacted Volvo for rights to make and sale the 850 bodies - really great people to work with. So I got into the BTCC racing and watching it for awhile. Subscribed to the British AutoTrader racing monthly for two years. Very price mag in the 90's - I recall it was $150.00 a year.
Old is more FUN

LINK TO TALK A&L Off topic/Chit Chat http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31149

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Daryl Lane wrote:
littleVETTE wrote:
Daryl Lane wrote: i always wondered who's volvo that was. that thing was moving til lift caught the best of it.

I contacted Volvo for rights to make and sale the 850 bodies - really great people to work with. So I got into the BTCC racing and watching it for awhile. Subscribed to the British AutoTrader racing monthly for two years. Very price mag in the 90's - I recall it was $150.00 a year.

that's sweet. that volvo estate was what got me hooked onto the super tourers. loved the body and decal sheet you guys created.

aip47-2008
Approved Member

Post by aip47-2008 »

In a ROAR event in 1988 maybe 89 A&L made the podium with what was stated to be an A&L 4wd prototype. What exactly was this car and what can you share about some of the early prototype cars you and Chris were running?

Thanks for this thread Daryl!!

Aaron Evans

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

aip47-2008 wrote:In a ROAR event in 1988 maybe 89 A&L made the podium with what was stated to be an A&L 4wd prototype. What exactly was this car and what can you share about some of the early prototype cars you and Chris were running?

Thanks for this thread Daryl!!

Aaron Evans
In 89 it would have been Chris "Hirobo" scratch built car he raced at the Worlds in 88 I think it was? All n=most 100% hand made chassis and suspension.
Old is more FUN

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

are the rear wheels on that speed run car solid?

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

scr8p wrote:are the rear wheels on that speed run car solid?
No they are BSR light weights I made Vinyl covers for them and put them on both sides.

Guys I will be away from the computer for a couple of days - Daryl
Old is more FUN

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

Up-dated Gallery thread tonight, couple more custom built A&L RC's.

Yes I an a shameless attention ....
Old is more FUN

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

those are some sweet shots of your insane speed car. i always wondered what it had under the hood. i was always under the impression that it was a fiberglass car. i don't know why? did you ever try running the car with something that would give it a flat bottom? seemed like the body was the problem of it 'lifting' at high speed.

abailey21
Approved Member

Post by abailey21 »

So Daryl, with Associated doing the RC10 rere, does that mean we can see some lethal weapon transmissions in the near future?

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

littleVETTE wrote:those are some sweet shots of your insane speed car. i always wondered what it had under the hood. i was always under the impression that it was a fiberglass car. i don't know why? did you ever try running the car with something that would give it a flat bottom? seemed like the body was the problem of it 'lifting' at high speed.
The Body was the problem - but mostly because of incorrect chassis set up. When I run the insane class if was more for attention to our products and not to actually win the class. So the bodies were the talking point, first the Roadkill then the 850 wagon body. The bottom of the chassis when I ran it was completely covered with 3mil vinyl so it was smooth and flat. Only place it was open was the rear pod.
Old is more FUN

Daryl Lane
Approved Member

Post by Daryl Lane »

abailey21 wrote:So Daryl, with Associated doing the RC10 rere, does that mean we can see some lethal weapon transmissions in the near future?
If Associated puts the stealth in the rere then I can convert that diff to the LW's. I have to wait and see what they do?
Old is more FUN

littleVETTE
Approved Member

Post by littleVETTE »

Daryl Lane wrote:
littleVETTE wrote:those are some sweet shots of your insane speed car. i always wondered what it had under the hood. i was always under the impression that it was a fiberglass car. i don't know why? did you ever try running the car with something that would give it a flat bottom? seemed like the body was the problem of it 'lifting' at high speed.
The Body was the problem - but mostly because of incorrect chassis set up. When I run the insane class if was more for attention to our products and not to actually win the class. So the bodies were the talking point, first the Roadkill then the 850 wagon body. The bottom of the chassis when I ran it was completely covered with 3mil vinyl so it was smooth and flat. Only place it was open was the rear pod.

just like a vw beetle. too bad, i would of loved to have seen you run it up there with clausen or mcgregor. it looked like it had potential.