== Who the Heck Are You? ==

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

- Married to Heither (since '01, but been together since '96)
- No kids, just two Golden Retreivers, Shelby and Bailey (of which are my kids and irreplaceable.... Love them to death!)
- Job: Program Manager w/GE
- Daily Driver: 2010 Honda Element
- In the garage: 1967 Shelby GT500, 1966 Mustang I-6 Coupe, 1959 VW Beetle (none of them run)
- RC History: Got my first one in 1983, Tamiya Subaru Brat..... then in order: Tamiya Lambo Countach, Marui Hunter, Tamiya Hornet, Associated RC10, Optima Mid, then a long break til now
- Current RC Inventory: approx 300 cars/kits and tons of NIP parts
- RC Obsession: Vintage lexan (primarily 1/8 and 1/12 on road) and anything unusual or rare hop ups - can't get enough of them
- Other Interests: THE OUTDOORS! DH Mountain Biking, Running, Working Out, Nutritional Health, Web Programming (novice), Motorsports Photography, anything ALMS/Le Mans/IMSA (Auto Racing), Collecting Motorsports autographs, prints, diecast, & misc memoribilia, Reproducing my own RC decals and parts, Ebay
- I would rather be: in the woods on my Santa Cruz
- First thing I am buying when I win the lottery: Brand spanking new Porsche GT3
- RC car that I don't have that I really want: Yokomo Werks 91 NIB
- RC car I should have never parted with: NIB PB Mini Mustang (STUPID, STUPID, STUPID) - Update: FOUND ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!! :D
- My favorite in my collection: Really too many to name, but to name a few MINT SNIB 6010, MINT Tamiya Ford F150 Ranger, NIB Schumacher Cat, SNIB Associated RC500 4WD

Retro RC - I DO NOT LOOK LIKE FREDDY MERCURY (who invited you anyway) :lol: :mrgreen:

scollins
Approved Member

Post by scollins »

Well, I am new to rc10talk.com but not new to RC cars.

Age-34

Married? Yep, to a great woman Jennifer who puts up with my crap!

The bike? A Suzuki SV650 I bought new in 2000, now has 28,000 miles

Close calls on the Suzuki? Hit a goose in Minnesota going 60mph!

Long term restoration project?- 1964 Mercury Comet Cyclone (original 4spd car)

Whats your daily driver? SVT Focus 3dr. Euro spec package (Orange)

How long in RC? 23 years and counting, Any regrets? yeah traded my Bruiser in 1988 for a nitro RC boat. Stupid me.

current occupation? Sr. Automotive Designer for ASC Inc.

previous job? Lead Designer at Polaris for 5 years in Minneapolis

Pet peeves? Untrimmed body posts on RC cars and visible ear wax.

Former freelance jobs? Yea, 1991- 1994 illustrator-sketch artist for RC/Car Action magazine

Favorite RC memory? building my first car in 1985- Grasshopper

Any Associated stuff? yea, A real nice elec. DS Mercedes, 2 new-built RC10 6-gear cars (recent)
Attachments
me1.jpg
me1.jpg (127.19 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
me1.jpg
me1.jpg (127.19 KiB) Viewed 4203 times
When in doubt, throttle out ...... scollins

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Just updated my website, so you can check it all out here:
http://users.pandora.be/didier.lammens/erik/

Erik

johnqpublic
Approved Member

Let me introduce myself.

Post by johnqpublic »

Hello. My name is Paul Brauer. I am primarily a dirt oval racer who started in 1988 in the eastern half of New York state. First off I'd like to say that since Doug Carter steered some of us dirtoval.com'ers over here a week or so ago, I can't get enough of what you guys are doing! Your projects bring back a lot of memories!

I do need to confess something however: I have never owned an early RC10 <ducking>….I started off with an old Frog at the age of 14 on a outdoor dirt oval. It could barely stay together for a 4 minute race! Of course, there were a whole bunch of guys running these really cool cars with a gold aluminum chassis…..this was my first introduction to the RC10. Even though I never had any money at that age, I thought that I really needed to save my pennies for one of these RC10s for the next season.

There were always about 80 entries to race every Thursday night at our track! They had to have the lights out by 11:00, so that only gave them time for 1 round of heats & mains. Those were the days!

Anyhow, as summer moved to winter, and the local club moved inside to race on carpet, I bought a Bolink Invader. Now I was kinda stuck for the next summer season, but I did find out that Bolink made an independent rear suspension set up for the Invader. Well for those of you who remember that car, the plastic axle blocks lined up horribly, and the axle was really bound up…unfortunately I didn't know any better at the time, and the car was really slow. I had to hit my lines every lap and not run into stuff if I wanted to have a chance, and looking back, I credit that car with teaching me how to drive.

During that summer (1989), the local hobby shop owner had this car with goofy orange spoked wheels on the shelf and couldn't get rid of it, so he gave it to the kid that he had helping him in the store. Well that kid was not a reknowned driver at the track, but he built that JRX-2 and the first time on the track, he spanked the crap out of all the highly modified RC10s. Within 2 weeks, there were at least 15 new JRX-2s at the track! All thoughts of getting an RC10 left my mind…I knew I had to have one of these Losi cars!

