TOTAL & UTTER Sacrilege!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Re: TOTAL & UTTER Sacrilege!

Post by scr8p »

yup... what david said. that chassis will never be able to be an rc10 again.

ThomasH
Approved Member

Post by ThomasH »

I had no idea the original carbon chassis were collectable. It would not be hard to make a reproduction of the AE chassis.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the hard part is getting carbon fiber sheet with the kickup already molded in.

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

You can buy sheets of CF from a composites maker with kickup built in. just buy a sheet with a 30 degree layup. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1090&step=2&top_cat=1053
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

markt311 wrote:You can buy sheets of CF from a composites maker with kickup built in. just buy a sheet with a 30 degree layup. http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1090&step=2&top_cat=1053
the stuff in that link is laminate.

there's only one place i've heard of that will make you cf sheet with a kickup. and right now, i can't remember the name of the place.

ThomasH
Approved Member

Post by ThomasH »

The problems is some one would have to pay for the buck. This would probably work out as $300 as a one off chassis. This is a problem as there has been a original one on ebay for quite some time now at that price so cant see any one paying that for a reproduction if there nor willing to pay it for a real one. If it was a small run of them the price would drop to $200/150 ish. At the moment I am sorting out a carbon reproduction of the original alloy tub. I tried to get a alloy one but there were no new ones about so thought may as well.
I will get some photos up when its finished. I am planning to make a few other parts its just hard to get hold of a original part to copy these days.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

ThomasH wrote:The problems is some one would have to pay for the buck. This would probably work out as $300 as a one off chassis. This is a problem as there has been a original one on ebay for quite some time now at that price so cant see any one paying that for a reproduction if there nor willing to pay it for a real one. If it was a small run of them the price would drop to $200/150 ish. At the moment I am sorting out a carbon reproduction of the original alloy tub. I tried to get a alloy one but there were no new ones about so thought may as well.
I will get some photos up when its finished. I am planning to make a few other parts its just hard to get hold of a original part to copy these days.
Atomic-Carbon is already making those, they sell for 150£ but the kick-up has to be drilled by the buyer...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Asso_man! wrote:
ThomasH wrote:The problems is some one would have to pay for the buck. This would probably work out as $300 as a one off chassis. This is a problem as there has been a original one on ebay for quite some time now at that price so cant see any one paying that for a reproduction if there nor willing to pay it for a real one. If it was a small run of them the price would drop to $200/150 ish. At the moment I am sorting out a carbon reproduction of the original alloy tub. I tried to get a alloy one but there were no new ones about so thought may as well.
Atomic-Carbon is already making those, they sell for 150£ but the kick-up has to be drilled by the buyer...
as i said before....... ya, what david said. :)

if it's something you really want to do, you should consider making it a 1 piece chassis the fusion speed to set yourself apart. being as though you can already get a cf tub and nose plate from another company.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Asso_man! wrote:Atomic-Carbon is already making those, they sell for 150£
climb dollar, climb!
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Asso_man! wrote:Dude, please try to write in black, green letters on a white screen is not that readable without having a headache after 2 words, thanks!
I dont know if its just my computer screen,but this webpage has a dark grey backgound with white lettering (or in some cases-green). What the?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I know the stuff in my link is laminate. I've called them and they will make anything you want, any weave, any color, and they already have the bucks. They don't throw them away after a run, from what they told me for 2.5 or 3mm cf weave about $90-100 for a sheet, you could probably get 2 chassis and shock towers out of a sheet so $300 each is a little out there. It helps if you call a place and talk to them before ass uming. :lol: or you could pay too much on ebay for an original, I like making my own stuff
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

bormac wrote:I dont know if its just my computer screen,but this webpage has a dark grey backgound with white lettering (or in some cases-green). What the?
there actually 3 different board styles. if you go into your "user control panel", in the menu on the left, click on "board preferences". in the list that pops up, you'll see "board style". click on the box 2 the right and all three styles will show up. if you try out prosilver or subsilver, you'll see why the green letters are more difficult to read.

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

there's only one place i've heard of that will make you cf sheet with a kickup. and right now, i can't remember the name of the place.
http://www.da-graphite.com but when i emailed them they said that they dont do bends

http://www.graphiteelegance.com is the other but they went on vacation and never came back. too bad because they would make anything out of graphite for r/c planes and cars and it was very reasonable.

FasterLouder
Approved Member

Post by FasterLouder »

Yeah,I see it,now... :(
I guess I'll have to just hang it on the wall and dream of what could have been,huh?
All The Way Alive

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

FasterLouder wrote:Yeah,I see it,now... :(
I guess I'll have to just hang it on the wall and dream of what could have been,huh?
If I were you I would strip it down, clean everything, make a graphite plate to set the side link holders more to the outside of the chassis and redrill 2 holes for the steering rack to be closer to the front bulkhead. In my opinion, it's actually a good project, it just needs to be engineerd a bit further...