End Of The Line YZ10

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

bscotti
Approved Member

Re: End Of The Line YZ10

Post by bscotti »

mrlexan wrote:I think Brian should be nominated as the Yok King.
nope, not me. There's another member here who is truly the king of all things Yokomo. He's taught me everything I know!
Classics rule, moderns drool

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Who?
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

Dual is the man!

ericsp2
Approved Member

Post by ericsp2 »

hey my other yoke came in today :D now i just need to get soem things from you lol. i will post pics for identification tonight. and yes i git the pm . I already have the black stock hold downs for the batteries,but would like to see yours. also pm the body prices. the two bodies look to be cut different.

ericsp2
Approved Member

Post by ericsp2 »

hey will this work on the front of the yoke?
Yokomo M2-252T KEVLAR FRONT DRIVE BELT ZC-653S, it's on ebay now
Attachments
09_1.jpg
09_1.jpg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
09_1.jpg
09_1.jpg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Thanks for theses extra pics. I should probably keep an eye out for one these motor mounts if they don'tgo too expensive

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

Post by Team Best Performance »

Awesome car! Dare I say that I liked this version even more than the MX-4 .It was like having the durability of the YZ-10 with the flexible spring loaded upper deck option .Did anyone really benefit from the spring loaded top deck in off road use?If yes in which way?I remember people changing it straight for the one piece in the case of the Mx-4.Does the skyscraper tower have different shock locations in the rear?Was it really durable?The motor mount is a nice piece of equipment,didn't team Suzuki have a similar blue anodised part at the time?

I remember the RCCA race coverage of the worlds warm up.It featured a mini interview with Masami,but I cannot find it anywhere now.Can anyone please post coverage of this race ,alongside with photos of the actual masami car?
Kyosho Triumph,Ultima Pro,Pro-X,Lazer ZXR MKII,Lazer ZX-S,Original Predator Woven C/F Chassis
Custom CNC Anodised Aluminium ,Carbon ,Fiberglass & Plastic parts for RC & full scale applications

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

Awesome car! Dare I say that I liked this version even more than the MX-4 .It was like having the durability of the YZ-10 with the flexible spring loaded upper deck option .Did anyone really benefit from the spring loaded top deck in off road use?If yes in which way?I remember people changing it straight for the one piece in the case of the Mx-4.Does the skyscraper tower have different shock locations in the rear?Was it really durable?The motor mount is a nice piece of equipment,didn't team Suzuki have a similar blue anodised part at the time?

I remember the RCCA race coverage of the worlds warm up.It featured a mini interview with Masami,but I cannot find it anywhere now.Can anyone please post coverage of this race ,alongside with photos of the actual masami car?

Regarding the spring loaded top-deck, this design was incorporated to make the chassis flex slightly which made the YZ10/MX-4 (and the Yokomo on-road cars) more forgiving to drive. It was beneficial for the offroad cars on especially bumpy/rough tracks. As you mentioned, most racers switched to the one piece top-deck on their MX-4's (possibily to let the suspension do all the damping and not the chassis) but I think depending on what track you drove on and how you liked the set-up of your car, the spring loaded top-deck did have it's advantages on certain tracks.

The '97 Spec. rear shock tower does have different shock mounting locations. The lower hole (where Brian has mounted his shocks) is the equivalent to the middle hole of the 1994 YZ10/Pavidis Edition shock tower whilst the upper hole is new and requires the use of the longer 1.32 Associated (or other) shocks. The front '97 Spec Tower also has a new mounting hole and also requires the longer 1.02 shocks. For the front tower, only 1 hole is provided.

I have both the Yokomo ZD-304S Motor Mount and the Team Suzuki version and although they are very similar in design, the Yokomo mount really looks like it was machined better and is more precise dimensions wise. The way the T.C.S. layshaft moves/runs in the Yokomo mount explains why the Yokomo mount retailed for circa $130.00 US whilst the Team Suzuki version could be purchased for circa $40-50.00 US. Saying that, the material that the Yokomo mount is made from is softer than the Team Suzuki version.

Regarding the RCCA magazines you speak of, the Worlds Warm-up issue did not come with a mini interview of Masami although it did have some very,very small shots of his winning 2WD and 4WD buggies. The actual 1997 Worlds issue came with a mini interview of Masami so maybe you had these 2 issues confused. If I can get hold of a scanner, I will scan them and put them in the Scan Forum.

Vin

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Dual wrote: I have both the Yokomo ZD-304S Motor Mount and the Team Suzuki version and although they are very similar in design, the Yokomo mount really looks like it was machined better and is more precise dimensions wise.
Did the Yokomo version have built in tensionsers for the belt aswell?

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

Did the Yokomo version have built in tensionsers for the belt aswell?
They are not built in but a separate part attached to the motor mount (basically a screw, washer and 2 small ball bearings). There is one tensioner for the front belt whilst the rear belt has 2 tensioners. If you run the T.C.S. (traction control system), You can only use the belt tensioner for the front belt as the rear belt tensioners interfere with the slipper disc. If you run the gear adapter (no T.C.S.), you can run both front and rear tensioners.

Hope this answers your question.

YZ-10
Approved Member

Post by YZ-10 »

thats great info!

bscotti
Approved Member

Post by bscotti »

see, I told you I wasn't the king. All hail Dual ...

Team Best Performance
Approved Member

Post by Team Best Performance »

Vin,you are right.The Suzuki part did look very high quality.In the Car Action issue I am remembering,there is a small black and white pic of Masami's Yoke,body off,showing the new towers and the spring loaded top deck.I remember it showing kinwald's XX-4 in the air and a Yoke Yz-10 with BBS yellow style wheels somewhere.I do not really know if what I am talking about is the Warm Up article or some other big race Masami attended in the US at a very close time.Anyway,looking forward to seeing the article again whenever you feel like doing so.Thanks for the info.They are greatly appreciated.
Kyosho Triumph,Ultima Pro,Pro-X,Lazer ZXR MKII,Lazer ZX-S,Original Predator Woven C/F Chassis
Custom CNC Anodised Aluminium ,Carbon ,Fiberglass & Plastic parts for RC & full scale applications

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Another top deck question

Post by Mr. ED »

I never understood how this top deck with the spring could work with a belt drive. Doesn't the belt skip on the pulleys when the spring gets compressed?

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

I never understood how this top deck with the spring could work with a belt drive. Doesn't the belt skip on the pulleys when the spring gets compressed?
The spring itself is very stiff and the the assembled set-up is quite rigid. There is very little movement. Before this option became available, some racers I knew used to remove 1 or both of the topdeck posts to allow a little over all chassis flex to help with handling/grip. The effect is very similar to the topdeck-spring option.