For 1990, I finally got my JRX-2, and since that Bolink car taught me how to drive, I instantly went from being a C or D main driver to being in the top 5 every week. So, that’s how I became a "Losi guy"…and I still have that car, even thought it needs a lot of TLC, and its on its second chassis plate.

Well, as dirt oval cars got more sophisitcated, and I moved across the state, where RC10 based cars were dominant, I gradually began to run RC10 based DO cars. So, I've had Kranzel's Terminators, and Custom Works Intimidator 10s, but never an early RC10, even though I had lots of Stealth & rear suspension parts!

I now have 2 Putnam Terminators, a stock B3 and a stock B4, which I use to dabble in off-road, which I find to be a blast, even though I have almost no experience at it. I am also the head of the World Dirt Racing Association, which runs a dirt oval series in NY and PA throughout the summer.

Your site has inspired me to pull that old JRX-2 out of mothballs. It is pretty beat up....I sure cobbled a lot of stuff together back then. Its going to take a lot of effort & searching, but I'd like to try and restore it to the configuration that I ran it in back in 1990 & 91. Not sure how the availability of old Losi stuff is, but I guess I'll find out.

After that maybe I'll finally get that RC10 that I wanted in 1988!! LOL!

Love the site!
Paul

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

Here's me and my daily driver!!

10 points if you know what kind of car it is! 8)
Attachments
tom.jpg
Tom and Car
tom.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 4102 times
Tom and Car
Tom and Car
tom.jpg (182.42 KiB) Viewed 4102 times

RC10WORLD
Approved Member

Mannekenpis

Post by RC10WORLD »

Hello,

Very good thread, it is always nice to know who you are talking to.

I am born the 11 May 1970, married to Adeline and our son is just 6 months old. We are living in Orlando, FL. I used to be a jurist in my country (Belgium) and for now I am following a training to become an airline pilot.

Since I am 8, I have been in and out the hobby. The list of cars I owned is rather long, but it started with a Tamiya Lamborghini Countach LP500S, a Sand Rover the same year for St Nicholas (6 December 1978) and Christmas. Sand Scorcher, Marui Hunter, Hotshot, Hirobo, Optima... etc. My last buy, a NIB Schumacher CAT3000 2 years ago.

My race knowledge is not very sharp. In 1984, I raced a Hotshot and got lucky enough to win the championship, not to diminish my glorious time, let say we were many... maybe 18 :lol:. I raced the same year in 4x2 either. I started the season with the Sand Scorcher, Hunter then a fast Attack. My all time favourite car is the Hotshot (had to be) and the RC10. We travelled a lot and most of those cars were left behind.

It is a very relaxing hobby and I just love any remote control stuff I practice like airplanes and cars. Also, it is great fun for me to read this forum, there are really cool guys with an excellent knowledge of the hobby. Maybe the buy/sell "restricted area" makes no sense to me, since I have never met a Saint in my life and a 100% eBay feedback will not make you one. Btw, I have a 100% eBay feedback :wink:.

My pseudo is the name of the emblem of my city.

Have fun, be cool,

Mannekenpis.

RC10WORLD

FlyinGN
Approved Member

my turn

Post by FlyinGN »

hi all. Frank from Philly... I am director of Operations for Penn State University. Married to a beautiful woman for 19 years. Have one Son, 12. I am 45.. He is myself and My Son in Wildwood NJ.
Second pic is my wife and myself at a wedding..

JR
Approved Member

Post by JR »

Name: JR

I started out in this hobby by asking for a good old Tyko 4wd buggy for x-mas. Well all charged up and ready to go and the thing would only turn left. As any kid would react, I was devastated. A few days after that my father brought me to this warehouse that sells hobby grade RC's and we bought a Tamiya Grasshopper, couple of batts, charger and a Futaba remote. I was hooked, but the grasshopper didnt hook up well with the stock tires. It was upgraded with proline rims/tires, Trinity Green Machine motor and so on. On went the addiction and I got a Blackfoot. I loved that and had a blast with it. I got into sports and left the hobby for awhile, and returned to it at the age of 20 with a RC10 GT RTR. I was going to get into nitro. Well it grabbed me and pulled me in for the long haul of all kinds of rc's. I still prefer Nitro to electrics, but they require more maintence. After running alot of new kits I pursued kits that I wanted from when I was a poor lil kid. Then it went into all kinds o directions. I always wanted a RC10 Graphite which Im still looking to add to the collection though. Now Im here enjoying the obsession with all of you.

