PBR Allstar's dirt oval thread! UPDATE!

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

lowrydesign
Approved Member

Re: PBR Allstar's dirt oval thread! pics and vids!

Post by lowrydesign »

PBR Allstar wrote:
lowrydesign wrote:thats not powered by a "reject pack" is it......lol
C'mon now Greg,, You know I only use the finest in 2nd rate cheap chinese lipo packs!

hahah "His name is Kevin Osmond" "oh, those are the rejects....cause, i piss excellence" snap!!

Bent
Approved Member

Post by Bent »

Ok PBR I will see what I can get done this week I have a few springs lying around. I lalso plan on heading to the track friday if i can. (wish they would make it saturday) I will be sure to let you know how the car does.
You run me in the grass imma run you in the wall, drive like a racer not a flippin idiot

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Cool Bent! yeah, definitely let me know how it does, pay attention to how the car is working, what changes you make and how it affects the car.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Okay, here's a little something else going on in the Dirt Oval category. Just dropped her off at the sign painter's (yes, I said painter, no vinyl is touching this one). All new bodywork and fresh powdercoat, should be all done this weekend and ready for the up coming california non winged 360 open shows!

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

Sorry I haven't been around for a little bit. Got the race car all finished up, went to the races, qualified well, crashed in the heat race which netted me a broken back and a ride to the nearest hospital in the back of a meat wagon! I'm gonna be okay, crushed T4/T5 and chipped c7. spent seven days in the hospital flat on my back, and will be out of work and commision for the most part for the next two months. here are some pics for your veiwing pleasure!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: PBR Allstar's dirt oval thread! UPDATE!

Post by klavy69 »

I don't use this word often but...DUDE! :shock:

I'm thinkin you should've zigged when you zagged but in the end hope you get better soon...or at least what you can do...you know what I mean...
Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

PBR Allstar wrote:Sorry I haven't been around for a little bit. Got the race car all finished up, went to the races, qualified well, crashed in the heat race which netted me a broken back and a ride to the nearest hospital in the back of a meat wagon! I'm gonna be okay, crushed T4/T5 and chipped c7. spent seven days in the hospital flat on my back, and will be out of work and commision for the most part for the next two months. here are some pics for your veiwing pleasure!
Ouch, that sucks. Is the car OK? LOL

Glad you're not permanently injured. I hope you didn't do anything rash like get rid of all your equipment right away; every time I hear of somebody doing that, it costs them a lot more to buy all new stuff when they get back into it.

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

markt311 wrote:It's nice to have a place for dirt oval stuff.

My question is: I just picked up a Dual Sport and I was thinking about making it a dirt oval car, What class would it convert to the best? They run bombers and Sprint cars mostly right now, they're trying to get a latemodel class going but I don't want to have the only one out there. Bombers they want your car to be truck based and they limit the tires to street tires, I'm not real keen on that class cause they are always really loose. How would it do as a sprint car?
The DS is a bit narrow for dirt ovals, if you are trying to run against regular-width cars. There was a spec class for them at my LHS years ago, but it died out within a year like pretty much every spec class they ever tried (Legends, parking long racing, etc. I expect the Losi sprinters and late models to be dead soon too). Guys also tried making 'staggered' cars with RC10 buggy arms on the right and DS arms on the left, but nobody ever really stuck with it. For the heck of it I actually built a rolling chassis with DS arms on the left and RC10T arms on the right, with a mid-mounted motor on a graphite chassis, but I never got it running.

What bodies would they run in the 'bomber' class?

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

[quote="PBR Allstar"]Sorry I haven't been around for a little bit. Got the race car all finished up, went to the races, qualified well, crashed in the heat race which netted me a broken back and a ride to the nearest hospital in the back of a meat wagon! I'm gonna be okay, crushed T4/T5 and chipped c7. spent seven days in the hospital flat on my back, and will be out of work and commision for the most part for the next two months. here are some pics for your veiwing pleasure!

