The problem with vintage Tamiya...

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Re: The problem with vintage Tamiya...

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

JosephS wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:30 pm
EvolutionRevolution wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:50 am
In this case the car isn't even intended to be a racer. The CC-01 is Tamiya's 1990s chassis for their Jeep Cherokee, Pajero, etc. vehicles, and still gets rereleased to this day with new bodies. It's basically a proto-crawler chassis with independent front suspension and live rear axle with highly realistic bodies. It's biggest issue is that the suspension...well...bends so much that it doesn't really work :lol: . So it needs about 150 bucks in aftermarket parts to fix the most basic issues in the rear suspension alone. Add another 100 for better wheels and tires (the original tires are very hard), and the remaining money for fixing the other issues + ball bearings. OTOH, it includes a basic ESC.
The car in question is basically the Tamiya I always wanted but never bought, so sentimental value yes.
Given the price of crawlers you may actually save a few dollars and still have a crawler you want.
One of my other reasons was because I thought it might satisfy my desire for a RC vehicle with scale looks for much less that a Tamiya 1/14 truck.

Right now it looks like the cheapest 1/14 cabs might actually cost me less than the CC-01 + options...cab + trailer might be just a little bit more than the CC-01. That is, if I don't go down the rabbit hole with regards to 4-wheel drive conversion and elaborate electronics for the cab. :lol: