Re: Class 8 Conversion?

Post by RER40 »

i'll take it..........pm me

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

I might be interested, I just got one on eBay, check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150334713681

It looks like it's in pretty good condition, I will check it out when it comes.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Just wondering if there are any differences to the suspension? Are the A-arms the same length? How about the shock towers? I am just trolling through eBay looking for spare parts to accumulate and just want to make sure all the stock suspension parts are unchanged.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return - Leonardo da Vinci

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

You need bumper kits and body mount kits thats all you change. I have some I will get you pictures
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

as you can see in these 2 images, the only difference is what Rick mentioned...front and rear body mounts. Everything else remains exactly the same...

With mounts:

Without mounts:
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

Thanks for the clarification. Now I don't have to worry about getting specific parts for my new addition. I think the one I got off eBay already has some graphite parts, but I think I am going to upgrade any that are already not graphite. I took all of your advice and got some parts (tower braces, caster block screw set... ) from x-factory to help reinforce some of the cars weak points. Now I think I am going to work on tracking down more spares so I can keep it running for years to come! Can't wait for warmer weather so our track will open!

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

DHC6 wrote: I think the one I got off eBay already has some graphite parts, but I think I am going to upgrade any that are already not graphite.
Keep in mind...graphite breaks easier than the standard "plastic".
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

True, however I have found that the new plastic that Losi uses (don't know if they use it to produce "new" parts for the older cars) is very soft and flexes way to much. I didn't get my Desert Truck to compete, but the suspension arms twist like crazy, and like I said I didn't get it to race, I got it to have fun, so I don't really care that there is that much flex. The plastic on my XX however (I don't remember what Losi called the material) is much stiffer, and is more like graphite then the plastic they use today on their cars. If the XX-4 is made from the same material then I will just stick with the stock stuff, but if it's made of the same soft stuff on their newer cars (i.e. the Desert Truck) then it's gotta go. I have been racing for many years and have a lot of experience with Losi's different materials, and I know how brittle graphite can be, but it's worth the performance gains. Plus I run hard, but not abusive, and I take great care (especially my older cars) not to hit or land the car in a way to break arms and other parts (sh :( t happens, but I do my best not to break them :mrgreen:, not that others don't, but you know what I mean).

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I dont know what material Losi uses on their Desert Truck, but the standard plastic for the xx4 (stiffezel) hasnt changed. The newer "race" cars (non RTR kit cars) are made from EA3, not sure what that is, but I think it has replaced graphite? Maybe someone more in the know about it can chime in.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

I won't claim to know more than JK, but from looking over my brother's XXXT RTR they use a very flexy plastic for their rtr's. Almost like it's a nylon and not really a fiber or graphite mix at all.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

DHC6
Approved Member

Post by DHC6 »

stiffezel! That's it! That was a the higher grade material before graphite, and if you look at the two they are very similar. Stiffezel seems to have many of the same properties as graphite, maybe it's what it evolved into? If you have a broken piece of each they are very similar. I also am not sure what they call the new plastic on the RTR's but it's very flexible, and not to good for performance. Seems to be fairly durable though, maybe that's down to it's flexibility.

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

From my understanding (when I was an Academy team driver, really pressuring them for graphite parts) the difference between stiffezel (or similar "plastic" race parts) and graphite was the amount of actual carbon fibers present in the mix. I havent has a Losi RTR anything since the Mini T first came out, so I cant comment on what they are using now. Probably a compound close to Traxxas parts. Sometime I feel I can twist my Slash front shock tower 180 degrees and not hurt it.
--Joey --
JKRacingRC.com