/quote]

I hope you have a speedy recovery.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

SteveK wrote:

My question is: I just picked up a Dual Sport and I was thinking about making it a dirt oval car, What class would it convert to the best? They run bombers and Sprint cars mostly right now, they're trying to get a latemodel class going but I don't want to have the only one out there. Bombers they want your car to be truck based and they limit the tires to street tires, I'm not real keen on that class cause they are always really loose. How would it do as a sprint car?
The DS is a bit narrow for dirt ovals, if you are trying to run against regular-width cars. There was a spec class for them at my LHS years ago, but it died out within a year like pretty much every spec class they ever tried (Legends, parking long racing, etc. I expect the Losi sprinters and late models to be dead soon too). Guys also tried making 'staggered' cars with RC10 buggy arms on the right and DS arms on the left, but nobody ever really stuck with it. For the heck of it I actually built a rolling chassis with DS arms on the left and RC10T arms on the right, with a mid-mounted motor on a graphite chassis, but I never got it running.

They run car bodies, like chevy belairs and stuff like that, they are really ugly though and the spec tires make the racing close, but they handle like turds.

I'm probably just going to put some buggy arms on the DS and cut a chassis out of G10 and make it into a sprinter or late model, which ever class has the most people in it. Mid motor sounds like an interesting idea, I built a car way back with a mid motor and a 6 gear tranny but I never ran it before I gave it away. I think I had all of $40 invested into it.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

SteveK
Approved Member

Post by SteveK »

markt311 wrote:
SteveK wrote:

They run car bodies, like chevy belairs and stuff like that, they are really ugly though and the spec tires make the racing close, but they handle like turds.

I'm probably just going to put some buggy arms on the DS and cut a chassis out of G10 and make it into a sprinter or late model, which ever class has the most people in it. Mid motor sounds like an interesting idea, I built a car way back with a mid motor and a 6 gear tranny but I never ran it before I gave it away. I think I had all of $40 invested into it.
I messed with a few different layouts for cars and trucks for oval racing. I started with a standard truck with Pro-Line Strikers, which was basically the 'spec' tire for the LHS. Then I bought enough parts to turn it into a buggy with an Easter Dirt Modified body, which was built with the tranny turned around, and it was on an RC10T graphite chassis so the front was narrowed down to fit the front of the chassis. The next layout was a mid-motor 10T on the same chassis, with Factory Works front and rear shock towers and supermodified truck body (good stuff BTW, definitely check out his site), and then the radically offset car with the same old EDM body. I really wasn't wild about racing there, mostly the "pay $10 for two heats and a main", so mostly I just built stuff to see how it would look.

I never really got a handle on the mid-motor RC10, mostly because I just didn't spend enough time on it. The first few test sessions and race were with Pro-Line Striker buggy tires, since they worked on the trucks and I liked to try new things. I ran the battery sideways in the chassis, since I didn't have enough room to put it off to the left, and the rear shocks needed a lot of work on the damping. The hot setup for the past, oh 15 years, had been Pro-Line 1.6" waffle tires in the rear and Grasshopper/Hornet wheels and tires up front (later narrowed waffles), and I tried thought for a race or two, but I really couldn't get into racing at that track so I gave up after that.

I actually haven't been in an organized race in almost 10 years now. Soon after I went to college about 15 minutes away from the CRC shop and 1/12th scale track, and almost dropped $250 or so on a car and gear to race there, but I realized what would likely end up happening.

I'm in the middle of converting a 10T to a short-course truck, but once I have that settled I wanted to throw together some of these builds and take pictures, since this was all before I had a digital camera. I've gotten halfway into it a few times, but realized I'd be taking them apart to use parts on the 10T, so I figured it best to wait until that was done.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

SteveK wrote:
PBR Allstar wrote:Sorry I haven't been around for a little bit. Got the race car all finished up, went to the races, qualified well, crashed in the heat race which netted me a broken back and a ride to the nearest hospital in the back of a meat wagon! I'm gonna be okay, crushed T4/T5 and chipped c7. spent seven days in the hospital flat on my back, and will be out of work and commision for the most part for the next two months. here are some pics for your veiwing pleasure!
Ouch, that sucks. Is the car OK? LOL

Glad you're not permanently injured. I hope you didn't do anything rash like get rid of all your equipment right away; every time I hear of somebody doing that, it costs them a lot more to buy all new stuff when they get back into it.

The car is a bit tore up, not trying to worry about it too much at the moment. the frame will require a trip to the frame shop as it's repair is a bit out of what I want to tackle, not that I couldn't do it, but on of the best sprint car frame guys is within a couple hours and he can fix it for about a tenth of the headache it would cost me. The front axle, spindles, hubs are junk, but those are pretty much dissposable parts on sprinters, the rear quick change housing got cracked which is kind of odd, and I'm not sure about the rear axle. outside of that I didn't tear up much more than a little body work. Oh, and my helmet, when the car flipped it came down on the corner of the concrete wall and my helmet took a shot off that, not sure if it's comprimised at all but like with any piece of saftey equipment, if there's any suspect to it then replace it.

Anyway, I'm not going to run off and sell it for pennies on the dollar, but I might put it back together and look for a nice dirt modified trade or something.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

klavy69 wrote:I don't use this word often but...DUDE! :shock:

I'm thinkin you should've zigged when you zagged but in the end hope you get better soon...or at least what you can do...you know what I mean...
Todd
yeah, not really sure what happened Todd, first off the race was a "run what ya brung" outlaw non wing race, and I was running a limited carburated car, so immediately I was down a couple hundred horsepower at best, I ran well at the race last year so I figured we could make the show and at least pay for us to be there. Anyway, I started on the pole of my heat, with a couple USAC cars (there was a big two day USAC show on saturday and sunday a couple hours away at Calistoga, so some of those guys were at the track on friday for this show) next to and behind me. I figured they would kill me on the start, but if I could run in the transfer of my heat I'd be okay. That was pretty much exactally what happened, I settled into fourth place after the second lap and kind of figured that's where we'd run, which was the last transfer spot. then, on the fourth lap entering turn three I set the car and it went in really nice, then when I went back to the gas she got up on the RR tire a little, I'm not sure whether the car jumped the cushion a little or just got really good bite on the RR tire, but either way I thought I felt it bicycle a little so I got out of the gas to settle the car, and then the thing just snapped towards the wall and hooked the left side and went over harder than anything I've ever felt. It flipped once really hard and landed with the top of the cage down on the corner of the concrete wall, then fliped one and a half times after that (or so I'm told). I don't remember a single thing after the car started the violent flip other than the sound of the front axle being torn out of the car, but apparently I was able to get myself out of the car and walk back to my pit stall. Back at my pit I sat down and my guys instantly got the officials to get the medics over. Aside from being white as a ghost my crew cheif said one of my pupils was about the size of a dime while he couldn't even find the other one. Once the Paramedics showed up they did the usual, asked me my name, where I was, my birthday, and how old I was. I only managed 50% on those questions, I was also complaing about pain in my back and chest. They loaded me on the spine board like you see in the pic and from there it was off to the hospital in the back of the meat wagon. I remember most of the ambulance ride, and the medics were kind enough to pull down my fire suit to start the IV rather than cutting it off. So yeah, that's about it. the next week was spent flat on my back in a cervical thoratic body brace, I'm off my back now, but get to keep that brace for a couple months 24-7.

xanadu
Approved Member

Post by xanadu »

It sounds dumb, but it looks like the safety equipment did it's job pretty well. It's good to know that you kind of walked away from it. Cars are cheap compared to people. If the helmet has a scratch on it, don't you have to throw it away? Good luck in the future.

longboardnj
Approved Member

Post by longboardnj »

SteveK wrote:

chassis with DS arms on the left and RC10T arms on the right with off set battery is a car i always wanted to make!!! any pics of this?? if not what front end did you use?? i was thinking buggy or maybe ds..do the ds arms fit on buggy front end without mods or do you have to trim the mount???