Heres a pic of me. I hope my wife doesnt see this pic. She doesnt like it too much. The pic I wanted is on my other computer, but it must be off as its not showing on my network. Oh well this will do for a bit. Me enjoying a night at Boston Billiards.
Attachments
BB.jpg
BB.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
BB.jpg
BB.jpg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

toymkr73
Approved Member

Post by toymkr73 »

Matt Hicks
married (Arleen)
5 kids all girls ( thats why I spend my time in the workshop playing with toys)
live in southern california

I am a commercial sculptor, working primarily for the toy industry
Love football ( played O line for the U of W in college GO DAWGS!!)
rc cars

here is a pic of my wife and my ugly mug!!!

really enjoy the site , also have a showroom on tamiya club

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

Post by Team Best Performance »

Manolis Troullos,currently based in Greece ,Mechanical Engineering student,family business producing parts for RC and Full Scale vehicles,Formula SAE & Shell Eco Marathon team supervisor.Dream: move abroad in a couple of years and make the company able to beat Asso and Losi (HA!), potential collaborators : p.m. me...

Photo:Formula SAE Italy 2005.The proud guy with the "legendary" (HA!) Canadian Grand Prix Digidyne black jacket and red hat is the talker,but the real showstopper is Daniella ,in the middle by far the sweetest female presence of the event...

Toyofast

Post by Toyofast »

Greetings fellow RC nerds! I'm Brett Carlson, live in Troutdale, OR and have been with the RC since '86. I have owned several RC-10's in my years and now am I kicking myself for tossing stuff into the trash or pawning it off onto friends over the years for next to nothing. I have owned and still own many RC's, even with my wifes dis-approval :lol:

I am what my work calls me... "Toyota Parts Pro". Not sure about it but I guess I am when it comes to Toyota parts, I know my stuff. I also own RCRockGear.com RCRockGear is on a vacation right now from buying/selling RC Crawler parts. I was the first crawler only business in the USA market. I also started the first crawler only group, now turned club back in 2003.... ORCRC, Oregon RC Rock Crawlers. We have a large group of rigs and people that show up to each competition.

I am very happy that I was turned onto this forum. I find myself spending more time here than my own forum....

I hope to bring good tech, ideas and posts to this board.

Minicooper 35
Approved Member

Post by Minicooper 35 »

Hi guys!

I am Sebastian, 29 years old, I live in Hamburg/Germany and work as an editor for a european RC Car magazine called RC Racer (Edit: the version in German language - there is also an English version). That means I can play with RC Cars 24/7! :D

I am into RC since 1993 or something like that. My first car was a Tamiya Manta Ray followed by a Kyosho Lazer ZX Sport and a second hand Lazer ZX. Around 1995 I ran into a bunch of people who raced in a park in the city I lived by that time. Each and everyone was racing an RC10! Beside one or two fellas most of them had the black tub Team Car and I fell in love. Eh, with the cars, not with the buddies over there ... :wink: I I sold everything I had at that time (except for my Honda scooter) and bought myself a brand new Team Car. What a fun! I gained my first race experience with that car. I managed finish in third place with borrowed tyres and a burned commutator. Skimming what!? :oops:

A couple of years later, when touring car was big all over the world, I sadly sold it. For a 1st gen Losi Steet Weapon I think.

After beeing a bit tired of all the racing I now focus on vintage cars. I started with a Tamiya Wild One which I traded for a TXT-1. Now everything is growing rappidly with a Kyosho Tomahawk, Gallop MkII and Turbo Ultima (all of them need some fixing in one or the other area). A couple of week ago I won an RC10 Graphite with original 6 gear gearbox and additional MIP gearbox for cheap on eBay. I also got a Duratrax RC10T/Losi LX-T nitro conversion kit with it. That startet the worst month my bank account ever had to deal with. I bought some bodies and stuff from MrLexan (Cheers Jay!), some Pro-Line wheel covers from toymkr73 and tried to buy some RPM part from shodog but I decided not to do that due to a another eBay find ... Sorry Jim.

Last weekend I startet to restore the Graphite. But I am not sure in which direction to go. I love the idea to make it a contemporary racer ... Time will tell.

Ok guys, that's for now.

Cheers

Sebastian
Attachments
me_winterchamps-AT.jpg
Me at the Off-Road Winterchamps in Hohenems, Austria
me_winterchamps-AT.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
me_winterchamps-AT.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
unser mini_klein.jpg
Another time and money consuming hobby ...
unser mini_klein.jpg (106.84 KiB) Viewed 3785 times
unser mini_klein.jpg (106.84 KiB) Viewed 3785 times

Whiskers
Approved Member

Post by Whiskers »

I hope this works, this is me.

And this is my scoot, just in case you wonder how I got the name Whiskers.

I also have a long history with RC stuff.

If you choose to ignore me here, that's fine and dandy.

P.S. You can click the pics to enlarge.

Thunderbruiser

Post by Thunderbruiser »

jayson born in 85...oMG only 22..haha i've got to be the youngest in this post...
Garage: MRC NTK/ETK,Revo,Mantis,Jammin X1 CR,Bullhead,Dark Impact,RT4-GP.TA02,FF01,MCD 1/5...more to come

e-mail [email protected]

amx73
Approved Member

Post by amx73 »

Jake, 28 yrs old, own a scrap yard in NJ... I've been into RC for about 15yrs. I also have a sweet collection of real cars(mostly AMC's) and drums! :D